a weird pain in my neck (literally) please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi - i have this new pain in my neck to the left of my throat towards the side of my neck. At first I thought I had pulled something. Now it is more of an almost constant pain. Very weird. Guess I am just worried - this is a new thing.

Anyone experience this before? And ideas on what it could be?
    Hugs
    Kim
  2. suz45

suz45 New Member

Kim:

Have you ever had trigger points on other areas of your body? This sounds like referred pain from a myofascial trigger point knot possibly at the base of your skull or even your shoulder region.

How is your range of motion? Can you turn your head, if not most likely involves a muscle. Trigger points can develop anywhere on the body.

Try using a moist warm washclothe or small hand towel in the affected area. leave it on for 10 minutes see if that helps.

You may want to check in with the doctor if it doesn't improve, have it checked out and possibly use a muscle relaxant if it is a muscle trigger point until you can get the knot worked out.

let us know how you are,

Suz45
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thanks Suz45, Prickles, Carla & AngelaG.....
    Last night it did the hot towel and took a muscle relaxant. Today it seems more annoying (like its pulled) as opposed to the pain I felt yesterday and before. So.. maybe that is it, a muscle thing.

I have got to learn how to do the trigger point massage. I have huge knots all over and have gotten very bad in my neck and shoulders. This might be shooting up from my shoulder knots - not sure.

AngelaG - yep - have fibro among other things - just one of the joys of this DD and all that goes with it I guess.

Thanks everyone - knew I could count on you.
    Bug Hugs :)
    Kim
  4. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Maybe you popped a vein? Is it bruised? Does it feel bruised even if isn't?
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

i guess it does feel a little bruised to the touch, but not visibly bruised.

What do they do if you did pop a vein? I am on blood thinners so I always get creeped out if I get weird symptoms.

Thanks for your input.
    Hugs
    Kim
  6. suz45

suz45 New Member

Kim:

If you really feel you bruised a vein you should see swelling and see some bruising, not just to the touch.

Its sounds like you may need to talk with your doctor, if it is myofascial pain, they can try meds but I have found that not usually very helpful.

A chiroprator or Massage therapist (licensed) or osteopathic physician may be able to help with the trigger points you have described. They have various forms of trigger point release and in some places you really cannot effectively treat yourself. Just a though.

Let us know how you are making out, it really sounds more like MPS/CMP different names same problem.

Suz45
  7. scalex1155

scalex1155 New Member

i have this pain almost constantly. my pain doc and physical therapist tell me it is the sternocleidomastoid (spelling?0) muscle that branches down to the front and back just below the ear. my PT gave ma an exeercise that helps to strecth it out and relieve some of the pain.
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Kim:

I have the same problems, but have been diagnosed with 'Cervical Disc Disease', so I can not blame it all on the fibromyalgia.

The fibromyalgia compounds the pain so it is like a daily whammy.

I use a warm heating pad. It helps so much i do not know what i would do without it.

nyrofan
  9. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you for your replies. It has eased up a little, bit sort of a nagging problem. Doc said I have another sinus infection (had fever, etc) and that can cause alot of symptoms. She still did not actually look at my neck though - she was in a big hurry - My $30 copay covered 5 minutes of a visit I guess... :-(

Injections in the neck.. ouch ouch ouch. I hate them in my back, so ouch!he he - I will see how desperate I get.

Also, bought a really great heating pad last night. It has 2 heat settings and shuts off after 60 minutes (good for those Ambien nights:) and the thing vibrates and pulses like one of those pedicure chairs. I really like this one.
    Thanks again for the advice.
    Bigs Hugs to all of you!
    Kim
  10. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello!

You may not want to chalk this one up to being another FM pain! This could mean a sign of some sort of infection.

With cold and flu season coming up I wouldn't doubt that it could be something in regards to one of those.

One year I got a REALLY bad sinus infection and flu at the same time and one side of my neck was so painful that it felt like I pulled a muscle or something but it was actually my glands swelling.

You are probably fighting an infection. Have it checked out.

Hope you get to feeling better!

(((HUGS)))

kate