A tip for the herxing...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, May 16, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I thought I would pass this piece of advice on to those of you who might be herxing in case this might help.

I started a new med this week and think I am going thru this. I was researching this morning and found somewhere that Alka-Seltzer might help and since I had some in the house, I figured it could not hurt.

It did make me feel better and that is good news so I thought I would share.

Sonya
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It works because the body turns very acidic when its sick. My env. doc sells several alkalizing remedies, tri-salts and quad salts, her own formulas of the electrolytes cal/mag/potassium and one w/ or w/out sodium. She also sells AlkaSeltzer Gold and her allergy testers use it to bring someone out of a bad reaction. I had to have it once, and it did help.

I highly recommend people taking an alkalizing agent regularly. You have to take it on an empty stomache, because it neutralizes all acids in the body, incl. stomache acid needed to digest. I made the mistake of having a small drink of rice milk after taking an alkalizer and I couldn't even digest that, got such a knotted stomache. So I take mine first thing in the morning, or last thing at night. It makes me so relaxed and mellow, it actually helps me sleep and reduces pain.

Mine is called Alkabase, a blend of several calciums, salts, potassium and silica. Baking soda can work in a pinch too. My dad has always used baking soda for sour stomache and heartburn as his home remedy.

Jeanne
  3. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Wonder if this would help candida?

Thanks for posting
    Sue
  4. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

This may be a godsend as the herx symptoms are sooooo miserable , and there is not a lot that can be done to alleviate it .

5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Just curious , but do you know if apple cider vinegar capsules will help keep your system from being too acidic?
  6. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I wouldn't describe my symptoms as a herx, since I'm just continually sick.

But, I'm feeling extremely sick and hung over feeling every day when I first wake up. I literally cannot get out of bed and the process can take hours. It's horrible!

Wondering if alka-seltzer could relieve some of this sick feeling?

7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

it might have been in one of your posts becuase I did look at many posts here including yours with the article which I printed and also found with a google search.

This does tell me that I am not just imagining it though. I did not think I was going to be able to drive to work today, let alone work, but I took that and felt alot better and took another one about 4 1/2 hours later when I started to ache.

Thanks everyone and feel better.

Sonya
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Any disease state seems to thrive in an acidic environment. And many of the bacteria that flourish in our bodies when we have this disease are feeding off our oxygen depleted blood and tissues, because they thrive in an anaerobic environment. It becomes a vicious circle that makes us more and more sick. People dying of cancer have a very acidic body, so it goes to show you that alkaline is best for health.

As for apple cider vinegar, yes, it alkalizes too. As well as other foods taht would seem to be acidic, like lemon and lime, but they alkalize the body instead. The thing about apple cider vinegar is that it is the unrefined form w/ "the mother" that is best. the mother is a gross looking stringy clot of bacteria that the vinegar is cultured from. It's removed from vinegar in the refining process because most people wouldn't buy vinegar that is all cloudy and clotty looking. The mother is a form of friendly bacteria and that's where most of the health benefits of apple cider vinegar come from. But you usually need to get that unrefined and more benificial form from a health store.

As mentioned, if you are getting supermarket cider vinegar, you can get the same benefit from lemon or lime in your water. Or you can alkalize really cheap from baking soda. But alkalizing formulas are better because they boost electrolyte balance too.

Jeanne
  9. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I read about the lemon juice too and put some in my water this morning as well as tried to drink more water too, as I read about keeping hydrated.

sonya
  10. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I just purchased alka seltzer and swigged it down. Not pleasant , but if it helps with the fluey feeling from herxing on ABX, then I will be so grateful!

And I ordered apple cider vinegar tablets , as I realize an acid system makes a perfect habitat for bacteria to replicate . It is also a good host for cancer . Unfortunately , the liquid vinegar is not easy on my gut .

11. LdyM

LdyM New Member

What would be the alkalizing "formulas" that you mentioned?
  12. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I felt significantly better after taking the alka seltzer ! Within an hour or two I even got up and went for a walk for thirty minutes .

I am on ABX for LYME and the die off from bacteria is sooo miserable . Usually I have the worst symptoms upon waking . Now , I may swig the alka seltzer before my coffee and perhaps I will actually be able to do something before noon !

Thanks for sharing this tip !!!!!!
  13. Jeanne-in-Canada

There are many of them, and I don't necessarily think there are any standout superior brands. I ordered Alkabase off the internet. It seems pretty good, but ideally I'd like to have one w/ magnesium too, even though magnesium doesn't seem to do anything special for me personally.

