A sad day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Mar 11, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I lost my cat Skippy this morning. He died at 6:00 am.

Skippy came into our family in 1991, when my kids were just 4, 7 & 9. He and our cat Sally grew up the youngest of our 5 kids.

Skippy, a cream/white tabby, was once a strappin 25 pounds with the heart of a teddy bear. He loved everybody, and everyone loved him. Every visitor that ever took a seat in our home got a warm welcome from Skip, and some snuggle time.

Free to come and go as he pleased, he lived the life of both indoors and out. Fierce hunter and sunbather by day, snuggle buddy by night.

Over the past year Skippy grew very frail as his poor old body began to give out on him. He was in a lot of pain, and we realized we may have to make the tough decision to have him put to sleep.

Over the weekend, his situation became severe. We realized the time had come, so I made the appointment. I feel for anyone who has ever had to face the moral inner turmoil that comes with making that decision. It's heart wrenching. But in the end we do what we know is the right thing to do.

By his final evening, he could no longer walk, so I stayed by his side last night and helped him. I dreaded having to watch him go another day and a half like this.

Thankfully, the good Lord stepped in, and took Skippy gently while he rested.

I hope that Skippy has met back up with his dog pal Kojak in Heaven, who we lost a few years go. Skippy loved him, and cried for weeks after he died. They will be happy to see each other again. When I think of that, it helps ease the pain.

We will miss Skippy. He was a truly great cat. I feel lucky to have found him and had the joy of his love and companionship for so many happy years. It will be very empty without him here, he is so much a part of our everyday lives. But I am thankful for the time that we did share together. He had a long and happy life with a family that adored him.

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I do know the pain of the loss of a beloved pet.....and your Skippy sounds like a very well loved pet.

3. tonakay

tonakay New Member

So sorry for you losing your furbaby... I prayed and prayed that mine would go in their sleep but both had to be put down. I lost my Maggie dog last Sept and still cry for her, I wear a bracelet that says 'I am with you' and her collar still lays on my bed where she slept. Still not used to my empty bed, she slept with me for 14 years...

My heart goes out to you friend, just let the grieving happen, the crying really does help!

4. ckball

ckball New Member

Oh I know how you feel, I went threw that with my 15 yo cat. They are like family to us and it is so hard to let go.

He sounds like he had a wonderful life and now he is a Rainbow Bridge with his buddy.

My heart and prayers go out to you and your famliy-Carla
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Sorry for your loss of Skippy!!,,,,Sounds like you gave him a wonderful life!,,,and yes he is already playing with Kojak!,,,,,,,,,,,,Bless You!,,,,,,,Sis,,&,,,Lucky!
  6. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

4everkid i am sorry for the loss of Skippy. Our pets are so dear to us. He is in animal heaven now and with Snog's kitty too.

Take care and gentle hugs.

7. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I know Skippy loved you and your family as much as you loved him. It sounds like he was a very happy and loving kitty. I'm so very sad for your loss.

8. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I'm sure the loss of your Skippy seems unbearable now. It is so hard to lose a pet.

He was a lucky cat to have had a family that adored him and you were lucky to have such an adorable cat.
  9. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I am so very sorry - losing a pet is an awful thing.
  10. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Thank you to everyone for your warm thoughts.

I knew this was coming, and have cried a lot for Skippy in the past few days, knowing I was about to lose him. In a way, I am relieved for him, to be finally out of his misery. He was eating 5-7 times a day, yet was down to less than 5 lbs. His teeth were bad, but he was too old to be sedated to remove them. He had arthritis, labored breathing, his bones were brittle, and his organs were shutting down. I know he is in a better place now.

Tonakay - I understand the empty bed syndrome. I still miss Sally who slept with her little head in my hand every night. Little Scotty took over her spot, but he will never replace her. Sally, also 16, vanished last spring - assumed dead.

Snog, I feel I have a special connection to you, through the loss of our beloved family members at the same time. We have both been through the same heart wrenching experience. I am sad for Skippy, and I feel sad for you too, knowing what you are going through. I hope Sadie & Skippy meet up in Heaven and become friends. They sound a lot alike, very lovable.

It helps to have so many thoughtful and wonderful friends who know the pain of losing a pet. Your kind words help ease the pain. Thank you all.

11. jinlee

jinlee Member

Over the 52 years I have been on earth, it never gets any easier losing a pet. I feel your pain and know that Skippy the cat loved you and misses your family too.

