able to keep my sono appt

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, May 13, 2009.

1. loto

loto Member

Well, the inland hurricane hit here in my area (southern illinois) last friday and did major, widespread damage. luckily at my house it wasn't as bad as other places, and my power was restored that nite.
    i was actually at the doctor's office when it hit to get the second opinion on my lyme test, and of course, didn't get to finish my appt so now have to reschedule. it took a month and a half to get the appt in the first place! so frustrating, and this morning they finally have power, but computers are still down, so won't be able to reschedule till monday! UGH!!!!!!
    Good news is, i was able to keep my sonogram appt with my gyno yesterday, and found out i have a uterine fibroid the size of a baseball in my uterus. not good news, but at least i now know what's causing those problems. The gyno was in emergency surgery, so didn't get to sit down and talk to him face to face, but he did call me later to explain some things. i'm going to sit down with him next week to go over my options, but i've decided i'm going to have them just take out my uterus. I do not want to "live" with this problem if something can be done about it. I've decided that living with Fibro is bad enough. Since this problem is treatable, I'm going to go for it.
    My question to those out there: has anyone had the type of hysterectomy where they've just had their uterus removed, and have kept their ovaries???? I'm wondering about other people's experiences with this, and how long the recovery time was. I really don't want to have to miss a lot of work. Of course my job is a desk job, and i sit most of the time, so i'm hoping i'll be able to return to work as soon as possible. And, I plan to see if i can have the surgery around the 3rd week of June, when things at work will slow down a bit.
    So, any advice, experiences with this will be greatly appreciated! Oh, and I''m hoping my iron anemia will go away also after this baseball is removed from my body!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Hi Loto...I had my uterus and cervix and one of my ovaries removed. It was the best thing that I ever did. I still have pelvic pain though...either through adhesion's or FM.

The recovery was not too bad...I was up and walking the same day as surgery. However, the total recovery time for me was about 4 weeks. I also had a sit down job.

BTW....glad to know that you are ok:)

3. loto

loto Member

thanks for your response. I'm glad it helped you. I can't wait to get this thing out of me!
  4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i had a hystorectomy a year ago this month, they took everything but the kitchen sink! in my opinion(and its just Mine) if your ovaries are healthy...KEEP EM!! that whole instant menopause thing, plus a 5 hour surgery put me in bad shape, i was doing better. but not after all that

not only that, the mesh they used to hold up my bladder is now trying to exit my body( i wont tell ya where) seems that happens a lot!!

Just please do your Homework before you jump into a huge surgery, after i had my surgery, i got a booklet from a Hystorectomy website. it states in the booklet, that the surgery will make preexitsing stuff worse.... and thier not kidding!!

i wish i would have tried other stuff before i had it all removed, were all different tho. Like Deb, it may be the best thing you ever do.
    Good luck