About distilled water versus other types of water for drinking.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Oct 10, 2005.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I've been reading too many posts that give the wrong information regarding the use of distilled water, and I'd like to correct any misconceptions that people have. For those interested, please read. I'm posting information that I previously posted on another thread as I feel that it is very important. In addition, at the end of the post, I am posting information from a magazine specifically for diabetics regarding the use of distill water.

From what I've found, there is commercial bias from studies that indicate that distilled water is not good for you, and that a person should use other types of bottled water so that they have the minerals contained in "natural" water. The truth is that distilled water is the best choice for drinking. Nature use to provide pure, distilled drinking water in the form of rainwater and melted snow, sleet, hail, etc. However, with industrial pollution, most rain is polluted due to its passage through a polluted atmosphere between the time it condenses in a rain cloud and the time it strikes the earth. Therefore, "atmospherically derived" water is no longer a viable source of pure water. The only distilled water left is steam-distilled water.

What about all the missing minerals in distilled water? All minerals contained in water are inorganic and are expelled by the body with great difficulty, if at all. Expensive mineral water has minerals, which are more often detrimental to health than beneficial. The result is calcium deposits, stones in the bladder, gall bladder and kidneys, and buildup in other organs vessels.

Drinking distilled water will in NO WAY be detrimental to anyone's health! In addition, removing all of the organic chemicals (minerals) will make water tasteless, therefore making food (distilled water in preparation) and drinks taste better. It's especially important to make distilled ice cubes to use in drinks. With all of this in mind, please remember that the very best type of water comes in our "fresh" veggies. Our veggies drink up and then give us the best water of all as their byproduct!

Here is something that I found from the EPA that may answer questions that you have as well:

"Bottled water is not necessarily any safer than your local drinking water. EPA regulates public water systems to ensure that they are in compliance with national standards; bottled water is regulated by the Food and Drug Administration as a food product. Both agencies use equivalent health standards to ensure safety. For information concerning bottled water, you can contact the FDA at 1-888-463-6332 In addition; the International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) may also be helpful. They can be reached at 1-800-928-3711.

If you want the safest water possible, then boil your water for one minute, whether it is tap water or bottled water. NSF International, an independent non-profit organization, certifies some brands of bottled drinking water. To find out which brands it certifies, call NSF at 1-877-8-NSF-HELP (1-877-867-3435).

EPA does not regulate distilled water. It is regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a food product. For more information call FDA (800-532-4440), NSF International 1-877-8-NSF-HELP (1-877-867-3435), or your local physician."

From the "Diabetes Health Magazine" online

Guest Columnist: "Water- What You Drink Can Change Your Life", Peter Lodewick MD; September 1995

As a doctor living with diabetes for more than 25 years and caring for more than 8000 people with diabetes, I know that diabetes can, though does not need to, cause accelerated aging of the vascular and nervous systems. Eating the best foods, including plenty of fresh raw vegetables and fruits, taking vitamins and anti-oxidants, controlling blood sugars, blood pressure and cholesterol are all crucially important in keeping healthy with diabetes. But there has been one element left overlooked by most people: water.

Essential Substance Polluted

Why is water so important? Since the body is 65-70% water in composition, this substance is vital to our health. Without water, death occurs in two to three days. Unfortunately, as the Sierra Club has pointed out, just because water is crystal-clear does not mean that it is safe. Ground water acts as a big sponge, holding toxic, often invisible substances, and dumping them into our drinking water. Rain water is not entirely free of "impurities" either. As it passes through polluted air, it collects a considerable amount of dust, bacteria and chemicals, resulting in environmentally hazardous "acid rain." This rainwater, in turn, can taint lakes, springs, and streams.

Most of our water comes from public water systems or private wells and both are treated with chemicals to control the level of contamination. However, toxins still exist along with the added chemicals.

Even the much-touted mineral waters may contain minerals, metals and other inorganic compounds that the body can't use, which may actually harm consumers, especially those with diabetes.

Although our bodies need a certain amount of these minerals, they should come from food, not water. Water with high-minerals can cause calcium and other mineral deposits in heart chambers, valves and arteries, promoting arteriosclerosis or "hardening of the arteries." Left untreated, arteriosclerosis can lead to heart attack or stroke. When affecting the arteries in the legs, it can cause pain and eventual limb loss due to reduced oxygen supply.

