A supplement that helps PAIN?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Is there some vitamin supplement that REALLY helps pain? I swear my body is going bonkers, my pain level is high.
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

A balanced Magnesium/Calcium/Zinc combo will help muscles relax and alleviate pain.

Maybe not the first day that you're on it, but it does work and we're all deficient in this wonder mineral.

Must be taken together in combo form to get the best benefits.

3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i take cal 1000mg 500mg of mag with 400iu of d i get them from puritains pride 3 pills all at once it does take the edge off with in an hour for me i just ordered d ribose also im not sure how it will work yet
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Fish oil has been shown in some studies to afford pain reduction similar to NSAIDs like ibuprofen.

IME, though, ya gotta be careful to get a high quality fish oil like Nordic Naturals, Carlson's, Omega Brite. There may be other brands. What you're looking for is fish oil that's been molecularly distilled & 3rd party lab-certified for purity. Some of the cheap Walmart/groc store fish oils contain solvents like hexane, and impurities like heavy metals, that can actually make you sicker.

If there is a stress or depression component compounding your pain (often the case), and if you are NOT ALREADY on antidepressant/SSRI meds, you might look into some the supps that increase serotonin -- 5 HTP, SamE. In some people they help greatly with pain. Do NOT use these if you are already on Rx meds as above.

Last & perhaps most importantly, there is no one supp that guarantees freedom from pain for everyone, just as there is no one RX med that works for all patients. Fibro is a complex thing -- our symptoms are similar, but there can be different causes of the pain for diff folks.

The most helpful book I've read, bar none, is Pain Free 1-2-3 by Jacob Teitelbaum. The good doc goes over dozens of treatment modalities for various types of pain, both RX and non-RX. You might be able to find a copy at your local public library.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2008]
  5. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

And I would add 1200mg Malic Acid.

I cannot live without Magnesium and Malic Acid. Too much pain.

But my main is more muscle related. These supplements do not help my other pains which are bone and joint related.