A Question for Mikie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

This concerns the cost of Guaifenisin tablets. I just called my pharmacy and they said 600 mg Guai tablets would run $53.00 for 100. I can't believe this is so much higher than the price you stated! What gives?

Hippo
  2. Hippo

Hippo New Member

This concerns the cost of Guaifenisin tablets. I just called my pharmacy and they said 600 mg Guai tablets would run $53.00 for 100. I can't believe this is so much higher than the price you stated! What gives?

Hippo
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Hippo,

I was told by the ditzy pharmacy asst. a long time ago that I was paying the actual cost of the Guai because it was less than my co-pay. Evidently, that was either incorrect, OR, if you buy it without an RX, the charge is mucho mas. In any case, when I priced it today, the druggist wanted about $80 for 100 tablets if I just bought it without an Rx. Yikes! Since I'm not presently taking it because my skin-care stuff is blocking it, I will refill my 90 tablets day after tomorrow and just hang on to it.

There is a story circulating that it will be impossible to buy the 600 mg LA tablets because one company is going to produce it for OTC sales and has the only patent on Guai in it's LA form. The pharmacist told me that is blatently false and that the company which produces mine definitely holds a patent on the LA form of the product. This has all the feeling of one of those urban myth stories which circulate from time to time, but I wouldn't want to say for sure.

There are websites which sell the Guai without an Rx online. I found it for about $8 for 60 of the 600 mgs LA tablets I take. That's about what I am paying for it at the pharmacy. There is a one-time $20 setup charge.

Now, y'all know I normally disapprove of buying drugs online, but I would make an exception for the Guai. It's such a benign drug and is available at the pharmacy without an Rx.

This is as much as I know about all this.

Love, Mikie
  4. Hippo

Hippo New Member

THank you for your reply, but I still don't get it. You are now paying about $8 for 90 tablets, and now your pharmacist says it's going to be $80??? I don't get what happened. How can your prescription price jump that high that quickly?

Hippo
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm paying around $12 for 90 tablets. I compared that to buying 60 tablets for $8. comes out about the same.

There were people lining up behind me and the pharmacist was all alone, so I couldn't pursue the conversation. I will try to find out more when I get my refill.

I know this is confusing. I'm confused myself.

Love, Mikie
  6. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Please let me know when this mystery is solved!

Hippo