Furthermore, many water supplies contain a number of chemicals that are either added to the water (like chlorine to kill germs or fluoride to prevent tooth decay) or that flow into water supplies (these may be inorganics like lithium, arsenic, radium or cobalt.) If you don't regularly drink water, think about the water used in other potables such as soda, beer, and powdered athletic drinks, which many people consume in large quantities.

Tainted Tap Water

Other dangers lurk in city water supplies. Despite their state-of-the-art water-filtering facility, 19 people died last year in Las Vegas after being exposed to a parasite in the city's tap water. The micro-organism, cryptosporidium, is known to be practically impervious to even the most advanced filtration methods. As a result, this June Federal officials encouraged people with weakened immune systems to boil their drinking water.

Tap water in the midwest has also been targeted as particularly prone to dangerous levels of herbicide. In August, 1995, in Danville, Ill., levels of the weed-killer cyanazine in one water sample were found to be 34 greater than the federal standard. A glass of drinking water tested in Fort Wayne, Ind., contained nine different herbicides.

In Gideon, Mo., it was reported that half the population became ill with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea in 1992. Upon investigation, the Missouri State Health Department found that the illnesses were most likely caused by salmonella, a major bacteria causing severe illness in the stomach and bowels.

On National Public Radio on January 13, 1994, Morning Edition host Bob Edwards highlighted some of the United States' problems associated with water contamination. In 1993, Washington D.C. residents were advised to drink bottled or boiled water because of contamination. Also in 1993, a protozoan parasite in Milwaukee's drinking water made 400,000 people ill and lead to over 100 deaths. In the same Morning Edition report, it was revealed that public health officials had discovered a high level of an industrial chemical called tetrachloroethylene in a handful of towns in the Cape Cod resort area. This chemical has been found in many water supplies around the U.S. In Cape Cod; it apparently leaked from the water pipes themselves.

Public Drinking Water Linked to Cancer

David Ozonoff, Chairman of the Environmental Health Department at Boston University, stated, "Populations exposed to (tetrachloroethylene) were found to have as much as eight to nine times the risk of leukemia." Ozonoff went on to say, "I think the problem today is that turning on your tap water is an act of faith, and I am not sure this act of faith is particularly well-placed."

Mr. Daniel Zwerdling of Morning Edition indicated that the greatest hazards to public drinking water may come from industrial pollution more than from bacteria. Chlorine added to water kills bacteria, but also interacts with materials in water to form chlorinated by-products, which are widely believed to contribute to rectal and bladder cancer. Mr. Zwerdling also spoke with James Elder, Chief of the Drinking Water Division of the Environmental Protection Agency. Mr. Elder was surprised by the number of problems that seem to occur in water supplies, and indicated that he would not take the safety of public drinking water for granted. Very little testing is done today, despite regulations of the Clean Water Act. Compliance with the act would require most communities to revamp antiquated, pre-World War I systems and use very expensive new technologies.

What's Pure? Distilled Water

So is there water that is pure and safe?

Distilled water, which is virtually free of minerals, chemicals and biological contaminants. Distilled water is made pure by first being heated to the point of vaporization, leaving almost all impurities behind. Then the water is condensed in a large storage reservoir. This process, which duplicates Nature's Hydrologic Cycle, results in water in its purest form. Distillation is the single most-effective method of water purification and can now be done at home with an appliance that uses rainwater.

In addition to these benefits, distilled water is an excellent solvent. This makes it theoretically capable of dissolving mineral deposits accumulated on artery walls. It may also dissolve the mineral deposits that often in tissues as one gets older, possibly reversing arthritis in joints which are caused by these minerals. For those with diabetes, distilled water may help ward off the accelerated aging affects of the disease, and the early onset of age-related problems such as nervous system, joint and vascular disorders.

People with diabetes have enough problems trying to stay healthy with proper medication, diet and other therapies. Water should be life-giving, not another problem."
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Bumping for others
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

This article is taken from Dr. Mercola's website, and was written by Chet Day. While I don't always agree with Chet Day, I do agree with this article. I believe distilled water should only be used short term for detox purposes, and for prolonging the life of my iron and CPAP. Happy reading.

