A walker for Valentines Day..Please come to my pity party

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lin-z, Feb 7, 2006.

1. lin-z

lin-z New Member

It is almost surreal to me. I am not even 50 years old, a year ago I was keeping up with the best of them in a high impact aerobics class, and now I am in need of a walker????

I know I know things could be worse but holy smokes, went to a new rheumy (actually p.a. cuz he was too busy but I knew that in advance), my husband had to drive me cuz I havent been able to lately(sometimes I can).

It was so humiliating ...these darling ladies probably at least 30 years older than me were trying to help me with all my records and then when I dropped my ins card about 4 of them jumped(sorta) from their chairs to help me..

I acted physically at least 100 years old and I'm done with the embarasment but my own humiliation was more than I could bear. My husband who was a bear after a bad night (poor guy...only kiddding grrr)may have lost a big deal since my appt. went so long

The new rheumatologist and staff seem knowledgable and fine....a good distance from my house but I will give them a shot...starting over yet again..not fun...

I adore you all but I want to hear a growl in your responses ;)

2. lin-z

lin-z New Member

dont know how bump works but i really need a tissue from you guys
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but after I rried it I loved it.I can walk further and faster with it(on my good days)The doctor?You know what we think about him.Linda
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

It shows you the good folks out there..they want to help.

But Lin-Z it makes them feel good also, to be able to help someone. Don't give up the independence that you can claim, but let others help.......as you are also giving them a gift. Graciously accept and just thank them. They might need that right then in their lifes.
    Blessings.
  5. lin-z

lin-z New Member

for your replies...i feel less hostile today but perhaps a bit sadder...my new gosh darn royal blue walker fully loaded,all wheel drive, with a hemi doesnt fit thru my teeny weeny bathroom door...lol that was the main reason I got the stupid...scuse me..top of the line thingy in the first place. oh well

my dear husband must have added 100 pounds to my real weight and thats what i got hahaha. a big momma walker.I've gained alot of weight but I do believe theres more weight to be received(specially with my new meds)

And I do appreciate the older women helping me..I truly do , its just that I look likeI should be the one helping them and you know what I mean...I just may have made one of their days by them thanking God that they didnt get so sick so early in life.

Quick question about walkers...is that really what I need or can anyone think of a better device? i have a hard time putting weight on my legs (and arms) but once i am up and going its ok.. i have no balance issues at this point.i need something to get me up off the throne, chair etc any ideas?

YOu all are the greatest..lindsey
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi Lin-z

I turn 50 on Valentines day. This isn't exactly how I'd planned to be feeling. My darling hubby and I married 8 years ago. We were both the picture of health. He's five years younger. Now he has severe arthritis in both knees, high BP and Crohn's disease. At least I don't have to worry about him leaving me!

Last year, for 3 months, I had to use a cane due to my knees. I've had a sinus infection that won't go away. I went to my Dr for another round of antibiotics and now he thinks I have Rheumatoid Arthritis as well as FM (along with Hashimoto's, IBS and all the other crapola).

I'll be off to see the Rheumatologist on the day after my birthday. I wonder what good news he's going to have for me then!

Then this morning, after my aging dog and crazy cats kept me up all night, I stepped into dog puke! Are we having fun yet??????

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Eileen

7. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

After my auto accident I told the dr that he had better give me one!

Don't feel bad about it - you know you are not old! The way I look at it is that you will still have your independance!

I hope it works out well for you! By all means, there is no reason to be embarassed with it just keep moving!

Kelly
  8. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Lin-z,
    So you got new wheels? Great! Try real hard and change your way of thinking. . . With all our problems with this DD, it's about the only thing we have control over. Remember that book 'Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and it's all small stuff' Maybe it would be a good time to read that book again. This might appear major, but in the grand scheme of things, it's minor and might just be temporary.

