A Question Regarding The Onset of A Flare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lgp, Nov 17, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

When you engage in some type of behavior, or get caught in some type of situation that you just know may bring on a flare, how long after does the flare kick in? Hours, days, a week? I'm just curious because to me there just doesn't seem to be a concise pattern. I seem to be in a bad flare for several days, but the situation that I felt would definitely cause a flare happened nine days ago. Could it take 5 or 6 days for the flare to kick in? I am confused about this.

2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think our DD cycles no matter what we do. However, like you are saying when we are in a situation which we know we will have a flare, where you are in the cycle depends on how much these situations will effect you.

This is just my theory. No scientific proof. However I have often had the same question that you do.

Take care.
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

The causes of my flares continue to be a mystery for the most part. I try and keep notes on my calendar so I can figure out some kind of pattern.

I have found a few things that consistently make me crash and flare..... (I sound like a car wreck!)

Hormones...PMS time is bad, for about 5-7 days before my period I always feel much worse. Also mid-cycle at ovulation can be bad. I really only have 1 week a month where I feel that hormones aren't causing havoc in my body. I've taken low dose BC pills before and they helped. Ran out of my rx 4 mos ago and I do notice I feel worse without them. I may have to get some hormonal support again.

Grocery Shopping!.........If I have to do a major grocery shop, it just wipes me out. If you think about it, grocery shopping consumes a lot of energy: pushing the cart, loading and unloading the cart, putting groceries in car, unloading car, putting groceries away. I did that yesterday and I've been wiped out ever since, happens to me a lot. I try to break it up and sometimes I don't get everything put away until the next day.

Laundry....lots of arm activity involved. I have bad shoulders too, so it increases pain there. Makes me very tired so I only do 1 or 2 loads at a time.

I wish I could figure out some more things so I could know when I'm going to hit the brick wall. A lot of the time it just comes out of nowhere, some of the worst flares have been like that.

I wonder too about the delayed reaction theory you mentioned. I'm looking to find a link to something like that w my flares. Maybe our bodies get exposed to some toxin or allergen and it takes a few days to feel bad from it. Maybe there have been studies on this, I should do some research....

4. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I think we get such a wide variety of flares. Im my case, there's the "two day later" flare caused by activity like shopping, too much housework, etc. There's the pretty instant flare that comes from climate change, too much humidity, storms, etc.

Then there's the biggies, a long trip will take me longer to get over. Illnesses really knock me out. I had an accident in the spring which has put me in a constant severe flare since then.

Then there's the flare that comes out of nowhere. Just does.

It's the inconsistency of it all that makes it really hard to manage.

I'm just as confused as you!

All the best,