AlkaSeltzer Gold is doctor recommended, by my environmental doctor anyway. She even sells it and serves it for bad allergy reactions at her office. I think I might try her quad salts next, it has cal/mag/potassium/salt.

Jeanne
  14. Jeanne-in-Canada

I actually bought the Alkabase off a candida treatment site that specializes in candida treatment and product line.

Jeanne
  15. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I am SO happy that the Alka-Seltzer helped you! I have gotten SO MUCH help here with med and suppliments and just plain advice and sympathy that I am very thrilled when I can help someone else out.

Of course a big thanks to Jeanne for posting the article in the first place. What I have is not the brand name, but something I got at the Dollar General for $2.50 for a large box so you don't have to have the brand name for it to work.

I am going to get some more today, but take heed about the aspirin content in the Alka-Seltzer. I don't know that it would be good to take every day because of that and of course there are those that cannot take aspirin at all.

That would be where those people would want to search out other alkalizing products. Of course aspirin was also one of the recommended remedies for herxing that I read also, so it might be the aspirin.

Aspirin has been suggested to me here before for the flu-like pain. You could experiment to see what works best and it might be a good idea to call your doctor's office and see how much aspirin is safe to take like I did with my Tylenol.

Jeanne, what does Alka-Seltzer Gold have that the others do not?

Love,
    Sonya
    [This Message was Edited on 05/17/2006]
  16. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

17. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sonya:

I never heard of such a thing, but after reading the response you got I certainly believe this can help. I am going to give it a try and will report back afterwards.

nyrofan
  18. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Apple cider vinegar is very heathful, but it is AN ACID.

IT WILL NOT MAKE ACIDIC CONDITIONS BETTER, BUT WORSE.

However, many are not able to take anything with salicylates.
  19. Jeanne-in-Canada

I don't know for sure. I haven't used regular or Gold myself. though someone did post the ingredients for AlkaSeltzer Gold on this board once, so the info must be available on the internet.

My guess is that regular AlkaSeltzer and the cheaper knockoffs mainly contain salt or baking soda that effervesces, and I guess they have aspirin too. I think the Gold has a more balanced blend of electrolytes like cal/mag/potassium too and possibly vit. C too.

I get the Alkabase in powdered form and capsulate it myself and add some buffered vit. C powder to my caps. I can't stand salt drinks. I tried taking baking powder in water for awhile, but quickly gagged and that was the end of that.

If you are going to just go w/ a generic AlkaSeltzer, you can save more money and skip the aspirin they add by just using baking soda. Dr.'s have actually been perscribing it as an old remedy for hyperacidity (which they can do urine tests for).

You can buy acid/alkaline test strips at your pharmacy too, and test your saliva, it's as good as testing urine, which I'm guessing would be messy to do at home. I've found the saliva testing to be quite accurate. I test my healthy fiance as a comparison, and he's always healthy alkaline and I can barely get alkaline even after eating the most alkalizing foods. The best time to test is between meals, because food will affect the tests big time.

Btw, if you have high blood pressure, definitely talk to your doctor first and get tested. High levels of salts can be dangerous, because you probably are very sensitive to too much salt and it can dangerously affect your potassium levels.

If you have low blood pressure, then you are the perfect candidate for salts therapy to alkalize and there is little chance of causing an electrolyte imbalance. You are more likely to correct it.

Jeanne
  20. Jeanne-in-Canada

A food that is acid forming in the body, really has nothing to do w/ how acidic it is. Lemons and limes are highly alkaline forming, but are rich in citric acid, which can boost a person's stomache acid when taken w/ meals, jsut as vinegar, rich in acetic acid can boost stomache acid and improve digestion too.

What makes a food alkaline forming is the minerals it burns down too. If that food is rich in alkaline minerals, as apple cider vinegar is, then it will alkalize. The acid properties of teh food have little bearing really, becuase they will burn off in the presence of heat. Fire will chemically convert these acidic qualities, as will the heat and chemical conversion of digestion.

Jeanne

p.s. Btw, I don't mean to seem cocky or combative about this. I was seriously questioning whether my memory was faulty about this and just did extra research to make sure you weren't correcting me about a serious error. The acid/alkaline thing is really confusing and it's taken me much research to understand the basics of it.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/17/2006]