A quick one: are baking soda & bicarbonate of soda the same thing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Sep 24, 2008.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

I can only find bicarbonate of soda/ sodium bicarbonate in the store.... Someone here mentioned baking soda was good as a detoxifier.... I don't want to take the wrong thing...My bf is going the store in about ten mins so if anyone could answer by then I'd REALLY appreciate it.. Thanks in advance, Shell :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2008]
  2. cordy250

cordy250 Member

Yup, they are the same. Baking soda is available in the isle of your supermarket that has ingredients for baking, cake making, etc.

The active ingredient in Baking Soda is sodium bicarbonate. It is an antacid.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

I see you are a fellow brit. Do NOT use baking powder, only bicarbonate of soda.

It may raise your blood pressure, so be careful - I can't take it.
  4. cordy250

cordy250 Member

Baking Powder and Baking Soda are completely different things. Just ask any cook LOL.

The OP did not mention Baking Powder.
  5. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Bicarbonate of soda and baking soda are the same and are an antacid BUT baking powder is different and should be avoided? Thanks... Shell
  6. cordy250

cordy250 Member

of anyone using Baking Powder for medicinal purposes but a lot of people used baking soda as an antacid before we got better flavored products. It's very old fashioned, like pre Alka Seltzer.