A TURN FOR THE WORSE....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Godismystrength, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Relapse? Flu? ...or something else? Reactivated Epstein-Barr/Mono?

I have had to take a break from all electronics this week due to how weak and badly I've been doing :-(

I'm just not sure what's going on... if I had the flu, would I even be able to tell a difference from a severe ME/CFS relapse?? I don't know...

But something has changed... haven't felt THIS bad for THIS long since I had full -blown mono. Praying that's not the case... ALL of my symptoms have gone to a whole 'nother level...

Too weak to get to the doctor and too weak to go through the torture of the ER, as my husband has suggested...

Seems like I'm constantly asking y'all for prayer... sorry, but I need to ask again...

Up until a few weeks ago, I had actually been doing much better... wish I understood what's going on inside of me... scary symptoms at times...

Any and all prayers are appreciated... very discouraging :-(

Blessings,
    Shel
    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2013]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2013]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2013]
  2. MicheleK

MicheleK Moderator

Hi Shel,

So sorry for how badly you are feeling.

I can tell when I get a flu because of the intense body aches that are usually much worse than the regular ones I have with ME/CFS/FM. Also if you get those teeth clattering chills, that could be another sign it's the flu. We don't usually have those to such an extreme. Of course everyone is different.

You have been giving out energy you did not have for a while now helping your father with his health crisis. I am not surprised that your body is now in it's own crisis. Please just rest. And if you feel you should go to the ER, call an ambulance so they can put you on a stretcher and wheel you in ahead of any in the waiting room.

When we are this sick, even breathing can feel like a chore. Sending you some love, Michele
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

My husband who is pretty healthy and was getting over it, had it rear up even worse. It's going on 5 weeks for him, 7 for me and 2 l/2 months for my son. My son up in Portland said the same thing. He's had 3 relapses and each one is worse than the last. I've had at least 4 relapses. Some people at my husband's work have said the same thing. This is one bad flu that's going around.

Hang in there. I keep telling myself this can't last forever (I'm trying to only think the positive) I'll keep you and everyone else up in prayer. Actually, I do pray for this board and everyone suffering.
  4. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Did any of you have the flu vaccination and still catch the flu ?
  5. sunflowergirl

Nor did the family members who got sick. I'll have to ask others who got the flu if they got the shot. It's my understanding that it only covers about 50% of what's going around so you could get it and still be sick.

6. freida

freida Active Member

Dear Shel,
    I am sorry you have been so extra ill, and still are.

I am glad you posted since I and others, I'm sure, have been thinking of you, and wondering how you are doing.

I hope you will feel any bit better, as soon as possible.

Take good care!

Leah
  7. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

I know lately it seems like a frontloader has been delivering a load of scrap to our house every day. Getting better seems about as easy as nailing jello to a rock. And I know things aren't going good for you. I wish I had a magic wand to make you and all my friends here be out of pain forever. But until that happens, all I can send are hugs, prayers, good energy and positive thoughts. They are yours for the asking!

Soft hugs,
    Stacey
  8. I appreciate the prayers and kind thoughts.... Ladycarol, I did not have the flu shot... I used to get it yearly until the mono hit followed by the ME/CFS years ago... It was my understanding that folks with weakened immune systems weren't suppose to get the flu shot... Although I have read other views on that subject on this board...

I don't think it's the flu, but it does feel like some virus is bearing down on me right now... I do have respiratory symptoms to go along with my ME/CFS symptoms right now... Sore throat that keeps getting worse and a cough... And this lethargy is off the charts right now... So sick of this!

Also, dealing with the sadness and disappointment of not being able to be with my youngest son right now as he is an hour and a half away performing piano at a competition... It is only his second year doing this competition and he gets very nervous... I am his biggest "cheerleader" and usually have a way of talking to him to keep his nerves in check... But today, I'm just too sick and couldn't go. :-(

My husband is with him, and while I know he will do well, I am sad to be missing his performance and not being able to be there for moral support... I remember being there last year and what a blessing it was... Just another thing to add to the long list of important things I've had to miss because of this DD!

Feeling terrible at the moment... Thank you for your prayers! I'm hoping for better days soon...

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel
  9. sunflowergirl

That's what's so bad about what we go thru. All those important times that we're absent from.

You've got a bug....it's been going around big time in calif. Mine started with the worst sore throat ever, waaaay down deep where gargling wouldn't touch it. I never ran a fever the whole time......though my son and husband ran l02 temps. By one week the sore throat was letting up but then came terrible laryngitis for a week, along with terrible coughing.....the coughing lasts for weeks for everyone who has gotten this. Lots of mucous in your chest that I just felt like I was choking on. I did a lot of inhaling steam under a towel and also bought a vaporizer which seemed to help a little. I also used a sinus rinse kit every day so I wouldn't get a sinus infection. I hope you start to feel better soon. This is such a bad bug.

As I said in my earlier post, this seems to come back with a vengeance when you think you're starting to get over it.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2013]
  10. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

>> It was my understanding that folks with weakened immune systems weren't suppose to get the flu shot...

Shel, the opposite is true. People with compromised immune systems are far better protected against catching Flu when they and their herd (family, friends etc.) are vaccinated. It's sometimes necessary to require 2 Flu vaccinations as they provide a higher level of protection against Flu.

There is so much misinformation & fear out there regarding the Flu vaccination. The reason there are so many people catching the Flu (and dying from it) is they are unprotected. The higher the percentage of the population that is a vaccinated against the Flu the less risk there is of anyone catching Flu.
  11. freida

freida Active Member

Shel, I am sorry you could not go with your son,
    but you made the right decision.
    He needs you more, to take care of yourself, and try to be as well as possible for him,
    when he gets back at home.

And it also helps him to not get sick, when you take care of your own sickness.

I know the sadness over missing things like that!

But it is truly more important that he has you,
    there for him and rooting for him all of the time,
    so you must prioritize and take care, so you can do those more important things for him.

I hope you improve soon!

Leah
  12. ... Sunflowergirl, I'm so sorry to hear what you've been dealing with, as well... It's bad enough to deal with those symptoms for a week, let alone WEEKS... I hope you're completely over it very soon... Prayers coming your way.... And hoping whatever this is that I'm dealing with, it won't drag on for weeks...

It WAS hard to miss yet another thing for my son... You would think I would be used to it by now... But I don't think I'll EVER get used to it...

But Leah, you're right, I know I did the right thing by staying home... This was one of those times that I couldn't have pushed even if I tried... There simply is no energy in my cells right now... HATE when it's THIS bad... But it does cause me to depend on The Lord even more when I'm this weak... So I keep telling myself "that's the good that is coming from this very difficult and trying situation".... I just have to keep remembering that... Not always easy though :-/

Btw, my son did very well... He earned a "superior" from the judges for both of his songs... And for as difficult as his songs were and how nervous he was, I am so happy for him! Haven't found out how he did on the written "music theory" part yet, but should know soon. Music is such a blessing! Would give anything to be able to get back to my harp... Maybe some day...

Thanks again for your support and caring, everyone... You are all blessings! God bless each of you!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    shel