A question for those dx with Peripheral Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Nov 13, 2002.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Hi, hope some of you who have been dx with PN can answer this: Is the tingling/burning relentless and persistent day in/day out or does it abate then 'flare' again? Is it worse at night or during the day, and does it prevent you sleeping ever? Do you wake with it in the morning, or does it take a while for it to kick in again?
    I'm curious because my FM pain has progressed from tingling to burning sensations, and this is characteristic of PN. Looks like an EMG for me. Yuk :(

Thanks for helping,
    Marcus
  2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Hi, hope some of you who have been dx with PN can answer this: Is the tingling/burning relentless and persistent day in/day out or does it abate then 'flare' again? Is it worse at night or during the day, and does it prevent you sleeping ever? Do you wake with it in the morning, or does it take a while for it to kick in again?
    I'm curious because my FM pain has progressed from tingling to burning sensations, and this is characteristic of PN. Looks like an EMG for me. Yuk :(

Thanks for helping,
    Marcus
  3. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I was curious as to what kind of condition NP was so read a little on it and was wondering how you were diagnosed with it and what symptoms you have. I am just curious about it because of some of my problems I am currently having.
    Thanks but sorry I couldn't answer your question.
    Brenda
  4. tala

tala New Member

I often have pinprick feelings and the burning that goes along with fibro/cfs. NP has been so closly associated with diabetes. Everything I've read other than from the immune support web site ties diabetes with NP.
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

only at night...never during the day when I'm up walking. It is awful and I have restless leg syndrome as well.Klonopin helped. Neurontin helped, but I felt too goofy with it, and Ultram and Mobic help. When I take Prednisone and my blood sugar is elevated, it is worse. Yet another thing to interfere with my sleep!
    Love,
    Kady
  6. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

I haven't actually been dx'd with PN, but the pain I'm experiencing (a burning sensation appearing in the classic stocking/glove pattern on arms and legs) is very suggestive of it. Also suggestive is that my skin is hypersensitive and that wearing footware makes the sensation worse.
    Unfortunately, I also tend to have burning in my scalp and sometimes in my back all at the same time, which isn't really classic PN. Also not classic PN is the fact that it bothers me less at night, and doesn't prevent me sleeping. I'm just wondering if this burning sensation is more typical of FM pain than PN -- it's just that I haven't had the pain before!
    Hope that helps,
    Marcus
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

She also had FMS. She found that by walking on land or in the pool really helped her. Every morning, she sat on the side of her bed and kicked her legs up and down to get the circulation going.

She had a lot of swelling in her ankles in the evenings if she didn't spend some time with her feet elevated.

Love, Mikie