A question for the tattooed. bumped for petsrme

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Alyndra, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

How many people have had problems going through a major flare after being tattooed?

I'm quite familiar with the sensations of being tattooed, and have never found any of them to be considerably painful - but I haven't been tattooed since my health went downhill.

Now that I've come to terms with I can't "wait for the pain to go away" I'm planning my next piece.

I'm also wondering about the time being put into a new piece. I've already had 72 hours of work done, and my next piece I'll be looking around 16-20 hours for.

I'm not sure if I should take it slow and do it in a bunch of small sittings, or bite the bullet and have it all done at once.

Small sittings may be less pain in the long run - but it's a 3 hour drive to where I get mine done. Being in a car for 3 hrs to then have just a few hrs sitting time would still turn out to be a full day's worth in the end.

Cramming it all into a day or two would mean a long sitting time, and considerably more discomfort; but less driving time.

For me, before my 'good health' decided to go on strike - a 3 hr car ride was more uncomfortable for me then a 3 hr ink sitting.

As well, I'm also wondering if the needles will be more painful because it will be ontop of all the other pain? Or if it will be less painful because we deal with such a constant pain anyways? Or if really, there won't be any difference at all?

Anyone who's done the tattoo thing, be it before or after becoming sick; your experiences and ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

~Amanda
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/28/2006]
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

my friend has a body piercing and tattoo shop (UK) - she's visitng tomorrow so I'll ask her what she thinks and let you know.

love
    Rosie
  3. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I have gotten a piece done since I've been sick and sat for 4 1/2 hours and there was no flare repercusions. It was on my right upper arm. The hardest part was sitting still for that long. We only took 2 15 minute breaks so I could wiggle around because I wanted to get it done. I haven't gotten any color done on it yet, so that was just the outline and shading.

And just to give you some background info on me to use in your comparison, I'm 26, I've been unable to work for 2 years because I am so sick and in pain pretty much all over my body. I have FMS and CFS.

I decided I couldn't wait anymore either so I just went ahead with the tattoo anyways. Everything went well and the tattooing didn't seem to bother me at all, which was what I'd hoped for since it didn't bother me before I got really sick. There wasn't much extra pain, although I did notice that my pain threshhold was lower than it used to be, so if he got to a tender area it did sting a bit more... but other than that, all was well. I just tried to stay as relaxed as possible so I didn't bugger up any of the rest of my muscles in the process. I wish you luck with your experience and let us know how it goes.

hugs
    Shananegans
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

and piercings years after I got CFS. They didn't have any effect on my health.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And had no ill effects from it.

Love, Mikie
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and last one...it was painful for me..and my anxiety was bad...i was sweating so much that my sandals slid off my feet...it was a nice tatoo...i don't think the needling is going to make a difference w/the fibro...just aware of the sterilzation of everything..new ink and new needles...
    or get the heck out of there...
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2006]
  7. Meghanne

Meghanne New Member

I had no problems at all after any of my tattoos or piercings. In fact because of the endorphins released because of the pain of the procedures I actually felt less fibro pain. Go figure. :)

Trish
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

my friend with the piercing and tatto shop said you should discuss it with your tattooist - to see if he/she will stop if it gets too much for you. Also to get someone to drive you there and back.

She says that it depends on where you're getting tattooed too as there are parts that are more sensitive than others - she can take a lot of work on her upper arms but not underneath the arms, she says it's very sore for her there.

Also the muscle pain we suffer is different from the pain from tattooing.

I think it will depend on your energy levels more than anything.

Good luck.

love
    Rosie
  9. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I just got a piece done in September and it hurt like hell. More than before the fibro. I was in the chair for an hour and a half. I wouldnt recomend any longer. It didnt put me in a flare. I was not in a flare prior so that helps. If I was in a flare I wouldnt even attempt it. It had been years since I got one done and oh my goodness it was painful. I posted my tatoo on my profile picture if you want to see it. Good luck with yours. Post yours on your profile so we can see them.
    hugs poodlemum
    ps. your never too old for a tatoo either, Im 50
  10. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but I've never minded the needles the doctor uses to numb you.I went last week and almost passed out from the pain of the needle.Linda
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You're right. Different sensations in different places.

