AARP prescription drug coverage anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 28years, Jun 4, 2008.

1. 28years

28years New Member

I've heard that AARP has a lot of different insurance programs. Since I'm of age (50) to join AARP, I thought I'd check it out.

I'm especially interested in getting Valtrex and Valcyte coverage. I am also looking into getting these medications from the manufacturers.

Does anyone here have any experience with AARP prescription drug coverage insurance?
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have AARP prescription drug plan as my medicare part D.

I have the plan F and so far have been pleased with it, I don't take many Rx meds but when I do, I pay 7.00 for generic drugs and the non generic depends on what teir they fall. I think I had to pay around 28.00 for Lyrica. Which I couldn't take.

It will not pay anything on xanax or any benzo's not sure about the narc. drugs. It will pay on AD's.

I pay 33.70 a month for my plan. So far so good, but no more Rx drugs than I take been thinking of canceling it.

Good Luck,
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I am glad that your plan works for you and that you have found a way to not need prescription drugs. I just wanted to add that you should not cancel your drug insurance. Even if you aren't taking anything right now you never know when you may need it or what emergency might arise. I would think if you can afford the $33 then you should keep this just in case.

Just a bit of advice from someone who has been caught short before. Sorry if I am overstepping boundaries.
  4. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I understand their are different categories of monthly payment & copays & coverage. Hopefully someone directly experienced with aarp can answer this.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2008]
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

AARP endorses the United Health Insurance Company, it's not actually owned by AARP.

I have a drug card (AARP MedicareRx Preferred*) as well as supplemental health coverage through them. Thing is, not one of the meds I take are covered in their formulary! This is really the key. Check the formularies to see if the drugs you take are covered. You can find them online or call and ask them to send you a copy. And remember, they change them all the time.

Last year their contribution to my coverage was way less than I pay each month for the policy. I'm seriously considering dropping it for next year. The thing we must remember about insurance is that if we put aside the same amount as our premiums, we would often have enough to cover our meds. If we didn't use it all for drugs as I haven't, we could use it for other things if it was in our own bank account instead of theirs. We can have it auto-deducted if we're concerned about saving.

I know that something could happen that would make having drug coverage beneficial but it's like all insurance: you're betting you'll need it and the insurance company is betting you won't. It's a gamble.

We live in a society that bases many decisions on fear, especially insurance. That said, everyone must do what they feel comfortable doing - and can afford to do.

(I looked up Valtrex and Valcyte in my formulary book. Remember, this is with the plan I have*. Valtrex is in the formulary as a Tier 2 drug but Valcyte is not there. I took Valtrex for awhile years ago and it helped short-term. Does it help you? I'm not familiar with Valcyte.)

6. 28years

28years New Member

I priced all my scripts. With the aarp rx discount card (NOT the one for medicare), my scripts would cost MORE than they do at Walmart (where I get them now). Oh well, it was worth checking out.
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

...but that's often the way it goes with insurance.