Why I Now Say No to Distilled Water Only

By Chet Day
    Reprinted from Chet Day's Health and Beyond Weekly Newsletter

Paul Bragg. Norman Walker. Herbert Shelton.

I bet you recognize the names of the above three "big gun writers" of the modern natural health and raw food movement. Each of these men advocated a predominantly uncooked vegetarian diet (though Walker allowed cheese and Bragg allowed occasional meat or fish), and each also advocated distilled water as the only kind of water to drink.

It's amazing to me how blindly most health seekers follow the advice of the above three gurus as well as the advice of modern health writers who use Bragg, Walker, and Shelton as their main sources of truth.

Indeed, if you spend more than about ten minutes reading many modern natural health writers, you'll quickly learn that all serious health seekers should shun any kind of water other than distilled water. Why? Because Paul Bragg, Norman Walker, and Herbert Shelton said so.

Well, I bought into this commonly-accepted "truth" back in 1993 when I started my health journey, and I continued to buy into it for more than five years before I started to question its validity. I started to question the value of drinking distilled water for the long-term when I finally opened my eyes enough to realize I was relying on information that was, in most cases, more than 50 years old.

Let me say here that I still consider distilled water the water of choice when detoxing or working to heal a serious health challenge. To quote Dr. Zoltan Rona, who feels the same way:

"Distillation is the process in which water is boiled, evaporated and the vapour condensed. Distilled water is free of dissolved minerals and, because of this, has the special property of being able to actively absorb toxic substances from the body and eliminate them. Studies validate the benefits of drinking distilled water when one is seeking to cleanse or detoxify the system for short periods of time (a few weeks at a time). Fasting using distilled water can be dangerous because of the rapid loss of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride) and trace minerals like magnesium, deficiencies of which can cause heart beat irregularities and high blood pressure. Cooking foods in distilled water pulls the minerals out of them and lowers their nutrient value."

Click Here for Dr. Zoltan Rona's Full Article

I opened my eyes because about two years ago I started hearing from long-term distilled water drinkers who had been consuming only distilled water and who had developed troubles with their hair either thinning or falling out in clumps. I've subsequently learned that hair loss is a condition often associated with various mineral deficiencies.

Since I'd been advised by a serious natural health student whose opinions I value very much that distilled water might well contribute to such problems, I started telling people with hair problems that they might try going back to filtered water or bottled water to see if doing so wouldn't help resolve the symptoms. Interestingly enough, many reported that their hair loss problems improved when they stopped drinking distilled water.

Digging deeper, I started reading more carefully the advice of natural health experts who weren't necessarily coming out of the raw food and Natural Hygiene schools of health, and I couldn't find a single one of them who recommended distilled water as the water of choice.

Yes, all of these experts advocated drinking lots of water -- at least eight full glasses of water every day -- and all of them said a good filtered or bottled water was just fine. For example, I know Lorraine Day, MD, (no relation) doesn't advocate distilled water and neither does the Iranian medical doctor F. Batmanghelidj, who wrote what I consider the bible on water, "Your Body's Many Cries for Water."

Dr. Gabriel Cousens, a living foods advocate who writes on page 509 of his book "Conscious Eating," "distilled water is dead, unstructured water so foreign to the body that one actually gets a temporary high white blood cell count in response to drinking it."

Additionally, my understanding of medical doctor Zoltan Rona's article is that long-term distilled water consumption may well contribute to high blood pressure and other cardiovascular problems. Dr. Rona writes, "The longer one drinks distilled water, the more likely the development of mineral deficiencies and an acid state. I have done well over 3000 mineral evaluations using a combination of blood, urine, and hair tests in my practice. Almost without exception, people who consume distilled water exclusively, eventually develop multiple mineral deficiencies."

Given what these health-oriented MDs have concluded about distilled water, doesn't it make sense to further research the topic rather than relying on opinions formed more than 50 years ago?

If you prefer to ignore what these health-oriented medical doctors have discovered in their active practices, then let's take a look at the brutally deceptive "organic and inorganic mineral" argument that so many natural health writers use to justify distilled water drinking. (They also mistakenly use the same argument to erroneously conclude that all supplements and all cooked foods are bad.)

Unfortunately, their oversimplification of the organic and inorganic mineral theory and, indeed, their general lack of understanding about college level chemistry and physical laws, calls into deep question the validity of many of their conclusions about health and diet.

