Able & want to exercise a little- but need motivation? Try this.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PatPalmer, Apr 19, 2003.

1. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

I have always been lazy when it comes to exercise - bores me rigid. Walking the dog when alive was only weather permitting!!! Husband did the cold rainy days...

I have been feeling much better this last month and felt I wanted to exercise without having to jump around or jog.

So last week in a desperate bid to also try and lose some weight, I bought a Pedometor, it`s a small digital unit which you clip to the waistband and it records every step you take, giving total steps as a reading.

It`s a brillient way to gradually build up fitness, I have so far managed to improve on the previous days total steps.

I look utterly rediculous stepping on the spot at the kitchen sink and while ironing (making sure no one`s around) but it really has motivated me into being more active.
    Today I am running on the spot in short spurts, and have also slept sooooo much better all this week too.

I feel stiff on waking, but wears off after moving around.

Jelly`s post & replies on exercise and oxygen is an interesting theory, maybe a Pedometor could be a starting point for some? But a good thing to have anyway to measure your own activity levels.

I live in England and purchased from a program on TV called Diet Trials, so unfortunately I cannot guide you other than perhaps the internet to purchase one.

For normal people they suggest 10,000 steps daily. Sounds a lot but nice to know what to aim for...

Love Pat.
  2. averilpam

averilpam New Member

I live in an attic flat, up two flights of stairs (the top one is steep - oh hard work some days) and have a dog so I have no choice but to get some excercise each day. I'm on my feet all day at work which stiffens me up horrendously, so walking the dog when I get home, though I don't feel at all like it, does loosen my legs up again a bit.
    I also go to a gym. I try to go twice a week. (It's £20 a month - a good incentive to keep going!) Used to go three times but struggle now to manage half an hour once or twice. I'm sure it's worth it though.
    I guess it'd be interesting to know how far I walk each day. How much did it cost? I suppose sport shops or shops selling hiking stuff may sell them too.
    Pam
  3. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Felt worn out just reading your post!!!

The pedometor cost £6.99, so not expensive at all. Not much to it really so i`d consider anything more a rip off.

Love Pat.
  4. leokat

leokat New Member

I too live in the UK and also watched 'Diet Trials'. I was thinking of buying the pedometer and probably will now you've given it the thumbs up.

Yikes I've made the thread sound like an ad with my endorsement but its just a coincidence honestly.

What did you think of 'Diet Trials' btw?

leo.
  5. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi Pat, Thanks for sharing this. I have a pedometer stuck on a magnet to my refridgerator. NEVER occurred to me to actually USE the bloody thing! lol!

Thanks again,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace ALL Grievances
  6. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Thought it was brillient, some great characters.

The different diets work well if you happen to like the types of food allowed. Can`t believe the doctor lost weight on cheese!

I`m a healthy eating addict and suddenly gaining weight, so have to do something !!!

Love Pat.
  7. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Guess you know how many times you used the fridge then, that`s a good one to keep me out of it. Great idea...

Pat.
  8. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Just found out that 10,000 steps is equal to just over 5 miles.
    So a week of 70,000 steps will burn 2000 calories.

Given that 3,500 calories is a lb in weight, it`s gonna take some time to shift it!...

Pat.
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I considered getting a pedometer before~(did'nt yet acually buy one)I checked one out at walmart recently,$10....Maybe this is the boot in the as* I needed!!lol Good idea&suggestion! Thanks`
    Regards,
    Tracey
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have the same thing, but on my bike! Walking often messes up my feet (I have a lot of foot pain & tingling with fibro) but I've been getting out on my bike more regularly now. I have a little thing that measures my biking mileage----I agree it's nice to have a way to gauge how you are doing!

Another thing that's been helping me is this allergy rotation diet I've been on for about 5-6 weeks now. I've lost several pounds, for one thing, but the discipline it takes to stick with & plan this kind of diet is making me feel like I CAN do something like stick to an exercise program now-----whereas before I would've been lazier.

The nicer weather now helps, too!

Hugs,
    Pam