A Question for one of the Moderators

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by polliwog, Jan 15, 2003.

1. polliwog

polliwog New Member

I am wondering if I would be eligible for the SSDI if I have not worked much outside the home. I will be 61 soon, and my husband will be 62 soon. He plans on taking his SS retirement at that time. Would that affect my abality to recieve benifets as his wife?

I was a stay at home mom except for a few years when I was self employed with my own ceramic shop. I don't have too many quarters paid into the system, but I am really sick now, and can't work to suplement our income. I have been going downhill for some time now, and was shocked when I saw the photos the family took at Christmas as to how sick I look. My smile can no longer conceal the truth.

Your reply would be appreciated. I never considered that I might be eligible for SSDI. Poli
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

At 62 you can draw your husbands SS, and he can also. I think it is the same in all states.

I could not draw my husband's, as I am older then he is, he would have to be 62 before I can draw on his. If you are refused the fist time, then just keep applying, they have to give you his.

As for as the SSDI, I can't help, but others here can help you.

Hope this is of some help.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. polliwog

polliwog New Member

I appreciate your input. Thanks Poli
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I don't think you would qualify if you haven't worked five out of the last ten years. Here's info from the disability link at the top of the page.

Barbara

“SSDI” stands for “Social Security Disability Insurance”, an insurance program for workers who become unable to work. It is administered by the Social Security Administration (“SSA”), funded by “FICA” tax withheld from workers’ pay and by employer contributions, and pays qualifying disabled workers both cash and health care benefits. Workers who have worked and paid FICA tax for at least 5 of the 10 years prior to onset of their disability generally will be covered by SSDI. Younger workers can qualify with fewer years of work. You can apply for SSDI benefits (and learn whether your are covered for SSDI) at any SSA office or by calling SSA toll-free at 800-772-1213.