A Sign of our Times

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaminhealth, Mar 16, 2014.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

This is not meant to be political, but about economics....I listen to a lot of talk radio and after my favorite stuff went off today, I happened on to a money program...this kinda stuff does not really interest me as I've never been a big money minded person....I've always seemed to have ENUF to get thru my life and MOSTLY on my own..... my needs are small and simple but I like comfort.

Today this money man said that 100M American households have net worth of $1M not counting homes owned....

Got to thinking about this and "he" said MANY today are in the stock market, which has been the highest it's been in my lifetime (I think this is true).....

Why is this so, with So Many out of work and many many struggling.....

So, it came to me, the corporations are making more than ever as they have moved most of their mfg out of America, leaving so many out of work here....so they are making mega profits and hence stock market gone skyhigh....and those investing in the market, making lots of bread....

This is NOT to my way of living and sharing and spreading the wealth so to speak...the top get richer and richer and the bottom poorer and poorer.....

Maybe I can get one of my buddies here to comment, Mikie, etc.....why am I putting this here, just wanted to talk to someone about the economy.....and put my thoughts out there on it all. I keep hearing from so many that things are NOT good for so many and the top are doing so great.....

I'll be happy to delete this if you guys don't want it here, but again it's not political but about life in America. jam
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, this is also the greatest gap between those at the top and those struggling to get by. It isn't sustainable. The richer the top 1 percent get, the more money they can spend on keeping things as they are. It will take grass roots activation to get us back on track. We are getting more manufacturing jobs in the South but nothing compared to what we need. The new jobs often require technical skills and job openings go unfilled due to lack of an education and/or skilled workforce.

If we were to fix all the broken down bridges and other infrastructure areas, it would put a lot of people to work. We can't ignore the safety hazards forever but many of our states, not to mention our federal govt. are strapped for money and in debt now. It may take more debt and taxes to dig us out of this situation but people don't like taxes. I just wish the govt. would close the loopholes and subsidies to corps. Unfortunately, that often does away with jobs too. It's a very complicated balancing act and you get as many opinions as there are economists and economic advisors.

I hope and pray for all those who work two or three jobs and still struggle to make ends meet. It's heartbreaking for them and their children.

Love, Mikie