A tad ticked at DR.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reckabek, Jun 27, 2006.

1. reckabek

reckabek New Member

I mean i understand, but man...im new to this Dr. a few visits... i informed him i think i have fibro, he agrees sending me to rheumo...im in pain...he puts me on neurontin, tells me to work out lightly...w/ stretches etc... which is killing me worse, but i do need to excersise, so....i call him today , laying down helps, but im tense, tight and achy...i leave message, i was seen last week, fibro related, got rheuom dr. apt in augest...back and bodys killing me.motrin, tylenol, aleve isnt doing the job etc.......im trying to do what he asks by excersising... neurontin hasnt kicked in...was wondering what could help or any meds, till i see rheumo??? nurse calls, says Take hot showers, and get a massage... what the BLEEP!!!!! i am taking hot bathes, i am getting my hubby to message me... what the heck...am i seriously supposed to be in this pain..

.i know alot of u guys go through this...but what is there point....its not them that have to worry about becoming addicted! and how can u get addicted to meds, when u truely need em for pain.... why are they so freaking afraid of given meds... i feel like an addict cause i have to ask....and they dont recomend... is there an easier way around this to get em? beating around the bush isnt working...if i ask straight up i feel like an addict.... not asking at all im in PAIN... now i got blowed off...and i dont know what to do now... is it right to just live in pain?? answers anyone??? beck
  2. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I am finally on strong enough pain meds to take the edge off of my pain, but the road I have taken to get to where I am has sure been a long, painful one. I have had many doctors who do not believe in treating fibro with narcotics. None of them are my current doctors. However, if you haven't tried Ultram, it does help a lot of people, and some doctors have no problem handing it out - so may be worth asking for.

In your situation, I would say that your only option would be to make another appt. Neurontin is not a "pain medication" to be used for acute pain. It can help with pain, yes, but it's not like you can just take one when you start hurting & you will feel better.

Now for the cold, hard truth. You are the only person that is there to fight for your rights as a chronic pain patient. You need to call back, and tell them that you need to see your doctor again, if he cannot give you something over the phone, that will help you with your pain until you are able to see the rheummy. No amt of showers or massages will make your pain livable.

It is really hard with a new doctor, because there are people that go from dr to dr just trying to get their drugs. I don't understand it, and it makes it almost impossible for people like us. Tell your dr that you cannot function because of the pain & that your quality of life is suffering tremendously because you can hardly move. Rheummy can't see me until August & I can't live in the shower until then....well, not exactly that, but you catch my drift.

Good luck,

Leanne
  3. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I can't answer why doctors are afraid to Rx us pain med's that work, but I know from my schooling in nursing, they seem to pound it in our heads to look for the signs.

But at the same time, they tell us that if a patient says they are in pain...who are we to say they are not. I do not understand it.

I have tried ultram before but it didn't work for me.
    Finally, after 6/7 years, I have gone to my doctor and asked for pain meds. He is a new doctor treating me, but I've been a patient for 2 years at that office.

You definitely need to call your doctors office again and ask for help.

I am wishing you well and pray you get some relief.

4. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

If your rheumy will not treat your pain, try to find a pain clinic close to your area (I used to drive 3 hrs one way for 3 yrs, but eventually found an internist 30 min. away who will give me the same meds, & I only have to see him 2x a year!). It took me 10 years to find someone to give me meds! Just try (I know it's hard) not to get discouraged. You are your own advocate, & it's hardest when you feel like c---! An internist might work w/ you if you can't find a pain doctor. I take Ultram, Morphine, & Vicodin. I used to also take muscle relaxants, but they got to where they weren't effective anymore. I wish you well, hang in there. We are here for you. I know that won't take the pain away, but you can rant all u want:) & it won't cost a thing (lol).
    Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! PS- You are NOT an addict just because you have to ask. I once had a doctor tell me "You know, you'll have to live w/ this forever". I know that, BUT, that doesn't mean we have to live it in pain. That's what pain meds are for, for people that NEED them! We have a right to a quality life as much as anyone else, or as close as possible. HUGS
  5. TFD

TFD New Member

After 16 years of going to my pcp, 10 of which I was in pain and he treated my pain with Lortab. Finally, my diagnosis was RA, FM and CFS. He said he realized that I need more help than he could give me and sent me to a pain clinic. The first thing the Dr. did was put me on a patch and I asked him, "won't this increase my chances for addition?" He said no. Only 3% of people who have chronic pain become addicted. They become depended on the medication to control their pain. If you take the pain meds for the purpose of controlling your pain and not a high, most likely than not, you will not become addicted.

After trial and error, we have settled on oxi ER 40 mgs 2x a day with lortab for break through pain (although I rarely need it).

If your Dr. isn't serious about contolling your pain, then you need a new Dr.

Tammie
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi,
    Usually doctor's don't like to write prescriptions for pain medicine so you may have to get a refferal to a pain clinic. It is a real pain in the you know what, but that is how it works.

Then when you go to the pain clinic they will give you enough meds to last one month, so you have to go back every month to get more.

That has been my experience, anyway,until I started going to a FFC near Atlanta. I hope someone can help you, I don't think anyone should suffer in pain.

