A question for Mikie...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lmn, Mar 2, 2003.

1. lmn

lmn New Member

What are probiotics, and where can I buy them? Also, how are they different from vital enzymes? Are we supposed to take them at the same time? And lastly, what will they do for us?
    As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge!!
    lmn
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Probiotics are beneficial bacteria which our guts need in order to properly digest our food. Our bodies slow down in their production at about age 35, so we need to supplement them. The Jarro-Dophilus sold here is an excellent product. I've been on antibiotics for more than a year without gut problems. Many food allergies are caused from Leaky Gut Syndrome which is due to lack of good bacteria in the gut. Large pieces of undigested food is leaked into the bloodstream where the immune system recognized them as foreign substances and voila, food allergy. Probiotics are best taken on an empty stomach 30 minutes before eating.

Enzymes also help us digest food. I take a simple papaya enzyme after eating and it seems to be adequate. Others here take more comprehensive enzyme products. Some take them with food and some on an empty stomach. Perhaps they will respond. In the meantime, type enzymes into the search window here and it will bring up all the posts on this subject.

Love, Mikie