Abnormal hormones Endometrial stripe??? Abnormal menses

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hi all,

I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me understand this.

I am 33 y/o.

For the past year I've been having unusual periods - spotting mid month and stopping my period half way then starting again.

Recently I had a 6 week period. I felt really bloated and extremely fatigued.

I went to my gyne and they did an ultrasound. I have an ovarian cyst of 3.5 and an endometrial stripe of 6mm. Apparently that was cause for concern because they're having me come in again.

What does that mean? What is a normal endometrial stipe for a 33 y/o woman?

My hormone levels were off also. My FSH was 7 which I guess is low. My progesterone and testosterone were also low.

ANY input would be so appreciated.

Sofi
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Hoping someone will reply
  3. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

Sofi,

All I can tell you is that my hormone levels have been all over the place with my disease...I delivered my first baby at 31, and hormones were weird...Child number 2 was delivered at 37, and I actually had hot flashes after having him!

I remeber at about your age, a doc said I was peri menopausal...I fond that hard to belive, I was only 34...

Anyway, your thyroid could figure into it...what helped me was taking a naural progeterone in Vitamin e oil, and upping my thyroid.

I also was diagnosed with Endometriosis when I was 21!

So, hormones out of whack!

I wish you good health, and that you can get this figured out,

Suz
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

I was diagnosed with PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) many years ago. I've taken low dose oral contraceptives on and off since that diagnosis. Whatever else they do, they control my hormone levels. When I am off the meds, my fibro symptoms quickly increase and become unbearable. (I'm off them this week, and it has NOT been fun. I do need to take a week or so off from them every few months.)

I'm not saying you have PCOS, just that hormonal weirdness is fairly common for those of us with fibro.

I don't know the answers to your questions, but wanted to let you know you are not alone. I think that in fibro and CFS, our bodies are so out of balance in so many different systems that we get strange symptoms.

A suggestion... take a friend with you when you go back to the doctor. Two sets of ears and another person to remember what the doc says is very helpful. It's hard to remember the details when you are stressed.

Let us know what happens, ok?

Peace,
    Beth.
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Thank you for your comments. It does seem that everything is haywire in our bodies. I just ended an 8 week episode of cluster headaches and then the bleeding started.

It is very frusterating. I don't know what's connected and what isn't. Which symptoms do I tell the Dr and which ones are irrelevent.

My Neuro has me going to the GI, Gyne, Cardio, and endo. I almost don't even want to go anymore because it always takes months to find out nothing!

Interesting that you mentioned PCOS. My gyne mentioned it as well so there may be some validity to that. All I know is I'm glad I had my children young because my fertility doesn't look good right now.

I really don't understand the endometrial stripe issue. I don't know what normal is.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughtfulness and time.

Sofi
  6. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Sofi:

I am 44 and just had a total abdominal hysterectomy. I have always had strange periods...and was actually told I could not have any kids. I have a 7 year old daughter. About 2 years ago, I started bleeding for more than the few days that my normal abnormal periods had been. I had PCOS as a dx from years ago, as well as multiple ovarian cysts. So, I had an internal ultrasound. The lining of my uterus or endometrium, was very thick. My hormones were all over the chart as well. It took nearly a year of trying different meds to control the period better. I finally gave up and told my OB/GYN that I needed to have it stop. I was constantly anemic, and having really bad RA flares.

He wanted to do a D&C first. Nearly a year ago, he agreed to do the D&C. I had a tough year of complications due to RA and the meds. I finally had the D&C at the end of August. It came back with "complex hyperplasia atypica". He told me that meant that there was pre-cancer. It could develop into cancer, or it could stay as it was for year. Since I had been taking biologics (ENBREL and HUMIRA) for my RA, he recommended having the hysterectomy. I went for a second opinion and that Dr. thought it would be prudent to try medicine and have a new biopsy every 3 months. I thought that was not a good option, so I had the hysterectomy. Due to the biologics, I had to see a gyn-oncologist and he was going to be removing and testing my pelvic lymph nodes. Fortunately, there was no spread of the hyperplasia and they did not find any cancer.

I actually feel much better than I have in some time. I am hopeful that I will continue to feel better.

I guess what I am trying to tell you is that you should certainly have this checked out.

Oh, I believe that an endometrial stripe is a biopsy...they take a piece of your endometrium (lining of the uterus) and test it.

Good luck.

Ingrid