The walker will make you much more mobile and prevent falls (which could create other problems you'd rather not have.) I have balance issues also and I'm a year older than you. I often have to use a cane. It's just part of it. So try real hard and think of this new vehicle as a new way to get around, like your first car.
    Maybe you could decorate it for Valentine's Day? I'm thinking red rhinestones...
    Giant hugs,
    H

Any ideas as to what is causing the balance issues?
  9. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I too have woken up to step in a narly pile of some kind of animal discharge...sometimes unrecognizable ...ew

Kelly thanks for the encouragement . I will consider this walker temporary, and the blue color really does go well with my coloring haha.

Mtn DEW I actually do NOT have balance issues at this time (hopefully wont) so I was wondering if something other than a walker would be better. My main issue is the weight bearing first thing in the morning. It is virtually non existent in both upper and lower body but does get beeter as the day progresses. Thanks guys!!!
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

GRRRRRRRR! GRRRRRRRR! GRRRRRR!

I'm a-growling for you even though I read that your feel less angry today but sadder. GRRRRR! I don't like you to be either. And I don't like the idea that someone your age needs a walker.

I am so sorry about all of this. I think we all remember what we used to do, and when I think about that, I feel even worse. So, I try to just think about this is how I am now....but I don't need a walker. I wonder if I would be so caviler if I did?

Blessings to you. I pray you will find the right thing to help you with weight bearing, and I was glad to hear it gets better as the day goes on. Do take care of yourself.

Sue
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Who would have thought that I'd be as excited as I am?I was at the store and we were thinking about buying it.The pain became so overwhelming That I could hardly stand from weakness and pain!

I think that you will eventually like your walker as it will give you more freedom.P.S. I just turned 53.Lind
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am sorry you had such a bad day. Do you have fibro?

It is hard to imagine, one year ago you were doing aerobics! What happened so fast? At one time I was so bad, I walked with a shuffle, so stiff and achy.

I am better now but it took alot and I still have to really be careful to take care of myself.

I would like to hear what has gone on in the last year with you.

Take care
  13. dwjdf

dwjdf New Member

thay make all kinds of chairs now adays that lift you off your backside even comodes. browse the web.

I have the same problem. for now I just never sit that low anymore. all the furniture is for tall people.

Wendy
  14. lin-z

lin-z New Member

My husband has an urgent call out to our gp (kind of his friend) because this morning was soooo bad. I literally could NOT get out of bed. He finally lifted me and the scream was horrible. I really think i have more disc crap going on than just the fibro.

I have only been dx a year and nothing that anyone has tried has helped. Maybe a few good days but even those are not very often...so badly so quickly which is why i think it may be more of a spine issue.

but what do they do when they find out yup you have 5 bulging discs instead of the original 2 ? I sure wouldnt want surgery ...anyway the topic all started with my new walker and there it sits..Not what I needed this a.m. Hope you all are having a better day
  15. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I started using 2 canes at 26 and was very embarrassed to be seen with them. Couldn't manage with just one since both legs get tired and wobbly. I switched to forearm cutches at 27 cause they give more support. I used them 2 or 3 times a month for the first year, then gradually more and more often. Started using them around the house a year ago and now use them all the time and am only 31. The advantage is that I am still mobile and able to walk as far as I want. Without the crutches I would stay at home most of the time. I've never used a scooter or wheel chair since the problem is not pain when I walk but leg weakness. I have a rolling walker but find that the crutches give more support and are not as clumsy going through doors or on steps. If you use the crutches correctly and don't use the underarm kind, it's no harder on the arms than the walker.
  16. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

LOL,,,I am cracking up at your post, I don't mean to laugh but this is so typical of FM. I am offering a issue. You have the right to wine now & then, we all do. I hope that you get some answers frm the new rheumy. It takes alot of

unneeded time & stress to finally find a dr. that knows what they are doing, so you may be on to something. Sometimes it is worth it to go a few extra miles if the dr. knows the disease & can give you some relief. GOOD LUCK!!

PIRT (Barbara)