A RUDE AWAKENING...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Godismystrength, Nov 8, 2012.

1. I was doing so well yesterday after my surgery for skin cancer on my leg... until, that is, the local anesthetic completely wore off. Then, a whole succession of things happened to create a nightmare scenario.

First, I already hadn't gotten much sleep the night before the surgery... so when I was rudely awakened by intense pain involving the incision site after only 4 hours of sleep, I knew I was in trouble.

I was given Percocet for pain if I needed it, and had taken only half a pill because I know how sensitive my body is to drugs. But obviously, the half pill wasn't enough. And the fact that the ice pack I was told to keep on my bandaged wound for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off all day long had lost its chill while I slept didn't help any either.

So I took another half of a percocet but after 30 minutes the pain was intensifying, so I took the other half. But while it finally started to help with the pain, the dizziness and woosiness in my head grew worse, as did my weakness. I have only been able to doze for 1 to 2 hours at a time even with the percocet, which is leaving me feeling even tireder and dizzier and just worse over all!

To make matters worse, when the pain relief wasn't lasting long enough, my husband suggested that at my next dose I take a full pill of the percocet and see if that helped me sleep longer. But I took it on an empty stomach and didn't realize that was a no-no. About an hour later, around 10 a.m., I tried to sit up in bed and eat a little something, but as soon as I did, I immediately felt like I was going to throw-up and came very close to passing out. So I quickly laid back down flat, with my head in a bowl, until the feeling passed (thank God I didn't pass out OR throw-up... but came as close as you can get without actually doing it.)

Also, I take a sublingual hormone every morning with my thyroid med... and well, it doesn't dissolve very well and sometimes turns int a thick paste in my mouth. Well, I fell back asleep with it in my mouth this morning because I was so groggy... and while I was sleeping on my back, I must have aspirated some of it into my lungs because I started coughing like crazy... and it took a while to get my lungs clear. So the coughing jag just wore me out even more... and tore my throat up in the process... GEESE!

So, needless to say, I need continued prayer! Its such a fine line that we walk with our DD! And for me, who never uses anything but natural supps... haven't even used over the counter meds in well over a year (not even tylenol or aleve or motrin)... this percocet, and I guess the local anesthetic (they had to inject it twice and the second time they used quite a bit) has been quite a shock to my ridiculously delicate system. So I'm praying for a better night tonight... that I can get the sleep I desperately need so I can start the healing process (I heal very slowly as it is!)... and that the pain eases up and the nausea gets better. I think I'm going to try a half a percocet with 1 extra-strength tylenol and hope that helps without making me so dizzy. Also going to try a new ice pack that's suppose to stay cold for 8 hours... praying it works that long!

Thanks so much for your prayers and support! God bless you!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel

[This Message was Edited on 11/08/2012]
  2. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I am so sorry to hear you're going through all this extra stuff. I know what you mean, one thing can trigger several other problems with us.

I hope you're through the worst of the pain now and have gotten all the meds out of your system.

When I had dental surgery a few months ago I was given percocet to take afterwards. I only took a small piece of one but it didn't do any good so I ended up taking Vanquish, an otc pain reliever and it did me more good than the percocet. Unfortunately, it made my gums bleed more and for a longer time ( has aspirin in it).

I am praying for you to have a quick and easy recovery from this point on. Glad your surgery was successful! Hugs, GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2012]
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

sending you healing prayers and hugs
  4. MicheleK

MicheleK Moderator

Hi Shel, All I can say is, if it isn't one thing it's another! Hope you are doing better now. Hugs, Michele
  5. Can't thank you enough for your well wishes and prayers! I am doing some better... was able to sleep better last night for the first time in days. But I got up on my feet some yesterday and was talking too much I guess... and I guess I overdid somehow... so not feeling too good today.... Just wiped out. I'm not good at pacing yet and have trouble remembering that ANY brain activity is going to use up my energy the same as physical activity. So I've GOT to work on that and get better with the pacing. Pray I can do better with that cause I know it is CRUCIAL for any hope of recovery with our ME/CFS...

THANKS AGAIN, to all of you! You are all such blessings! God bless you!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel