A Thought That Cheers Me Up

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovepink4, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

When I feel depressed, angry, lonely, hopeless, I pull this thought out. It works most of the time.

If I was terminally ill,rather than having fibromyalgia, I would miss out on EVERYTHING. I would be desperate for any time I could get back from my deadly deadline.

Even though I can't live my life how I want, at least, I am HERE. I am HERE for my children. I am HERE for my husband. I am HERE to listen to how their day went and how they did on their test. I am HERE to answer the phone in the middle of the night to listen to a friend. I will be HERE to watch my children finish growing up, get married, have children, and watch their children grow.

When I think my life isn't worth living, I need to remind myself that life on the sidelines is still precious. Itisn't what I would choose but at least I am HERE. I may not feel like I am productive or valuable but ask my children if I am important. When they arrive home from school, or sports, or anywhere, they run straight to my room talking over each other in a rush to tell me all about their day! My husband even does it! He always walks back to our room to find me.

So, when you feel really low, depressed, or worthless, try to remember that we DO matter to our family, and our friends, and ourselves. If you don't have any family or close friends, being HERE is still better than the reality of fighting for your life.

It is just something that helps me and maybe it can help you, too.
  2. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

thanx for sharing :) your words really put things into perspective. sometimes we forget things could actually be worse. still it is a challenging life to live with our illnesses. the people around us really do help make it matter.
  3. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

for posting this, ilovepink4. You are so right!

4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Great message, ILovePink!
  5. CFS1992

CFS1992 New Member

Thank you Ilovepink4. You sure know how to make the world look brighter! Take care.
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the lovely reminder! Hugs, GB66
  7. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

I used to tell my elderly friend, who complained of all the things she couldn't do, "If you keep focusing on what you can't do, you will miss out on the joys of what you can do."

A few years later, those words came back to haunt me.

When I realized I would likely never go hiking of canoeing again in my life, I cried. It was my first major loss. And I was only 40. But, I didn't have a brain tumor that was going to kill me.

In time I realized that although I can't go canoeing, occasionally, I can lounge on the side of the creek enjoying the sounds and smells and watching the joy that others have.

I also realized that my back porch is a great place of discovery. That summer, I saw three different flies. I watched as they landed on me, studying their movements and unusual markings.

I listened to the birds and watched them as they fed at the feeder and drinked the water. I enjoyed petting my cat, who I call my rest buddy. And I noticed the way the leaves of tree next to my porch. (I just had a CFS word recall problem. I can't remember the name of the species of tree.)

So it wasn't the life I chose, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a life with experiences and joys.

I used to listen to Dr. Laura on the radio. She is a psychologist who gives advice. She no longer is aired in my market area.

I will never forget the woman who had some debilitating illness that actually kept her bedridden, all the time. She was crying and considering ending her life because she felt she was a burden. She couldn't go to her children's games, etc. She felt she couldn't be a mom.

Dr. laura pointed out that in the most important ways, helping with homework (on her bed), advising her daughter about boys, etc. she was still a mom. In fact, all these other ways are more important than going to games or fixing a meal.

8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Thank you so much for sharing this. I really need to think more like this, POSITIVE. I have spent so much time being angry and sad about having such a worthless life due to these dds. I've wished many times that I did have a terminal illness, it's awful to live like this.

I always feel guilty for not being able to go out and do things w my kids anymore. For instance, I'd never survive a day at Disneyland or anything like that. Or shopping at the mall w my daughter:(

But, as you said, I am here for them. I tell them I love them several times every day, and always try to keep communication open. I'm a mom, just not one who can go for a marathon day of walking or other activities.

Mom is the most important job! I can still do it lying on the couch or from my bed:)

Thanks and Hugs....Hermit

I just thought I'd add this quote I received in an email...author unknown.

'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way

You cope with it is what makes the difference.'

[This Message was Edited on 11/07/2009]
  9. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

Hey guys! Thanks for all the nice hugs! I am glad to be of help. Don't get me wrong, I have my days....oh so many of them...but, once that thought popped into my head, I just repeat (through gritted teeth and a snarl on my face sometimes) "At least I am here" instead of my usual (and very negative) "I hate my life"

If you have ever watched or read The Secret, you will understand why it is bad to say the negative stuff over and over....and my normal "i hate my life" is probably going to bring down a wrath of nasty illnesses or bad luck!!!
  10. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

I really needed to hear this today, feeling awfully sick and depressed.I seem to think about all the Great things i could be doing if i wasent this sick here lately:(

But you make a Great Point, even my daughter said the other day," Mom,, I'lll take you any way i can have you! your a great Mom and im just glad your here!" ;)

Now bring on the Grand babies,lol.
    thanks again Pink!!