A shampoo story, or "I should know better!!!"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Jan 20, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

A new hairdresser I went to convinced me to try a new shampoo, supposed to keep the color nice longer and all that jazz. It had a scent and lots of unpronouncable chemicals, but I figured I'd try it.

Big mistake!!

After about 5 days, I figured out that the reason I felt like I had a cold after my shower every day was probably the new shampoo. I stopped using it, and the scratchy throat, stuffy head and general 'cold' feeling stopped.

Silly me. I should know better! I got caught up in the whole glamour thing, under the influence of my sister and her hair dresser. I've switched to a shampoo and conditioner that are made from organically grown ingredients, and I can pronounce everything in the ingredients list. Much better!!! They have a faint odor of lemons, but that is from lemon verbena and lemongrass. Ahhhh, relief!

The moral is that I need to remember to listen to that little voice in my head and heart that knows what I need and what I DON'T need. Silly me.

Peace,
    Beth.

2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Good reminder to me, Beth! I'm glad you figured it out so quickly and that it didn't make you sicker.

Hugs,
    Sue
  3. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

i'm glad you figured it out so quickly

that's better than my 'lesson' in shampooing - one time, i actually washed my hair with my showergel! lol i use bars more often now, but try to do organic gels as often as i can lol
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

it's good to know others make these mistakes too. I really rely on all the folks here to keep me humble and on track by sharing our experiences.

Stormyskye, the shampoo is by Nature's Gate Organics, Soy Fragrance Free. The conditioner is by Kiss My Face Obsessively Organic, their Whenever conditioner. It's aromatherapeutic, green tea and lime. So far they've worked well for me. Neither one has any parabens.

Peace,
    Beth.
  5. crumpton

crumpton New Member

I never even thought of my shampoo causing problems. I color my hair too. DOEs coloring cause problems and what kind of problems does it cause others?

What problems does shampoo cause?
    What color do you use if anyone uses it. I can't see me going gray if I don't have to.

I have my morning sinus drainage or what I call my "morning snot". I always wake up with a headache and neck pain too. Maybe this could be from shampoo too?

Where do you get your shampoo?
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

I don't know if coloring your hair can be a problem for those of us who are sensitive to chemicals. I do know that since I had my hair colored and highlighted professionally, I've been losing more hair than normal. I've never had my hair done professionally before.

The product that the hairdresser used is specially formulated and doesn't have any ammonia or harsh chemicals. It was made by a man who was chemically sensitive and was a hairdresser, but who couldn't work because of his reaction to the chemicals he had to use every day.

I didn't have any ill effects from the hair treatments, I don't think, other than losing hair, and I hope that stops soon. Still, I'm not convinced it's worth the financial cost, which was more than I am accustomed to spending on my hair!

From what I've read, hair color is safer today than it was many years ago, at least for the more general, less sensitive public.

Most shampoos contain chemicals that are not good for anyone, and especially for us. There are websites where you can do a search on products you use to find out how good or bad they are for you. One book title for this sort of thing is "Drop Dead Gorgous".

In general, I prefer to buy hair and body care products without excessive chemicals. I prefer organically produced ingredients, and if I can pronounce all of them, even better. Fewer ingredients is better too.

It's not just for sensitivities. It's also because we are all exposed to far more chemicals today than our parents and grandparents were. Many of those chemicals are damaging to the human body. We live in a chemical world. I feel strongly that it's important to decrease the amount of chemicals we are exposed to in daily life.

One way to do that is to minimize the chemicals I put in and on my body every day.

Another resource is books by Annie B. Bond and a book called "Green House, Green Planet". I can't find mine at the moment, and can't remember the author.

Whoa. I didn't mean to go on so long. This is a pet peeve of mine, but I need to get off the soap box now!

I get my shampoo and other personal care products at stores like VitaminShoppe and Henry's Farmer's Market and Trader Joe's. Any healthy foods store will have good products to check out.

Peace,
    Beth.
  7. crumpton

crumpton New Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. I have been coloring my hair with Loreal products for several years and don't know if they have caused any extra pain or not. Can't afford having it done since I am waiting to hear about my disability. Would love to have it highlighted again.

Will check into the shampoos because they sound like it should be something to use. I was checking into organic food for my dog before I saw this post, why not use oragnic for me too. Thanks again.