abnormal rdw blood result

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jess, Aug 26, 2005.

1. jess

jess New Member

Does anyone have this? The rdw is part of the cbc blood test. It signifies the size of the red cells. My doctor said mine is 3 points higher then normal. He says it means I'm sick. Duh! Anyhow, I was wondering if this ties in with hypercoagulation or just the size of the cells. Thanks for any info, it is much appreciated. Jess
  2. badluck

badluck New Member

but bumping so others can help you.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

Dr Les Simpson in Australia has done some work on the irregularities in red blood cells and problems with blood flow, progress in his work is in the Co-cure archives at http://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0406C&L=CO-CURE&P=R381&I=-3

I have had several RBC measurements flagged on blood count tests, and a report stating anisocytosis etc but to a lesser degree these days. I too was told this meant I was sick; like you I did not need telling. It was a doctor who practiced integrative medicine who picked these up and saw them as relevant. RBC changes are sometimes used as a marker for oxidative stress. I had two anaemias due to low iron and folic acid, tests showing changes in my RBC including RDW helped to identify the possibility of gluten intolerance which is one of the causes of these anaemias.

Hypercoagulation was a problem for me, less so since progressing on my protocol which includes enzymes to break down fibrin and to lower inflammation/overactive immune response. Not sure of the link of hypercoagulation with RBC other than they can both affect blood flow, O2 and essential nutrients getting to the cells, so it may well be each is making the effects of the other worse.

Hopefully someone who has looked into this further than I have, will come up with any links I have not seen yet or remembered.

Love, Tansy

PS from the lab tests on line web site -

"Red cell distribution width (RDW) is a calculation of the variation in the size of your RBCs. In some anemias, such as pernicious anemia, the amount of variation (anisocytosis) in RBC size (along with variation in shape – poikilocytosis) causes an increase in the RDW"[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2005]
  4. jess

jess New Member

Tansy, thank you so much for that informative info and the web site. A bell went off in my head about anemia, especially since my hemoglobin levels have dropped. I am now at low normal. Hope you are feeling pretty good. Thanks again, Jess