Abdominal Exercise Helps Orthostatic Intolerance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Elisa, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Elisa

Elisa Member

Interesting info, albeit old research...

The beneficial effect of a training programme in improving orthostatic tolerance was elegantly demonstrated by Allen et al. (1945) in identical twins who fainted on the tilt-board. After a three-week training programme consisting of abdominal and trunk exercises applied to one of them, a subsequent head-up tilt faint could be elicited in the untrained twin only. This observation contrasts to the propensity of highly trained individuals towards a lower tolerance to orthostatic stress than untrained people. 'Trained men can run, but they cannot stand' may be common knowledge but we are still in search for the how and why.

Full article at:

Something about this idea that makes me wonder if something as simple (ha) as a sit-up could help those of us with OI?

Makes me want to do situps - maybe I will try some arghhh if I can,

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I also read that if you keep your leg muscles in shape, that helps, too. Easier said than done, though.
  3. Jayna

Jayna New Member

this summer, so might find out firsthand if my orthostatic intolerance (as measured by ability to stay upright longer than 5 minutes) gets any better.

Of course, I'm only doing the very lowest level of exercises once a week, so results might take until Christmas to be noticeable.