A Question Re Vitamin D supplements

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lgp, Mar 25, 2009.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Because I was found to have very low vitamin d, my internist has suggested a vitamin d supplement of 5000 units daily for a week, along with B complex and my regular multi vitamin. After one week, she wants me to reduce that to 2000 daily units, continuing with the B complex and the multi vitamin. Then at three weeks, I will have more blood work done to see where I am. My doctor treats (and is sensitive to) many fibro patients, and in my particular case she thinks the low D may be the key. Believe it or not, after only two days, alot of my aches and pains have reduced, but my digestive system seems upset. I have read a few articles that recommend taking a probiotic with the D. Would acidophoulus have the same effect?

Does anyone have any experience with taking a probiotic along with vitamin d? Has anyone ever experienced digestive problems from vitamin d? Some thoughts, experiences, and opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

[This Message was Edited on 03/25/2009]
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, vitamin D did make me nauseated, especially the one my doc gave me an Rx for, man was I sick. So I stopped regular vitamin D and started taking vitamin D3, thanks to Jamin, and so far I don't seem to have any digestive problems. I am only taking a 1000 units of vit. D3 then whatever is in the Caltrate I take and my multiple vitamin.. I have had trouble with supplements and nausea, fish oil is one that I try to take every other day but still get some nausea..

About the probiotics I am not sure, I have acidophoulus but have never taken it but need to start since I am on another antibiotic for sinus / ear problems. I just am not sure when to take it.

I hope you get some good answers cause I need to know , maybe if I would take a probiotic I would be able to tolerate supplements and meds better.

God Bless,
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

My vitamin d level was a 24. She did the bloodwork while I had a sinus infection--pre-Levaquin and Flonase for ten days.

It's bothering me since I am only 48 and a so-called friend inferred to me this morning that I was basically doomed. Nice, right?

4. WillieCash

WillieCash New Member

But it looks like Vitamin D3 deficiency and Fibromyalgia may have similar symptoms but are different health concerns.

Best of luck to those with either or both!
  5. Robbie44

Robbie44 New Member

I've been taking Vitamin D3 for two years after a low vitamin D test. I was already on Probiotics and just added it with all the other supplements and I've had no problems. Good luck.

6. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

jamin, why did you stop going out in the sunshine ? Any particular health reasons ?
  7. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

That's good to hear, nice you're able to enjoy the sunshine again.