Good Luck!
    Kellyann
  7. Astarte

Astarte New Member

I too called my nero aout pain meds. I told him I needed somethin to get me past the hard times, like a fire exstinguiser with the pain. He called me in a lousy scrpt of Vicodan 5mg. It takes some of the edge off and I try not to take too much since everyone is telling me I'll be an addict. I'd eat dog s**t if it would take the pain away. This is not living and tomorrow I start battle with the doctors for the almiightly truth about Fibro. I don't hae time to wait on what htey are going to do about me.

No I have high blood pressure...really high, (184/110) Finally after 2 weeks of that the dr. thinks it's time for me to come in and see about getting on some meidication. Gee, you think? Now I want to know why am I have such high BP? That's outrageous for someone who's been pretty health all htese years and with low b.p.
    The Nero put me on Lyrica. WOW, talk about a high from a drug! Wow. I was falling asleeping and walking through my life in a dreamstate. It was horrible. Yes, I stopped taking it.
    Now I'm to the point that I will tell what works for m and that's that. IF pain meds help;, them tell my new doctors they helped and I do neednmore, but I want to find out what's wrong with me becuase I need quality of life.
    Star
  8. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

I would RATHER be addicted, dependant, WHATEVER than have to live with the pain that I have at times.

I take tramadol + tylenol - same thing as ultram - and it works great for me. I have breaktrhough pain sometimes though, and what can I do? I wish they'd give me something for those times.

I think it totally sucks that we have to beg.

If they would LET me with all this freedom we have here in the USA, I'd grow my own darn opium or just whatever.

I hate to even ask to have my meds refilled. I just hate it.
  9. reckabek

reckabek New Member

thanks all whom responded...i have been a chronic pain patient for 5 yrs, and have been on vicodin and muscle relaxers, and have moved state to state...do new dr to new dr... maybe when my dr. actually see's my records that havent came in yet, he will see i am not lying.... i dont know, i mean i dont think he thinks im lying... he just didnt suggest a drug to help me... maybe if i take it slow and still have this pain(which i do, it just goes in the back...not all over) ...i just know what works...ive tryed everything under the sun...and everything less then percocet.... and only for me vicodin....will edge it off...and i can function for exactly 3.5 hrs..hehe/// but..
    well thanks again...what is Ultram?? i think i read on that.... right now its just muscle aches...like i climbed a mountain for hours and then fell down it, to get all the other muscles u dont use for climbing... and tension. well i hope this resolves itself soon...im sure i will be calling the dr. again/// thanks gals and guys?? beck!!
  10. reckabek

reckabek New Member

U know, i have herbs gallor in my cubbard, it hasnt even occured to me to try and use em...i have a huge jar of that BUTT smelling valarien, as well as skull cap, and others that r a calming or relaxent...thanks for bringing back my memory...beck
  11. Trishgray

Trishgray New Member

I was diagnosed with FMS twice, by two separate pain doctors. I have adverse reactions to pain meds, they don't make me drowsy, they make my heart race and I want to clean the whole house, which we all know isn't good for us! I finally convinced my doc I couldn't take Vicadin, Percocet, ultram, etc. He FINALLY started prescribing me oral Demerol. He gives me only 10 little pills every couple of months ( so I don't get "addicted") and it has made my pain go away. Sometimes it just takes a while to convince your doc that he/she can monitor your use of narcotics, but it worked out for me in the long run. I also am prescribed a muscle relaxer, Soma, it helps relax the knots we all get in our muscles. Hope I've helped a little! Be well, and God Bless!
  12. Astarte

Astarte New Member

So Ultram works without feeling high and you can function?

I'd love to have an alternative to Motrin and my last resort, vicodan. They are more worried about addiction than relieving this pain. If I could afford it, I'd be off to Mexico to buy it so the dr. would fill my pitance of a prescription they give me.

I thought they had misdiagnosed me becuase I had 4 weeks of no pain. Then it flared up in the worst pain I've ever had. Even the part of my body that touched the matress as I laid in pain hurt! I could barely walk. I'm not sure which is worse, the death welcoming migraines I've had the last 4 weeks for the body pain that replaced it.

Ok, maybe one of my kids need to go to medical school to find a cure and actually relize we're in pain.

Growing opium sounds good, lol. Or something else. I'm looking for any alternative to function and enjoy my life like before FM.

Star
  13. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

the vicodin I take, my original pain doctor gave me 10/325. That way you get more of the pain med, less tylenol, which is the 325mg. I was able to get 3 months at a time of that (I was doing mail order), but he would give me refills for the pharmacy also. As far as my morphine, I could also get 3 months mail order on that also,(they just started allowing that last year) but if filled at a pharmacy, it can only be 1 month. I didn't have to be seen monthly. Usually it was every 3-4 months, depending on how I felt. When I needed more morphine, I called, & they would mail it to me, since I was out of state. It just has to be filled within 1 week.
    Now that I see an internist for my pain meds, they call in the vicodin, but I have to pick up the morphine script physically, which is no big deal since I'm only 30 minutes away. Hope u feel better soon...