Abdominal pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wrecko52, Nov 22, 2010.

1. wrecko52

wrecko52 New Member

Hello everybody.I have been lurking around here for about 7 years and finally I need some opinions.I have Fibromyalgia and Myofascial pain.I also have anxiety,depression,osteoarthritis and overweight.I ahve a question that I need help with.In May I had an episode of upper right abdominal pain that starts after a meal and the pain intensifies so bad that sitting,standing,laying down does not relieve it.Then I get nauseated,throw up and get chills.I have had a hida scan that was normal,ultrasound of gallbladder that was normal and a CT scan that was normal.I have had three episodes since May.I went to emergency room all three times and they gave me phenergan in my IV and Morphine.The pain subsides until the next episode.Anybody ever experienced this before?I need answers.ER DR.s act like I am looking for pain medication.I take Oxycontin 30 mgs twice a day.But it doesn't take care of this pain.My husband got mad this last time and told the dr.this is breakthrough pain.He didn't want to give me anything.Thanks for any help you can give me.
  2. wrecko52

wrecko52 New Member

Thank you for responding and I am on alot of medication ,also.
  3. lisadot

lisadot New Member

Hi wrecko. Sorry to read about your pain. I suffered off and on for over 20 years until I finally had a bout of pancreatitis due to a stone getting stuck - apparently. I can remember my last two bad bouts, and one landed me in the ER. They were not helpful. Told me *maybe* it was my gallbladder. I had the scans and it showed sludge, not stones. After surgery I had was told I had a mess of adhesions from 20 plus years of this, and then the gallbladder was filled with tiny stones. Weird they didn't appear on any of the tests...

Anyhow, NOW I am worse off, because my liver is fatty. I had lab tests to get done Wednesday, and am I am a wreck myself. The anxiety of what could be wrong, or what my results may be. I've had a lot of stuff ruled out with hepatitis, etc. Somehow, I always have doubts about doctors - being a nurse doesn't help me here. It just adds to my neurotic tendencies with medical stuff - I think. I did NOT have a fatty liver before my gallbladder was removed. I have the ultrasound results and other scans to prove it. To me, it's a direct result of the surgery, and I feel sick about it.

Being overweight and on lots of meds is not good for your liver. A lot of docs don't seem to emphasize this point. These chemicals are hard on us. Yes, I know the pain. It keeps me up at night. So does the meal I ate at a steak house a month ago. I'm swearing off that place and trying to eat healthy, healthy, healthy. NOW, it's just too scary not to.

I don't mean to sound preachy, but I am in a similar boat - fibro, arthritis in my neck, anxious, and depressed from time to time. Overweight too, but working hard on reversing that course. I am forcing myself to exercise - which means walking - as many nights as I can. I don't feel I have a choice, and do it because I don't want to shorten my life by inaction. You DON'T want your gallbladder removed if you can avoid it. I wish I'd have asked for an alternative treatment, even if the doc thought it was silly or too alternative.

I wish I knew exactly what was wrong with you, but in the meantime eat well. Eat to feed your body good stuff, not junk. I wish junk didn't taste good. I will never eat anything fried again if I can avoid it. I am avoiding sugar, which I like too much. I have stopped drinking diet soda. So far, I don't feel any better doing this, and wonder if my pain is the ribs, my liver, or who the heck knows...I took 400mgs of Ibuprofen this weekend, and that was the first *pain meds* in about 28 days. NOT easy. I use ice,heat, showers, and massage. Anything to avoid meds which could hurt my liver.

4. wrecko52

wrecko52 New Member

Thank you so much for writing me back.I went to GI Dr. yesterday and He said it could be all of the medications I am taking.Doing an endoscopy tmorrow and see what happens then.He said come off of medications.There one or two I can eliminate but not the rest.I am very discouraged.Mean time the medical bills are piling up.I hate it normally but now with the holidays it is even harder.Happy Thanskgiving
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

wrecko (what a name!) - I hesitate to even post because hardly anyone ever responds when I write about muscle testing, but what the heck.

Many years ago I had a whole slew of digestive problems, the regular docs could find nothing wrong. At the time I had no idea what was going on, or if it was even digestion-related. Out of desperation I went to see a chiropractor who does muscle testing, sometimes called kinesiology. He immediately found a plugged bile duct and something else, gave me some supplements and I was feeling better in a couple of days. The digestive problems, continued however - I ended up with an inflamed gallbladder and a toxic liver - overwhelmed with toxins. Again, the regular docs found nothing but I went to the chiro with my symptoms - indigestion, burping, some abdominal pain, and he found these things and gave me more supplements which did the trick. I also ended up having to do a liver detox under his supervision.

I believe he saved my gallbladder. My digestion now is really good. I also had to start taking digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid with meals, especially protein-containing meals.

It is very important as lisadot says to eat properly - cut out fried foods, fatty foods, sugar, white flour etc. Many meds are very hard on the liver and so as your doctor said, you should cut out whatever you can.

Anyways, the chiropractor helped me so much, I would have been so much worse off without him. I think my digestive problems would have just worsened and I would have eventually had my gallbladder out, and nothing really resolved.

