A question for those that excercise............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Billie, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Billie

Billie New Member

I recently tried again, for about the 3rd or 4th time to start walking on my treadmill for 5 min. in the mornings, 5 days a week. I had been doing pretty well.

Well, now I am sick with a cold hoping it won't turn into bronchitis or a sinus infection (both of which I am prone to).

I am feeling like crap, but wondered if you guys continue your excercise when you are sick.

I am also wondering if the cumulative effect of walking for about 3 weeks, made my system more prone to getting ill. With healthy people I know excercise is supposed to help the immune system. But was wondering if it worked the same way with people with CFIDS.

Any responses or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks..........Billie
  2. healing

healing New Member

I have FMS, not CFIDS, but have found that exercise helps me stay well. That said, you can still catch viruses when you exercise. It takes a long time to build up your immune system, so while I do exercise and believe that helps me overall, I work hard at doing what is necessary to get my immune system back at a good level. For me, that means taking homeopathics and herbal remedies under my doctor's supervision, doing whatever I can to get sufficient sleep, and keeping my stress level as low as possible.

Hope you feel better soon!
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do not exercise. A doc once told me that it isn't safe to exercise when one is sick. I continue to do my PT, stretching and flexing.

Love, Mikie
  4. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

started walking for 5 min now two months later I am up to 20 minutes and I feel it has helped me feel better. but that is just me
  5. basket21

basket21 New Member

My doctor makes sure I get a flu shot every winter and so far so goods. It does really work.
    I found if I don't keep up my exercises that I lose all that I have attained and slip back to the beginning.
    If you don't feel up to all your exercises, divide your workout into 3 or 4 parts and do a little at a time but you are still helping yourself.
    Homopathic remedies could help just make sure they don't clash with any meds you take.
    Hope you get rid of this cold soon.........basket21
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

I let my body tell me. I seldom get sick unless you count the fatigue and aches and pains but if I really am too tired I rest and try again later. Sometimes its just a matter of moving until I get going but if I sick I usually let 100% of my energy go to the healing.
  7. bluebirder

bluebirder New Member

I let my body tell me how much to do. I also take a day of rest between active days. If I know I have to be on my feet (family events) I spend the day before or plan a day afterwards for relaxing events.

But then I also deal with Plantar Fasciitis (arch pain) pain in my feet. (worse in left). If I squat down I risk pulling the arch muscles and generating intense pain (also have to pull up on something) so I try to push anything that needs picking up over next to something I can sit on and then reach down. I never get down unless something is near to help me back up and I delay stepping until I am sure my feet are steady!

I do leg lifts every other day on the Flex Plus (band resistance). If I am not too sore already I use the therabands left over from my PT after the accident last spring. Try to do Something everyother day.
  8. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I started walking on a treadmill about 5 years ago, right after I was diagnosed with FMS. Walking won't cause you to get sick, especially if you're doing it inside on a treadmill. However, when I have a cold I can't breathe properly and it makes it harder to walk. So I usually wait until after the cold is gone. Keep up the exercise - it will only help you in the long-run!!!!

Annette2
  9. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

LISTEN to your bod! Walking is the best medicine if you are up to it. You know your body better than ANYONE, so don't push it, do what you can.
    Peace and Hugs, Dena
  10. Billie

Billie New Member

I am going to the doctor in about an hour. I am sure it has developed into a sinus infection. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon, and I'll be back to feeling "normal" again. I think I will let myself get over this completely and then head back to the treadmill. I thought I would get discouraged because this is the 4th time I have tried to exercise and something always comes up or I have bad reactions to it. But, I am not. I guess I don't have the energy to be discouraged about it. I can only do what I can do. I will get back to it when I am better. Thanks for your replies........Billie
  11. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

I began exercising about 6 months ago. I do weightlifting at our local center. At first, I didn't really notice any difference, but, recently have had to stop due to knee problems (being operated on tomorrow). My body is protesting. I didn't notice any real difference in getting/not getting sick. I felt so much better when I exercised, and can't wait to get back into it. I have Fibro.... pretty bad. Good luck, and don't give up!!
    Lisa