A update about me and a decorating question-poll

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Hey Everyone- I wanted to let you know I am still hanging in there. I did really well until Fri then I hit the wall and crashed. I have been in bed all weekend. I did hurt my ankle, bad sprang and maybe a stress fracture so had to put it up all weekend and a soak in the hot tub that is across the hall from my room.

I am still waiting on my insurance adjuster for the house, not sure why but I am not worried too much as I have pictures on line of my house before, I know these things take time.

I did get a new car, not new, but new for me. I got a 2004 Jeep Liberty, oh it is so sweet, bright silver and has a sunroof- I lOVE it.

I have picked out my house, I am getting a small double wide, it is on my youtube channel- CKBALLL- it is 3 bd and 2 baths and a very compact design and perfect for me. I will use one of the bdrooms as a studio and the other as a guest room.

Once I get the ins rolling it will take about 2-3 weeks to get it so hope to be in it by early March.

Now I have to decide on what color appliances. The model has black and I love them but I have had many people tell me not to go with the black as it showed everything. I have a choice of stainless and white too. I have always had white so want something different.
    Has anyone had black and what do you think? I know people with stainless steel and they hate them- So any thoughts?

I will check in when I can but my brain is not quite with it and this week will be busy making color choices with furniture and home-countertops, walls, ect. The LR-kit is drywall and will leave it white for now. The baths and bedrooms are the colored wall coverings in most modulars homes, the kit,baths, ect of vinyl so have to choose those too. I am considering doing laminate in all the other rooms instead of carpet but need to see where I am money wise first.

I appreicate all your caring and support-for those of you that have my email please email me so I will have your address again. I lost all of them in the fire and will respond when I can.

So let the opinions fly here as I really don't know what to do with so many decisions-Thanks again- Carla

2. sisland

sisland New Member

Was just thinking of you yesterday, wondering how you were doing!,,sorry to hear about your ankle!,,,Glad you have a nice place to stay until your new home is in place!

Sounds so exciteing!,,,,I would go with the white appliances because i'm a country gal!,,,lolol,,,but of course it's your choice,,i love all the suttle colors like rose and blue,,,and now days they say that having all wood floors is alot healthier than carpet,,,,,,The counter tops seem to come in all colors and materials these days,,,have fun picking out all your new color patterns!

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well and looking forward to your new home!,,,,,HUgs!,,,,,sis
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you. Sounds like you are making progress. Is your ankle
    ok now?

Remember those trendy appliance colors: avocado and some shade of brown and
    a dull yellow that was called gold. Guess that was back in the 70s.

Last year I was at Best Buy. They had washer/dryers in cherry red. Kinda
    like having a sports car parked in your house.

I believe it is impossible for men and women to discuss colors since scientific
    tests show that women can see 2714 different shades. Men can only see
    7 basic colors plus black and white.

Old joke: "What do you mean you need a pair of white shoes?! You have
    seven pairs of white shoes."

"I know, Honey, but they're all the wrong shade."

4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Glad to hear from you and to hear that all seemed to be going well. I go with black too, although I do have an off white refrig. in the kitchen. Every thing else is black except for the sink which was stainless when we bought it. Sorry, but I do not agree with those who love stainless. I think they are hard to keep clean and wish I had a white one or off white. I know the big thing is stainless and it is hard to even get off white stuff any more. I had a hard enough time trying to get off white a few years ago when our washer and drier had to be replaces. We did finally get off white. Most now seem to be white , black, stainless or bright colors like red.

Personally I think some of the appliances, esp some of the smaller ones in stainless look cheap. However, that is just my opinion. Everything else you have or are getting sounds great.

Good luck to with your "new" car, it sounds great.

Sorry but I have to get off here and do some cooking for our dinner group tonight. Glad it is not here though and it is a BIG group !

I know you must be excited about your new place. it wounds wonderful and you should be excited. Hope you get to go in soon and all goes well and quickly with the insurance company and you collect what you should on your damages.

Thanks for popping in and letting us know.

[This Message was Edited on 01/24/2010]
  5. jole

jole Member

As much as this all sounds like fun to me picking out new furnishings, etc., I'm sure to you it's probably a chore since it wasn't a "choice". But new is always nice, even though I'm sure you'll always miss what you had.

My daughter wanted the black appliances when they first came out 'cause they were the style. She got a washer/dryer in black, and a toaster. The first time she used the washer she spilled some detergent on it and had a heck of a time getting it to not show. Loved them, but said the upkeep was horrible. She now has white. Mine have always been white, so that's all I can tell you......:)

I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle, and hope it heals soon. Was that still from going out the window, or since then? Bet that hot water does feel great to it!

A stay in the motel sounds wonderful to me, but I'm sure March can't get here fast enough for you! Your own place will feel like a bit of heaven...peaceful, serene, YOURS! Take good care of yourself and that great doggie girl.....loved seeing her in your video. She seems to be happy with your choice also. Love ya..............Jole

PS...Just wanted to add if you go with laminate floors, don't do the really cheap ones. We went cheap in the basement and they chip if anything heavy is dropped on them. A little more money gets stronger material (of course).

[This Message was Edited on 01/24/2010]
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

I was also wondering what was going on an if things were getting sorted out/dealt with for you. So sorry you sprained your ankle, but, sounds like you need the rest anyway...

