AA and FM Meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Jan 17, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Well ladies,
    So far, so good. I have not had a drink with my meds since hooking up with AA. Maybe I am in denial, but I do not feel like an alcoholic. I see it as self-medicating due to the pain. However, I do (as you suggested) go to the meetings and enjoy them. We go out for coffee after the meeting and it is the one chance I get to socialize.

I just wanted to give you an update: I am not mixing meds with alcohol any more.

Hugs,
    NyroFan
  2. zerped

zerped New Member

Excellent NyroFan. Don't worry too much about definitions. In my 16.5 years of sobriety, I've never been coerced into calling myself an alcoholic. If your life's not the way you want it, and you want to stay away from the next drink for a while, you're good to go!
  3. joanng

joanng New Member

Congratulations! Mixing drugs and alcohol is deadly and I'm sure you have many people in your life who would be devastated if something happened to you. Keep it simple, just for today don't drink.
  4. joanng

joanng New Member

Congratulations! Mixing drugs and alcohol is deadly and I'm sure you have many people in your life who would be devastated if something happened to you. Keep it simple, just for today don't drink.
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am w/some here becareful of the defination of an acoholic...

hugs to yu

jdoe
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

When my spirits are a little down and I get somehow doubtful: you manage to bring out the best in me.
    Thank you for your messages.
    Yes: I am going one day at a time. Although I have no desire to take the meds and drink with it, I did learn
    that the alcohol is very sneaky, so I am being vigilant.
    FM/CFS is bad enough: I do not need any more problems.
    And I do feel better. NO more having a hard time to get out of bed because of a hangover. What in the world was I thinking at the time.
    You all are an inspiration. And thank you for being so candid about your time being sober.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You done good girl!

I used to think that if the label said "May cause drowsiness, alcohol will intensify this effect" it meant take this puppy with a beer!

I'm older (much) and wiser (not much) now and almost all of my meds say not to use alcohol with them. I married a recovering alcoholic 10 years ago (clean and sober 16 years now) so I haven't had a drink in 10 years! When those around you don't drink it makes it much easier!

Hugzz and keep up the good work!

Greenbean

Don't forget to stop and smell the puppies.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Oh, NyroFan, what terrific news!!! I've been wondering how things have been going.

Like you said, having fibro is bad news enough, let alone adding the alcohol on top of it!

I am so happy and proud! I knew you could do it!

Attending those AA meetings are and have been a lifesaver for you.

I am so glad that you also have a doc that was willing to trust you with your meds.

I imagine that you really enjoy the time socializing, too!

It's great to hear that you made it through the holiday season with no alcohol! You're doing just fabulous!!!

Keep up the good work! We love you and are always here for you.

Big hugs,
    Janet
  9. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I agree with you though, how many fms sufferers are desperate to get some pain relief or get some sleep. Both can get some temporary relief from alcohol which can lead you down a slippery slope that can prove dangerous.

The label 'alcoholic' conjurs up a mental image of what we have seem in movies and tv that are the extremes.

I am so glad you are feeling stronger and in control once again. Keep up the good work.