A Short history of Medicine

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jan 26, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

"Doctor, I have an ear ache."

2000 B.C. - "Here, eat this root."
    1000 B.C. - "That root is heathen, say this prayer."
    1850 A.D. - "That prayer is superstition, drink this potion."

1940 A.D. - "That potion is snake oil, swallow this pill."
    1985 A.D. - "That pill is ineffective, take this antibiotic."
    2000 A.D. - "That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root!"

Nobody's posted this for a while, so I thought it was my turn. I remember when this used to circulate in the office as a "hard copy".

Does it seem strange to you to call a piece of paper "hard"?
    Does to me.

I read a thriller recently where the weapon was a roll of newsprint that was rather heavy: a ton or two. Well, who around here can remember these little details?

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

yes I remember that now, so true.

I was in Edinburgh today Rock, what a beautiful city, it's only half hour by train but didn't manage a visit at all last year. Princes Street with the castle, Walter Scott monument and all the old buildings - it's hard to beat city wise.

Thats some weapon, a ton or two of rolled newspaper!!

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Hmmmmm,,,Interesting! thanks for the info!
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Ain't it the truth?

There is nothing new under the sun...

A good chuckle and a sobering thought.

5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Did you ever wonder how they figured out that the root was good medicine? By accident? Trial and Error? In a dream?

I remember reading a book about pre historic man and the medicine people had "memories" handed down from ancestors who were medicine people and they had all the knowledge in thier brains already. It was just a novel, but I wonder if our brains were different and that really could have happened?

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

have wondered about primitive people and how they knew what plants were edible or had medicinal properties. Trial and error seems the most logical explanation.

Jean Auel, who wrote Clan of the Cave Bear and all those books about stone age people, had a taster in the tribe. The taster cautiously nibbled strange plants to learn about them

Not totally sure about this, but I think I saw some documentary where people were eating a plant, the cassava? Anyway it was poisonous until it was treated. Had to be cooked or soaked or something.

This may be the same plant as the Yucca and the tapioca; well, related if not the same.