If you want to find someone who does the muscle testing, you can google Standard Process, call their customer service, and they will give you the names of practitioners in your area who use their products, which are hte ones my chiro used.

Good luck -

6. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I've been suffering for at least 5 years with the same problems. I've run all the tests and what they found was IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and also bad acid reflux. That being said I still have the pain everyday on my right side just below my rib cage.

At one point they did find that my appendix had ruptured and it also had an abcess attached.

I have a TON of scar tissue in my belly and my bowels are also entwined in scar tissue. They also found out that my bowels are attached to my skin.

I do believe I have something wrong with my gallblader but they docs disagree. All of my family members have had gallbladder issues and have had them removed.

If you do have fibro I also think that plays a big part in the stomach/rib area of pain. The only time the pain settles down is with pain meds and using muscle relaxers.

PS: They have done a lot of tests for my liver also and found that I have a fatty liver. I am also overweight but I have lost 40 lbs. in the last 4-6 months and it has helped.
  7. lisadot

lisadot New Member

Hi Monica,
    It's pretty sad when I feel relieved reading about someone else's discomfort. Not that I wish you pain, but this whole thing is so weird. Sorry to read about all your adhesions (scar tissue), and I hope and pray they don't cause you more bowel trouble. How did they know you have scar tissue, because it's always been my understanding it's not visible on ultrasound, x-ray, scans, etc.?

In terms of your gallbladder, I have to say don't let them yank it unless there is no other choice. I just believe fibro adds to the whole problem, and I wish my gallbladder wasn't taken out, because now my liver is fatty. The meds are a big part of the problem too, and then being overweight. To me, fatty liver is uncomfortable. Otherwise I'd never have been diagnosed with it! I could tell something was weird when I tried sleeping on my right side and it just felt *weird*, so I had an ultrasound done.

I'd already been diagnosed with IBS back in the 80s. IBS and fibro are EXTREMELY common - along with a slew of other things. I think either mine has flared up right now to a major degree - or my liver is getting more unhappy - and I pray it's my IBS because I am a neurotic mess, and perhaps making myself feel worse with the anxiety. I've been taking Xanax nightly, finding otherwise I can't fall asleep. It doesn't make me sleepy, but I think calms my brain. I can't handle the concept of illness, going from A to Z in a heartbeat. I don't like this about myself. I believe when I was little I wasn't ever comforted, but rather tricked into seeing the doctor, so I'm still running scared - but as a 50 year old woman! There's a visual image! Both my my and stepdad had the big C, and my grandma died from the pancreatic variety in 4 months. I'm sure this adds to my anxiety.

My ribs hurt. My back aches. My neck has a cold pack on it right now. And worst of all for me, I had my labs drawn again this morning, and I am panicky about the outcome. Craziness. I told my physical therapist just last night, my Christmas wish is for her to laugh at me about all of this, because she says my liver is *fine*. She has a doctorate in PT, so she's no dummy. Lord help me to let go...I hate the powerless part.

Congrats on your weight loss. That's a lot of weight! 2 big turkeys worth! I've lost 8 in the past 6 weeks or so, after having regained a 2/3 of what I lost. Ugh.

8. IngridsHOPE

IngridsHOPE New Member

Hey wrecko52,
    In my studies I am finding the connection with CFS/FM/MCS and other chronic diseases with the herbicide Round-up. Glyphosate is being used at an alarming rate. It is a Phosphite which is closely related to phosphate. Check out Dr. Mercola's interview with Dr. Huber about Monsanto's Round-up Ready Herbicide is More toxic That DDT.
    Dr. St. Amand of the Fibromyalgia Treatment Center in CA.(fibromyalgiatretment.com + author of the book 'What Your Doctor MAY Not Have Told You About Fibromyalgia'), Believes these Chronic illnesses are closely related and aggravated by a build up of phosphate in the system that the Kidneys can not adequately flush. And Consequently Low A.T.P. production.
    This theory makes sense to me, given that these illnesses are becoming epidemic. All GMOs and Non-Organic produce is high is phosphates. Not only that , but ALL plastics are strengthened with Cal-Phosphate!
    Dr. St. Amand also states that Salicylic Acid occupies the same receptors in the Kidneys needed to flush Phosphate out of the body.
    There is also a Great connection with our bodies inability to Methylate. Check out: Rich van Konynenburg's Theory about Methylation: http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_The_Methylation_Cycle
    I am starting a Blog called Ingrid's HOPE to help people learn about the supplements that have been helping me, my trials and errors, plus help people get Much Better Quality Nutritional Supplements at the least possible price.
    God bless You. Ingrid

9. ledev68

ledev68 New Member

A couple of months ago I had severe pain in my lower right stomach area. I had many tests done including blood tests and ultrasounds of just about every organ in my body. My doctor said it might be ovarian endometriosis, but after an interior ultrasound that was ruled out. When I found out that was not what it was I cried, because I just wanted an answer that would explain it. I was in the emergency room and they were convinced I was just there because I was drug seeking (sound familiar?) This went on daily for about two months, and one day it just went away, and hasn't happened since. There never was an explanation for it and probably never will be. Welcome to fms, my friend.