Aaaaack!!! Anyone else on Famvir???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goaska29, Feb 17, 2006.

1. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

So I go to pick up my monthly supply of Famvir and it cost me $800...oh yea, i DO have insurance. I hope there is an alternative for Famvir in treating HHV6 that the FFC can reccommend.

Anyone else on Famvir?

-GoAskAlice
  2. GBHope

GBHope New Member

You actually had to pay $800? I could never afford that. That's terrible!

GBHope
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

My insurance would not cover Famvir, so I had to have FFC re-write the script for Acyclovir. I don't know if it is as effective, but I know I can't afford the big bucks out of pocket for Famvir. I know Valtrex is the other big anti-viral that FFC recommends.

I've been taking Acyclovir for about 6 weeks. I have had no reaction to it, good or bad. I'm taking it for EBV.

I'm still waiting on my other results (CMV, Mycoplasma, C.Pneumoniae). I didn't have the HHV6 or Lyme tests due to costs. Of the infectious agents, they were the most expensive.

Hope you get some more responses.

Katy
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I switched to acyclovir. I only take AV's now when I'm getting sick with a virus. I'm not even taking it now with a cold trying to catch me. I've just been taking my Vitamin C, zinc, and eccinacea, but I digress...

I think the Famvir is good for killing off a lot of Herpes-Family Viruses and then switching to the TF's, which actually train the immune system to recognize and kill pathogens. I took the TF's for three months and now only have to pulse them for a couple of days every 6 weeks.

Good luck. Ask the doc is there is a less expensive alternative. Famvir is the newest AV and is supposed to have fewer side effects than the older meds. It is not on my new plan's formulary.

Love, Mikie
  6. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I took the Famvir and my EBV is inactive now so it worked for me but my insurance did cover it. Now they Aren't covering Ambien of all things and it's $100 per month. These insurance companys stink!! Lynn
  7. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

depending on your financial situation, novartis does have a patient assistance program that can help you obtain the famivr at no cost. i've been thinking about trying it for ebv myself and i have no insurance either.

eddie
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member