A typical day

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roro, Oct 16, 2002.

1. roro

roro New Member

I wrote this to some friends to give them an idea of what i go through every day:

I wake up sore, achy all over and unrested. I hobble over to the coffee pot and get that brewing. Jump in the shower. The hot water helps the soreness a little. I drink my coffee on the way to work, and try to wake up a little. At work I sometimes feel OK and can accomplish something, the rest of the time I feel grateful that I still have a job being so unproductive. then I look around at the healthy people and realize they are no more productive than me, and they dont have my illness to deal with, so whats their excuse. Some days its a struggle to stay out of the ladies room more than an hour to get any work done. Other days I just feel exhausted and watch the clock till its time to go home. On the drive home, I am exhausted, and fighting to keep my eyes open. I really just want to go home and take some motrin and take a nap. But I cant. I have to be taxi and drive my son around to all his activities. And I only have ONE kid. I cant imagine having 2. There have been plenty days when I nap in the car at my son's soccer practice. I sometimes wonder what the other parents must think of me. The library is across the parking lot from the soccer feild, and there have been days when I have not been able to walk across the parking lot to go use the bathroom in the library, and had to drive there and park in the handicapp space (no, I dont have a pass, and when I feel like that I really dont give a rats a$$). Then after all his activities I go home and cook dinner. Sometimes I have to run to the store to get something. After all this I am so worn out I cant do much but lay on the couch and veg in front of the TV until its time for another restless night's sleep. If I am feeling a little better, I will go on the computer. If I feel really good, i will go to the gym. The weekends I try to catch up on laundry, errands, etc, but there is usually so much to do I never get it all done. My bf lives with me and helps me a lot, and somedays I really dont know what I'd do w/out him. I dont really have many friends that I spend time with or any hobbies. My life is so overwhelming, its all the energy I can muster to just work full time and take care of my son. I am not trying to make anyone feel sorry for me. i do have a lot of joy in my life, and when i am feeling well, it makes up for the bad days.
  2. roro

roro New Member

I wrote this to some friends to give them an idea of what i go through every day:

I wake up sore, achy all over and unrested. I hobble over to the coffee pot and get that brewing. Jump in the shower. The hot water helps the soreness a little. I drink my coffee on the way to work, and try to wake up a little. At work I sometimes feel OK and can accomplish something, the rest of the time I feel grateful that I still have a job being so unproductive. then I look around at the healthy people and realize they are no more productive than me, and they dont have my illness to deal with, so whats their excuse. Some days its a struggle to stay out of the ladies room more than an hour to get any work done. Other days I just feel exhausted and watch the clock till its time to go home. On the drive home, I am exhausted, and fighting to keep my eyes open. I really just want to go home and take some motrin and take a nap. But I cant. I have to be taxi and drive my son around to all his activities. And I only have ONE kid. I cant imagine having 2. There have been plenty days when I nap in the car at my son's soccer practice. I sometimes wonder what the other parents must think of me. The library is across the parking lot from the soccer feild, and there have been days when I have not been able to walk across the parking lot to go use the bathroom in the library, and had to drive there and park in the handicapp space (no, I dont have a pass, and when I feel like that I really dont give a rats a$$). Then after all his activities I go home and cook dinner. Sometimes I have to run to the store to get something. After all this I am so worn out I cant do much but lay on the couch and veg in front of the TV until its time for another restless night's sleep. If I am feeling a little better, I will go on the computer. If I feel really good, i will go to the gym. The weekends I try to catch up on laundry, errands, etc, but there is usually so much to do I never get it all done. My bf lives with me and helps me a lot, and somedays I really dont know what I'd do w/out him. I dont really have many friends that I spend time with or any hobbies. My life is so overwhelming, its all the energy I can muster to just work full time and take care of my son. I am not trying to make anyone feel sorry for me. i do have a lot of joy in my life, and when i am feeling well, it makes up for the bad days.
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

each phase of my life brings different challenges. My kids are grown and I miss them dearly, but I KNOW I couldn't be a good mom in my current state. I work full-time as a nurse, but it drains EVERY drop of energy from me and I come straight home and go to bed. As you can surmise, I am not asleep now, so work has to be out of the question for me today. I called in sick. I am so nauseated and the back of my head hurts. I know how hard it is for you to be a good parent and I'm thanking your bf can and does help...consider yourself blessed in this area!
    Love to you!
    Kady
  4. Girlof41

Girlof41 New Member

Roro, I think you are doing great under your circumstances, if you look around you'll see lots of soccer moms napping in the car, I do, you shouldn't feel bad about it.I think you are doing your best and you should be proud of yourself for getting through your days. Keep up the good work!
  5. sookie

sookie New Member

There' no such thing as a typical day.I work full time in a factory and my co-workers are always kidding me that I'm a walking medicine cabinet.If I'm not running to the bathroom because of the irritable bowels ,I'm taking my meds to help with the pain,to settle my belly,or wearing my knee,elbow,or wrist braces for the xtra support.Then when they see me wearing my knit gloves in eighty degree weather because my hands hurt when they get cold because of some other syndrome from the fibro.I do have to agree I must be quite a sight if someone comes through who doesn't know me.Thankfully I can laugh with them about it or I might lose my sanity.My co-workers understand what I go through most of the time to get through the day,but I'm sure there are days when they wish they didn't have to deal with it too.Because no matter what anyone says it does affect everyone around you.I do try not to complain about how i feel all the time but they know if its a bad day because I stay quiet and don't kid around much.So as I said before we don't have typical days.Hope you have many good days then bad ones. Sookie
  6. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

all of you that are hoding down pt or full time jobs, raising kids, being caretakers..my hats off to you all. I am a little green..I wis I was still working..but could not do it as good as I wanted to anymore..I miss the money..but miss what having a job did for me..ahhhh, changes.
    Anyway roro..you are doing great..I applaud you!
  7. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

I guess Ya could Say

My Part-Time Job as An Accountant is my Saving Grace!

My heart goes out to those who are not able to continue Working!

Yea - I Know 'Sometimes' It Takes Ewww All My Willpower I have to get up on those mornings when I have to work! Yet, I remember my fellow fribomites whom are unable to be a part of Our Working Force!

Gentleness
  8. roro

roro New Member

I have to keep working. I am the bread winner in my family, and I do not want to raise my son in poverty. He has never had to do without, and I refuse to let him even if all I can do is work and sleep. I know that if I was on disability I would have more time to take care of myself and get more sleep, but then I would lose my house and have to live in poverty. Its just NOT an option for me. I am lucky that I have a job that is not physically difficult, basically I sit in a chair in front of a computer, and try to stay awake.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2002]