a real TURKEY question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fibrobutterfly, Apr 21, 2009.

1. LOL! REALLY! I have a frozen turkey since Nov 2007, 15 mos. is it still okay to cook and eat? From what I read they say 12 months. So if its frozen is it safe to eat or should I pitch it? anyone really know?
    [This Message was Edited on 04/22/2009]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Can't make any sense outta your numbers. You mean since Nov 2007?

Gordon likes to buy 3 or 4 turkeys when they are on sale. He asked a fellow if
    we could keep on in his freezer. The reply was, "I still have the one from last year."

My guess is it's probably safe, but may not be too tasty.

Rock
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

It depends on who you listen to. I have cooked things that were in the freezer for a long time. Many times I would have thrown it away but DH would have a cow on wasting foodl Actually, I do not like that either. Howver, I have never gotten sick on food that has been frozen for a VERY long time.

Yes, it might not have athe flavor of a fresh bird buat I think it would be OK. It is up to you. After you thaw it you might want to see what it looks and smells like and go from there.

Good luck and let us know what you do and how it tastes. Many times it tastes OK and other times not as good.

Blessings,

Granni
  4. oops corrected it I meant 2007. I am thinking throw out, hubby has a fit when I do that to food, but I don't want to get sick, better safe than sorry I guess. thanks to you two.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Part of my wedding cake was frozen to be thawed a year later on our first anniversary. The cake tasted awful and I think it may be related to the fact that we got a divorce 18 years later.

So, I think the answer depends on if you are happily married or not but have no idea which answer would go with which state of marital bliss. If you are not married, I have no clue.

Reading tea leaves, preferably less than a year old might also answer your question.

Have you tried Wikipedia?

ga

ETA Is the turkey married? I really think this marriage thing may be connected to the answer.[This Message was Edited on 04/24/2009]
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I say throw that bird out. Even on the remote chance that it's not bad, it won't taste very fresh or flavorful. Even thought it seems wasteful, you would never want to get sick from bad meat. Ever.

Whenever I get turkeys that I may not use right away--like holiday gifts or a free promotional from the supermarket,I give it away either to my sister or to my church food pantry. I know myself, and if it goes in my freezer,there's a good chance it will never be cooked by me!!

Peace--Laura
  7. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

You have a pet you could try the turkey on? Or a neighbors pet?

It would be safe for sure if you Pressure cooked it for a few hours.......(then tried it on your pet.)

perhaps dig a deep hole near your favorite tree, and use it for fertilizer. Hmmm, maybe most plants really are carniverous. Good luck, your mr Bill
  8. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

You have a pet you could try the turkey on? Or a neighbors pet?

It would be safe for sure if you Pressure cooked it for a few hours.......(then tried it on your pet.)

perhaps dig a deep hole near your favorite tree, and use it for fertilizer. Hmmm, maybe most plants really are carniverous. Good luck, your mr Bill

If there are no freezer burns.....well, the possibilities are almost endless.LOL

local zoo? feed the feral cats? I know that around here, you could just put the turkey in the front yard and it would gone by morning.