A question mainly for the ladies. (I don't want to embarrass anyone)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bees, Mar 26, 2003.

1. bees

bees New Member

Has CFS got anything to do with thrush? I've heard people mention candida (sp?) on here before, is that the same as thrush?

The reason I'm asking is I keep getting it (thrush) and wondered if it was anything to do with the CFS because I never got it before. Also I find it a little embarrasing to ask my mum to get me stuff to treat it when i'm not sure how I got it. Please can someone fill me in?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/26/2003]
  2. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

and yes its all connected. most if not everyone with CFS will have or have had candida and candida will cause thrush. I used to get it really bad but have got much help from probiotics and garlic.

It can be passed back to you by you by your partner during sex, but i got it from antibiotics which destroy the good as well as the bad bacteria in your colon/bowel. If that doesn't make sense i'm sure someone here can explain more clearly.
    so don't be embarrassed.
    pinkquartz
  3. dawnie1960

dawnie1960 New Member

Oral thrush is the same as candida (yeast). Yeast is always present in our mouths, innards and vaginas. It becomes a problem when there is an overgrowth of the little beasties.

The overgrowth can happen when your immune system has been compromised, such as illnes, as well as some medications.

I just finished a 5 week course of Prednisone (a steriod drug)which was prescribed for my chronic hives, but it has bad side effects, one being suppressing my immune system and causing the overgrowth of yeast in my mouth. Took an antifungal for a while, but I think I'll go back to doc and get more because I don't think it is entirely cleared up yet.

Kinda the same as when you take antibiotics and get a vaginal infection...some doctors prescribe an antifungal with the antibiotics knowing you'll probably get it.

Since you say you keep getting it,I would recommend you see your doctor as it could be something else entirely and you should be tested. It could be a bacterial infection. But you should definitely find out why it keeps recurring.

Hope this helps...take care!
    Dawn

4. bees

bees New Member

I saw my doctor the first time I got it about two years ago and since then I get it about every few months. It mainly comes on after a bad patch when I've been wrapped up under my covers.
  5. notsure

notsure New Member

make it worse.

I live in the tropics and have taken to wearing no underwear under my clothes whenever possible. Since I started this it hasn't returned.

So if you need to keep warm (my problem is how to keep cool without getting too cold, it looks quite funny wearing socks with the air con's on full blast *grin*) try to make sure you still have good airflow around your body and only wear cotton underwear and only when you have to.

Anything that creates dampness (such as periods or sex, sorry to be so blunt) will make it worse so I had to get rid of my phobia of leaking and stop wearing pantie liners unless I really really needed them.

It has made a huge difference to my quality of life (if it can be called that) now that I don't suffer from it 2 weeks out of 4.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/27/2003]
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't mean to be stupid, but are you talking about the thrush that a person gets in their mouths? I always thought thrush was an infection in the mouth.

I know if you have Lupus, you get sores in your mouth all of the time. That is one of the signs. Whether or not these "sores" are from yeast or not, I don't know.
  7. notsure

notsure New Member

in the mouth or vagina most commonly, when it affects your internal organs it is usually referrred to as candida.