A Young Man Just Died in My Yard.....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 1sweetie, Jun 3, 2008.

1. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

a few hours ago. He took his last breath as my son held his hand and prayed with him. He ran a stop light and hit a tractor trailer at a high rate of speed. It took them ever so long to remove his body from the car.

The tractor trailer proceeded around 350' across my yard damaging the yard and landscaping before he hit my dump trailer, large storage building, dog lot, and my son's nearly new truck. They look as if a tornado hit them.

Although I am so truly saddened by this unnecessary death, the monetary loss to us will be around $50,000.00. The deceased did not have a license or insurance coverage.

Although through the tragedy of the loss of both human life and monetary things, I am so very thankful that my son is alive. He had been as his truck 1 minute before the accident. Ten minutes earlier my DH and son were parked there in my car after returning from the doctor's office.

As those that read The Porch know, there has been so much happening in my life prior to this.

It's so sad. Life changes so quickly. I wonder if the young man has a family. He was much to young to die. I just found out he was 28.

I guess I'm just in shock.....hope by writing this I can clear my brain just a little bit.

Please pray for him, my son and DH who stayed with him as
    he left this earth. They are traumatized....we all are. My son keeps visualizing his face and feeling the touch of his skin.

Thank you for listening.
  2. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

none of us is promised tomorrow, and we must live each day with that in mind.

On another note:
    we have uninsured motorist protection on our stuff, so maybe you have that as well.

I will pray for all of you,
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear the bad news. I have come to the conclusion that if you are alive, you are in peril. Doesn't matter if you are doing something hazardous or just lying in bed.

Bunny has a good idea. Check on the insurance on your truck. It may have uninsured motorist property damage coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage used to apply only to injured people, but nowadays some policies include injury to people.

Also, your agent/attorney should check on ownership of the car. The owner (if not the deceased driver) may have coverage or liability.

4. ckball

ckball New Member

Oh my, all I can say is God has a plan, I don't see how much more your family has to take tho.

I can't imagine what today could have been like, how sad for the young man and his famliy. It will be something your son will never forget and thankful for that one minute.

I swear if I could see you I would wrap my arms around you and give the longest gentle hug and give you my shoulder to cry on. I am sorry so and it doesn't make sense but bad things happen to good people everyday.

Why was this 28 yo man doing driving without a license and insurance, what is sad is people do this so much more than we think.

Then you are left with the bill. Again Sweetie, I am so sad that this happened to you and your family. Just lean on each other and take it one moment at a time-Carla
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

The insurance carrier for the owner of the car just called and he carried a minimum amount. They said to refer to our coverage but we feel that the trucker should hold some liability. Although not at fault for hitting the car, he is the one that damaged our property.

The sad part is that the truck driver (who lives about 1 mile away from us) showed no remorse for the loss of life. I'm hoping he was in shock and not just being so cold.

Rock...I do agree with you. I am beginning to feel in peril at all times. When the accident occurred, I was trying to relax while listening to a relaxation tape.

6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I will take you up on that hug. I really need it.

There are so many people in the U.S. now without proper driver's license and insurance. He was only carrying an ID from Mexico and the owner of the car was identified by the car's license tag.

The truck driver was not wearing a seat belt. His injuries and his ability to handle the truck was impaired because of it.

People just made mistakes today and now someone is dead.

Thank you for your kind response and your reply Carla.
  7. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I just want to send you and your family a comforting hug. Take really good care of each other. Such a tragedy. Oh my...

8. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I'm so glad your family wasn't hurt physically. Praying your emotional wounds are healed for your family.

It makes me breathless just thinking about your son and the young man that died.
  9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Thanks for the hugs and prayers.

My son suffers from severe panic attacks and anxiety. He was amazing earlier but his adrenaline is waning.

All of us appreciate the support.
  10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Wow, I would be in a lot of shock too. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, your son and DH. Sending you lots of hugs (((((1Sweetie))))

11. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Thanks for the hugs and the info.

I live in N.C. After discussing the accident with my insurance agent, we decided to not call the claims department until we talk to the trucker's insurance adjuster again. We have had claims on our homeowner's in the past and like this we were not at fault BUT I'm sure they will drop us if they have to pay.

THe trucker's adjuster had said earlier today that if the deceased did not have enough insurance or none the cost should be divided between all the companies.

If you have any ideas, they would be appreciated.
  12. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Georgia...You are so right. We never do know what will be there for us to deal with the next moment.

Erika....Thanks so much for the prayers and hugs.

tleaw....My son is special. I know how hard it is for him now but he would not have had any other way than to be with this young man. It took so much courage but he ran to him and stayed with him until he passed. I hope the man knew someone was with him and that he was being prayed for.
  13. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Words just cannot express how sad I feel for your family and the young man's family. I will keep all of you in my prayers......I'm so very sorry. What a terrible tragedy.

((((((lots of gentle hugs)))))))))))))))
  14. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about such a terrible thing and loss of such a young life. What a waste. Yes, do check and see if your or (your son's insurance) might pay for some of the damage to your son's truck, etc.

Oh dear, your surely didn't need that with everything else going on in your life.

Yes, as Georgia and some others have said, take it one day at a time and enjoy what you can - stop and try and smell the roses even though Iknow if it is very hard sometimes.

God bless you Sweetie, your family and that poor young man that crashed and died in your yard. That is just to horrible !

Love to you all,

15. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

really sweetie, what can words convey. What a terrible thing. Gee on top of it all too. That poor man. Too shocked to speak really., Love Annie
  16. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Monica....Thanks for the prayers. It is a horrible tragedy.

Granni...Thanks for your words of comfort. I try to smell the roses but lately I've been finding lots of briers but I will keep trying.

Annie....Shocked is the right word. I really do not know how I'm posting tonight but for the moment it is helping me. Words just don't explain how you feel.
  17. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I am so very sorry to hear of the young man's passing in your yard today. How hard it must have been for your son, but at least the young man had someone with him as he passed. I hope the young man had family and they will be comforted knowing this. Your son is a special fellow!

Your family will be in my prayers!
  18. springwater

springwater Active Member

Im so glad your family wasnt injured in that horrific incident and can imagine the trauma your son and DH went thru being put thru what they did so suddenly and out of the blue.

I love your son for what he did. Husband too. They provided comfort to someone in his last minutes; not many people are put in the position to do so. They came thru for someone. The young man's mom and family would be so happy to know their son had some loving souls holding his hand and praying for him as he took his last breaths. This is making me cry now as i type.

In Buddhism, if you have someone praying for you as you leave this plane, it is that much faster/likely for you to make the journey on wards into the afterlife and much more certain to arrive into that beautiful place waiting for you immediately afterwards.

I do hope your tremendous financial losses will be covered somewhat...the others have given suggestions...

I hope and pray your son overcomes his panic attacks and you all will return to normality soon enough

Thank you for sharing

God Bless
  19. Marta608

Marta608 Member

The first thing that came to mind when I read this is When it rains, it pours. It's sure been pouring down on you lately!

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and the young man's family. Oh, that we could walk them safely through the years.

20. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am so sorry for you and your family and the poor man that passed away. Everyone above has said everything I wanted to say.

But I just wanted you to know I am thinking and praying for you and your family. You have so much on your plate already I don't know how you do it.

You are one strong lady Sweetie.