The health writers who like distilled water better than a ripe nectarine usually write a lot about the Hunzans, the folks in Pakistan's Hunza Valley who allegedly live healthfully well into their 90's and beyond. Interestingly enough, these same writers don't mention the point that the Hunzans drink a glacial water so full of minerals it's almost milky in appearance.

If you'd like up-to-date facts about organic and inorganic minerals instead of over-simplifications and erroneous conclusions, visit:

Another point involves alkalinity and acidity. Natural health writers generally agree that the body maintains best health when it maintains a ph leaning to the alkaline side rather than the acidic side, and yet distilled water quickly turns highly acidic, about 5.8 in an open air container.

Does it still make sense to you to drink eight glasses a day of distilled water that can potentially help to over-acidify the body?

I'd been putting off writing this article for over a year because I didn't feel that I had all the facts. I still feel the same way, but I also feel confident enough with what I have learned to present my current viewpoint to help others make a more informed decision before investing a lot of money in an expensive distiller that may well contribute to health problems in the long run.

You will note, of course, that the most vociferous advocates of distilled water are also those who sell high-profit margin distillers. They are also the ones who continue to quote Paul Bragg and Norman Walker as the sources of their extensive research.

In closing, I do know tap water isn't good because of all the chemicals and pollutants and Lord knows what else in it, but I don't have all the answers as to the best water for human health, so please don't consider this article definitive.

I trust this article raises some questions in your mind that you can now research in more detail on your own so you can then come to an informed conclusion about what type of water is best for you and your family. I opened my eyes because about two years ago I started hearing from long-term distilled water drinkers who had been consuming only distilled water and who had developed troubles with their hair either thinning or falling out in clumps. I've subsequently learned that hair loss is a condition often associated with various mineral deficiencies.

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

Chet Day does an excellent job of addressing this issue that many natural medicine clinicians and far more clients are seriously confused about. Distilled water is NOT good for you and should be avoided. It is amazing how the myth of earlier health promoters can persist for generations without serious reanalysis of the truth of what they said. I still have been unable to locate more "scientific" proof which discusses the reasons for avoiding distilled water based on the physics of what happens in distillation When I locate it I will post it.

I would STRONGLY recommend purchasing "Your Body's Many Cries For Water". It is the best book I know of that documents the usefulness of water. Dr. Batmanghelidj is a physician and does an excellent job. If you are a health care professional this book should be in your library.

Your Body's Many Cries for Water

4. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I recently started drinking distilled water (that I boil in a teapot at home) so that I could have some hot water to drink. I find that hot (cooled enough for drinking) really helps my "system" functions.

I take a liquid mineral supplement and also eat mainly organic produce (theoretically comes from rich, healthy soil and therefore contains more minerals), so I have not experienced hair loss. In fact, my hair is very thick.

I think that both sides of the coin have valid points. If you are not taking well-rounded mineral supplements, it sounds like distilled water might be a bad choice.

Personally, I got tired of refilling my Brita and buying the expensive filters. Boiling water in a teapot has been much easier. There are a lot of farms in my area, and I do worry about pesticides in our water, but in the end, the water is still testing okay enough for human consumption.

However, I can see the other side of the coin too :).
  5. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

And it leaves all sediment behind...

I believe that (besides now being loaded with airborne toxins these days) what collected rain has that distilled water lacks is that first of all, it is a result of the earth's natural evaporative processes. Secondly, there is the purification process that takes place in the condensation process in the upper atmosphere. Perhaps sediment-filtered ozonated water would be best?

Who knows? Maybe it is just a personal choice- depending on your location, environment, diet, etc.

Bottoms Up, either way!
  6. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

reverse osmosis filter. Just bottled water doesn't get it. You need water that has the chlorine, arsenic, etc. filtered out. I've read that we should have the filter on our shower too since our skin is the biggest organ.

LEFTYGG Member

iwas helping my mom lose weight.i put her on no sugar no fats and distilled water.she lost a lot of weight.

im a hairstylist i start to give her a perm and its so hard to wrap on rods hairs sticking out all over. not good.

im saytng what the heck is wrong here she says i just thought you were doing a bad job. lol
    gee thanks.

then it dawns on me her hair is braking off due to diet. she wasnt getting minerals and fat.