There is a wonderful poem that really expresses my thoughts and I think it is called something like "The rainbow bridge" but I am not sure of the name. I will look it up and post later.

I am going with my 80 year old neighbor and friend to take her "Kitty" to the vet to end its suffering as the time has come. We are leaving in a half hour. She is so distraught over this. Her "Kitty" has been her life for 15 years as she is a widow and the cat sleeps with her, etc. Such a hard thing to do even when one knows it is the right decision.

Take care and those furbabies really do become a family member, sometimes more loveable than a family member.

12. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Skippy sounds like he was such a wonderful soul! No words can express the grief you are feeling right now but I'm sending you lots of healing thoughts. Our fur babies become such a huge part of our lives and they are deeply missed when they are gone.

Big hugs, Monica
  13. kjade

kjade New Member

I'm terriby sorry that you have lost your beloved pet....it is so hard, I know.

What you wrote about your cat was beautiful - it brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely tribute you have written here for him.

I'm glad you did not have to follow through with that appointment at the vet. We had to put our 6 yr old German Shepherd down b/c he had cancer. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life. And it was one of the only times I have ever seen dh cry. Just thinking about it (4 ys later) still makes me sad.

I'm sure it is comforting to think of your cat now reuinted with your dog that you lost. Now they can play together forever.......
  14. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I am SO sorry that you lost a member of your family. Rejoice in the fact that you gave your cat a wonderful life while he was here on earth. That should give you some comfort.
    What a wonderful time your Skippy and Kojak must be having together!!! I believe that you will see them again.
    I know you will miss him - of course. You need to grieve, you need to cry and to be sad.

My thoughts are with you.
  15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

It is always a sad thing to loss a family memeber, even if they are the furry kind. I know, my dh and I had to do that many years ago when his dear Smokey had to be put down. He was his dog before I came into his life and Smokey even got to know the first of our two childen when they were toddlers.

They could do anything to him and he didnt care so sweet a mutt he was. Part beagle I think and German shepard. Can you imaginr ehsy he looked like. He just got so old and couldn't even see any more very well. He was pretty OLD.

I'm glad and I am sure you are to that he is no longer suffering any more.

16. laceymae

laceymae New Member

Such sad news...I had a cat for 15 years and when we moved to farm she just disappeared one day. I hope she went peacefully without me.

Hope you have lots of wonderful memories of Skippy

17. springwater

springwater Active Member

That was a wonderful description of Skippy. He had a happy love filled life with you. Its such a joy to know animals can be taken care of and loved like this...it offsets the sometimes distressing news of animal abuse one hears...

I can imagine how sad you must feel...and i hope you wil get over the feelings of loss soon...

Thank you for posting about Skippy; the place where he is, he's strong and happy and as loving as ever.

God Bless
  18. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Everyone here is so wonderful, coming together to help each other through rough times such as this. Every single one of you is a blessing.

My little cat Scotty, 11 months, is missing his pal Skip. Skippy didn't care much for him, but Scotty wanted so bad to be friends with Skippy. He wanted to play, but Skippy couldn't. He tried every day to give him a bath, but Skippy would not allow it. So I just tried to keep Scotty out of his hair.

Scotty has been very droopy the last few days. He was there when Skippy died, witnessed all the family's tears... I know he knows what happened, and is sad too. It is always sad to see one pet mourn another, and you can't explain it to them.

Skippy wandered the back yard for weeks searching and bawling when Kojak our Rott/Lab died. He would stand by Kojak's food bowl and cry. They liked to lay in the sun together, and when it stormed, they snuggled on the carpet indoors, both afraid of the thunder. They were quite a pair. Skippy didn't care for the other cats in the family, or the other dogs. But he loved Kojak.

I want to thank all of you again for all the support, all the care, and all the beautiful thoughts and writings on the wonderful afterlife my friend Skippy is enjoying now. And on other threads...The Rainbow Bridge, the 10 commandments of Pet Owners...all these things were very helpful and comforting.

All the kindest and most caring people on Earth are right here on this board, and I am fortunate to count you all as friends.
  19. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Skippy must be so missed.

I'm glad you had such a faithful, fun friend for so long.

My prayers that you will find peace and comfort in the wonderful memories of your friend.

20. tonakay

tonakay New Member

yeah RIGHT... yet they know when we are hurting and no when one of their own is missing from the house!

Just checking in today to see how you're holding up.. such a sad time, they are truly family and sometimes more FAMILY than blood family!