abnormal pap smears and CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brackinm, Apr 4, 2003.

1. brackinm

brackinm New Member

I was diagnosised with mono in Nov 2001. 10 days before I had a pap smear that came back abnormal. The Fatigue/mono lingered until May 2002. During that time I had several pap smears and a colposcopy all abnormal. The fatigue left in mid May until Late September 2002 and during that time I had a pap smear that came back normal. The Fatigue returned and so did 2 more adnormal pap smears. I have had about 8 good weeks in terms of fatigue and ....you guessed it the pap I had 2 weeks ago normal! Anyone else having this?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Had to have precancerous lesions removed following abnormal pap smears. I also just had precancerous polyps removed from my colon. Y'all, be sure to keep up you non-FMS/CFIDS screenings.

Love, Mikie
  3. lease79

lease79 New Member

Mine have always been normal, & I've had both cfs/fms for about 11 year now.

Lease
  4. OhioRN

OhioRN New Member

Hello,
    I also had abnormal paps, and had the "abnormal" cells removed only to find cervical cancer underneath. I've now had a hysterectomy, and luckily, the cancer was in situ and didn't spread. They told me I had HPV which is a virus that is spread thru sexual contact. Supposedly, it is very very common and many people don't know they have it. I had no symptoms. There are many strains of this virus and some can lead to precancerous cells on the cervix. This can then develop into cancer. I wonder if the HPV has anything to do with FMS??????? Anyone else??

OhioRN
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

I had the abmormal pap a few yrs ago.I had the coposcopy done,and the cryosurgery(freezing treatment)All my paps since have been normal~I did get paps done after the procedure every 4-6 months for a year~
    I also(just last year)had a polyp removed from my cervix.The polyp was found during an exam,but the pap at that time was also normal~?? I do make sure I get my exams done regularly!! Its amazing to me the number of woman who don't even get paps!!I say they're taking a big chance!!
    (a friend of mine has'nt had one since she gave birth 17 yrs ago!!)
  6. sp

sp New Member

I have cfids and fibro, along with a year of abnormal pap smears. They would come back with as either 'abnormal', or 'insufficient number of cells'. (I am 33)

Along with that, I bled very slightly after intercourse (those few times I actually did get to enjoy sex).....

Anyway, the gyno tested me for human papilloma virus. HPV. I would URGE ALL WOMEN to get tested for this ASAP, if your pap comes back abnormal. HPV can lead to cervical cancer and needs to be watched. I thought it could never happen to me. I had never heard of it. More education on this needs to be delivered to young people.

So now I've had HPV for who knows how long. Because our immmune systems are comprimised, it is not likely my body will get rid of it itself. So I had what's called a LEEP done, where the surface layers and warts are burned off and destroyed.

This is not a fun thing, but please do get checked for HPV!!
  7. babyblues68

babyblues68 New Member

I have HPV. My mother died from ovarian cancer. Before she had that she had cervical cancer. It is true HPV can lead to cervical cancer and spread so on and so on. I've been getting paps quarterly for the past 2 years. My doctor just scheduled me back to twice a year.

With HPV you can have warts and they can be removed. In my case I have no physical signs of HPV. So as said in post before a lot of people have this and don't even know it. Also, men can have HPV too. So any of you out there with it who have a husband or signaficant other tell them to get tested too. Ater all it is a STD.

Tammy