ABNORMAL EKG

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gflores383, Dec 22, 2002.

1. gflores383

gflores383 New Member

Anyone had an abnormal EKG and rapid heart beat? Going to have an echocardiogram on the 7th. Great blood pressure and low cholesterol.
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had an abnormal EKG only once, when I tried to withdraw from Xanax too fast. Are you taking any benzodiazepine drugs, by any chance?

I'm glad your BP and cholesterol are good, cause mine sure aren't!

Anyway, try not to worry too much as it may turn out to be nothing. Did the doctor happen to mention a murmur? Or did he say you have "click and murmur syndrome"? The reason I ask is because so many of us with FMS have an MVP (see below). You did not say if your dx is FMS or CFS or both.

A tip for your echocardiogram: docs often don't tell you this, but you should spare fluids for 12 hrs. before that test. That way, if you have any leaky heart valves, they will be more likely to show up. 75% of Fibro patients have mitral valve prolapse (MVP), for example, and it is often missed because the patient has been drinking tons of water. Go ahead and drink, but don't drink any more than you really need to during the 12 hrs. before the test.

Good luck and please let us know what they find.
    Klutzo
  3. gflores383

gflores383 New Member

Not on any drugs. He did hear a murmur but said it could be nothing but was really concerned over heart rate. I went to the doctor as a pre-surgical physical for dental surgery and was declined due to the heart rate and ekg. I'd finally worked up the nerve for the dental surgery. My heart rate has been higher since the CFS IN 98. But I get really nervous about going to doctors and then it really goes crazy. Tried explaining that to him.
  4. Jaysea

Jaysea New Member

Yes, I've had the rapid heart beat for yrs ( 90- 105 resting ). I had palpatations for a while too. Had your thyroid checked ? Hyperthyroidism can cause tachycardia. So far my EKGs have been normal. I had to wear a halter monitor for 24 hrs once to monitor my heart beat, nothing much showed up on that either. I have shortness of breath on exertion too. I'm due for another EKG soon. Could be just too much adrenalin.
  5. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

Hello there,
    Just had two in six months abnormal, had to have a stress
    test w/meds. couldn't do the tred mill. Haven't gotten the results yet. Medicine made me have a flare and have been down. They gave me an injection to speed the heart, one to slow it down. Then took pictures w/injection of radioactive isotopes. It is kinda scary, but ususlly I pray and let God
    handle the rest. Any way, I will pray for good results for
    you. LOL 1maqt
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi welcome to the board. I get palpations sometimes, but they are just from nervousness, if I go to a doctor, my heart is racing, even if I just check my own pressure in a store! I think the medical profession has a name for that.

I have Fibro, and now and then I will get that racing heart for no reason, I usually take a 0.25 milligram of Xanax and it slows it down to normal again.

Palpations do go with Fibro though. Last time my heart was checked, it was fine.

My husband has to take Xanax before a dental visit, this man has nothing wrong with him, its just a fear of the dentist. It was the dentists idea for him to take this before a visit to calm him down.

Hope you find what is really wrong soon, and hope we hear from you often. Do let us know how you make out too.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl