A Texas Tourguide

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Khalyal, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

For those of you considering a trip to Texas, there is a language barrier and several native customs you should know.

"Doonarah" means Are You Doing Alright? This is not a question, it is a greeting. The person asking does not care how you are doing, so don't respond by confiding your fear of heights or your angst over your upcoming job review. The appropriate response is, "Yes'm - you?"

"Whachadoon" and "Whachaknow" are also greetings, and similarly do not indicate concern on the part of the person asking. Both questions can be answered by saying, "Nothin much - you?"

"Kinnahippya", loosely translated, means Can I Help You? This question is actually one of concern. Not concern for you, but concern as to what kind of person you are and whether or not you are bringing trouble. Look into the eyes of the asker, so that he or she may judge your "goodness". Texans can see your soul.

Do not ask a Texan if he thinks it will rain. He will just look at you like you are nuts, because all Texans know that if you wait long enough, sooner or later, it will rain.

The speed limit is just a suggestion. Unless you have out of state tags, in which case we try to trick you by making the nighttime speed limit different from the daytime speed limit.

Although it may be perfectly legal where you come from, in Texas it is illegal to shoot a buffalo from the second story of your motel room. It is also illegal to milk another person's cow, throw feather dusters, or to let your pigs have sex on airport property. We would appreciate it if you would refrain from doing these things while you are visiting.

Do not be frightened when Texans flap their hands wildly about their heads as they are talking to you. This is not a disease, it's a habit. We have large bugs in many flavors, and we habitually shoo them away, even when they aren't there.

I hope this helps anyone who is planning a vacation to Texas. Just bring a camera and pack a lunch. You can park just about anywhere in the state and see something ridiculous within the hour!

2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

pedernales electric is pronounced perdenales. I guess we must have dyslexia.

Burnet street in Austin is pronounced Burn It Street.
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Hey Gal! Thanks for the insight on Texan Language! it sounds alot like "Rednecks Slang" up North here!,,,,,lololol,,,,So are you in NM?? must be by now! I hope you had a great trip!,,,,,How's the serenading going?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh Yeah i remember the "Howtheheckrya" Term Meaning How the heck are you doin'? in Redneck,,,,,,,,,,,,S,,,,I see if i can think of sommmorr!
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the linguist lesson.

I have been to Texas a couple time. My visits were too brief to allow a visit to Snook where, I've read, one can get chicken-fried bacon.

As we all know, Snook is just down the road from Bryan, Texas.

In your neighborhood?

Adios, pardnr

5. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

Joyfully, yes, I think we do have dyslexia. lol!

Sis, hey galpal! Yes I am in NM and loving it. Thanks for adding some dialect from your neck of the woods! As far as the serenading goes, he doesn't usually repeat his "shows". Can't wait to see what he comes up with next!

Hi Rock! It's sad but true, you can get chicken-fried anything here. I've even had chicken fried lobster, which seems like a travesty, doesn't it? Kind of like drinking Wild Turkey with your Chateaubriand.

Hugs, Y'all. :p
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Even 'chicken-fried' twinkies???

7. joyfully

joyfully New Member

They even deep fry pickles!
  8. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

I love fried chicken, and I LOVE chocolate....