? about glutenfree food

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BabiCati, Apr 22, 2006.

1. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

OK, so I went to Whole Foods today and say several gluten-free products, bread, cookies, etc. They are all frozen. How do you eat them? There are no directions on the packages. Leave them out to defrost, the amount you want to eat or put them in the fridge?

Any help with this will be appreciated.

Lourdes
  2. heathnicole

heathnicole New Member

What foods specifially did you buy?
    Millet bread is gluten free bread but it is fresh - not frozen
    what foods were they?
    heather
  3. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

Ezeckiel bread, a Whole Foods brand (cookies), and food for life...
  4. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I keep them in the fridge ( cookies too:) they don't have preservatives so they spoil if left out.

The bread will defrost in the fridge, then toast it.

cookies and such can be left out to room temp, before you eat them, keeping un-used in fridge.:)

claudia
  5. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

Claudia. About how long do they last in the fridge?
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

About 1 wk. sometimes a bit longer, it depend's how fresh it is when you buy it.

Check it for mold first, I bought one at my local grocery and it had mold.;(

Claudia
  7. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

It was frozen and it had mold. How unpleasant!
  8. millennia

millennia New Member

I don't know where you live, but on the off chance that you live in NYC, there is the most amazing gluten free restaurant here. I don't have a problem with gluten and it is my favorite place to eat. It is called risotteria and it's on Bleeker between 6th and 7th.
  9. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

but it's good to know. I'll make a note of it for the next time I am in NYC. Leave it to NYC to have a gluten-free restaurant.

Thanks,

Lourdes
  10. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

Hoping for answer from Claudia
  11. mary124

mary124 New Member

Great information on how long to keep these foods, and I also went this weekend to the Whole Foods. (I myself have just been dx with Celiac, and I didn't know). Thanks. Mary
  12. starmom

starmom New Member

I have a book called Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus by Carol Fenster, PhD

We tried them for our youngest when one allergy test showed wheat allergy and one showed no wheat allergy. After several months on the diet, no one in the house shwoed any improvement (I made us ALL do it!).

The book has some great recipes and ways to set up your pantry. You might want to look for it at hte bookstore, amazon, ebay, or the health food store.

Susie