Where does a tattoo hurt the least?

On someone else. (Old joke)

12. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Thanks for asking that question and thanks for all the answers.
    I have 3 tattoos now, I got them all before I was really sick with FM.
    I had been wanting to get a fourth (I had always wanted 4) but was worried that it would cause a flare in me. Now that I hear that some of you have gone through this successfully I have more hope that I will be able to get my final tattoo!!

It's nice to not have to give up everything!!
  13. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

mine was done after i got ill and i was fine. its not a big one and its at the top of my arm.

i do notice however that when i flare the skin seems to rises as though its blistered and i find my tat itchy but thats one of the symptoms ~ delicate/over reactive skin.

i would get someone to drive you ~ i drove for mine but my friend was having her lower back done and its only two miles away.
  14. lardsgirl

lardsgirl New Member

We each react to things so differently..We are wired crazy...But I love my old tattoo..she is 38 years old and it was a gift from my dad...way back when....
  15. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I think I'm going to do it all at once.

I've sat though 14 hours before, and I've even done 2 artists working at once.

For what I'm having done, I don't want to do 6 hrs worth of a car ride, and only a couple hours of tattooing each time.. ONTOP of having to let it heal before each time I go back. I'm a very, VERY slow healer..

It would probably take a good 6 months to finish it doing that way!

Myself I can't drive anymore because of my meds, so that won't be a problem - and I have needles nearly on a weekly basis and those haven't hurt anymore then they used to.

I've put a picture up of the piece I'm currently working on. There will be a large angel, stone statue like, put above and behind the reaper. She'll be looking down on him and will span from my waist to my knee.

Once the angel is finished and in place, then I'll start working on the fillers and atmosphere. Eventually it'll completely wrap around my leg.

Then I get to start on the other leg! lol

All the feedback you guys have given is really appreciated! I've worked with the same artist for quite some time now, and he knows when it's a good time to take breaks. I'm not sure I'd be thinking about doing any of this if I had to work with another artist.

The guy that does my work it quite used to my allergies and such, and has always made it comfortable for me to be there. The fibro limitations will be a new experience, I haven't even seen him since before this DD went into full gear.

It's funny how just talking about having it done is making me so excited about doing it!! For me, it's something that I like to do that I'm not going to let this DD take away from me.

If anyone else has any tips or stories feel free to share!!

~Amanda
  16. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hiya.
    your very brave, up to 20 hours at once. when its settled and healed will you post us a pic?

i was going to ask in my first reply what will it be but its a very personal question so i deleted it.

smiff xx
  17. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

freaky piece, my son will love it, I have to show it to him.

Very artistic though. Hope you manage to have it all completed without too much pain.

love
    Rosie
  18. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i like the trip idea, thats not a bad idea.

was it ak who said you would have one by the summer? i will edit if not. i spent ages deciding on mine. not everybody agrees with me and thats part of the beauty of them but i think of tats as being so personal so i choose things that reflect parts of me,and i only ever have origional art,never a design of the wall.

spend some time and doodle, churn it over by yourself and when you have a good idea chat to your spouse or friend, my hub came up with a cute feature for my sheep (baaarmy) to have him with grass hanging out of his mouth, (will try to get a pic up).
    but be sure on what you would like and dont have one done on impulse, i know a guy with dumbo the elephant on his chest and he really regrets it.
  19. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

wow Alyndra. Very nice work on your arm. You'll have to post the rest when your done.
    hugs poodlemum
  20. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Just curious... I noticed that you are from Niagara Falls, Ontario and was wondering if you'd mind if I asked where you get your work done... Curious because my favorite tattoo artist is in that area... Just wondering if we may go to the same place... I am from Buffalo and go there for my tattoos.

hugs
    Shananegans