In the house we bought here, there was a black & stainless oven and stainless refrig. The stainless refrig really shows everything. The black glass front oven isn't too bad, but does also show everything. We keep the stainless top covered with foil, LOL, as we hate cleaning any type of stove-top.

I have had white for years before, also 'almond'; if I had to replace, I'd buy white again. White is enduring and really never out of style unless one has the $$ to replace when tired of something. Our old white refrig is still running 26 years later and blends in fine, still, with our house back in the states (kids are living there now) -- unlike the horrible avocado green/harvest gold bathroom tile & tubs from 1974 which we never got around to replacing. Our kids hate it too.

I keep hoping one of these days 'retro' 1970s will come back, but not likely for another 50 years when it's been ripped out of 99% of old houses...

Now I'll go look up your youtube video and email you!

all the best - glad things are working out 1 by one!
  7. ckball

ckball New Member

And am more confused than ever-lol. My house had a black diswasher and a white glass top stove with black oven door and a white fridge. I really like the look of the black but can see Tyw's white hair sticking to the fridge door and such too. I am going with a light laminiate flooring and a neutral vinyl floor so will need some more thought.

Rock I use to have the avocado years ago, miss them so much-not!

My mom's house had the pink and green tile and tub in the bath too, so i have had about every color there is in my houses. I feel white is too stark with the warm cabinets. I bought these really cool end tables that look like trunks and have black trim at an estate sale my boss had last week.

I do like ecletic and think I can mix the old with the new and will have to go look at other models that have white in them to see how they look.

Jam my fridge belonged to my mom and she bought it in the 80's and it worked great-lol- nothing wrong with "well used" lol. This is the second time in my life that I have been able to buy a new home. The first was when I was married the first time MANYYYYYYYY years ago.

I have always bought fixer uppers but am tired of it now. It served me well and made money on them but I can't do it anymore. They have come a long way in modular homes and was very impressed with what I saw and how well built they are.

I am putting it back where my old house was, I love it up there so no reason to go anywhere else and there is nothing out there, my friend is a agent so I did look and there was nothing.

This has been a freeing experience for me, I can't describe it and there are things I won't replace and am looking forward to a clean, simple life so I can really enjoy my days painting canvas and paper and not walls and such.

I have found some really beautiful new clothes on clearance and that helps to look good again. I had turned frumpy so that has changed. I went to Macy's today and got 8 peices of clothes, tops, comfy wear ect for $68, they were 75% off.

I am making the best of it and am thankful to be alive and have my Twy. She has won the staff over here at the hotel. My room is close to the entrance so I open the room door and she goes around the corner and waits for the automatic doors to open, go does her thing then comes right back, it is too funny.

Speaking of which she wants out now- thanks for all your advice and will consider them all. Carla
  8. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

So glad to hear that things are moving along. First things first though, take care of that ankle!!

As far as the appliances go, I have had black appliances in my kitchen for 13 years now; had white prior to that and feel that the white was much harder to maintain than the black. I have a black stove/oven combo, dishwasher, and refrigerator. The dishwasher and the refrigerator are both partially covered in wood though. I love the refrigerator; before it was covered in the wood it was easy to maintain because it has a grainy finish. It's an Amana with the freezer on the bottom and it is a bit wider than average, with a little less depth, so it is flush with the cabinets and gives a nice custom look since it's surrounded by cabinets on top and down one side. My washer and dryer are white, but they're in the basement in a laundry room--the white brightens that room!!

The stove is sooo easy to keep clean--it's an electric radiant cook top. Even the worst spills are a breeze to clean up!! We are not zoned for gas, and I hated those coils!! They were the worst!! I love the radiant cooktop so much that if I ever moved and there was gas at the new place, I would definitely buy a new stove just to have my radiant cooktop!!

The stainless steel is the 'newest' look in appliances, but a few of my friends who have it say it is tough to keep clean, especially if you have pets that may make pawprints.

Anyway, I hope you are excited about your final selections!! Let us know what you came up with!!

Peace and joy to you!!

9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sounds like things are going a bit better. Did you go to the doctor about your ankle.

I would go with the black. My sister got the stainless steel and it shows all the fingerprints which it was not suppose to do and even though they are expensive appliances she said they got old very quickly. Her kitchen is surrounded by two story windows, and it gets very bright, so everything tends to show up on the appliances.

I think black is kind of elegant looking especially with darker cabinets but you are getting this advice from someone who right now doesn't even have appliances that match!!

Hey, that's an idea. Do one large appliance in white, one in black, and the other in stainless steel. Which appliance gets which color to be decided by you. Then get an avocado microwave complimented by a 70's yellow toaster.

Can you get a hot tub or perhaps one of those soaking or jetted tubs? What colors do they come in?

Sometimes things like the color of the cabinets, floor, walls etc. will make a difference in what color you chose.

Take care.

ETA Nice place. I really think black appliances will look nice with the wood cabinets. You even got a whirlpool bath. Yes!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2010]
  10. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Hey Hon! Sorry I've not been keeping in touch much. Just got so involved in my own little world.

How come you are having such bad luck? It is sad to see you suffering through so much. I pray that you'll get through this. You aren't alone here. No one is here to judge anyone.

I have a question, do you like country music? If so, what kind?

Also, how far are you from Nashville, or Memphis, TN? I'm planning on moving down there in two months. It's a lot of decisions for me to make, so I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed, with too much on your plate. I will pray for us that we will get through this.

Fight :)