? About going to SSD for the first time

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mfigue, Nov 8, 2002.

1. mfigue

mfigue New Member

My question is, should I bring a statement from one of my Dr's or should I just go and let SSD request my Medical Records directly? Also, I have been going to Emergency Rooms and Clinics for over a year, but have just been DX about two months ago. Should I wait the six months after I was DX with FM or can I use the year of pain and suffering? Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks,
    MLF
  2. mfigue

mfigue New Member

My question is, should I bring a statement from one of my Dr's or should I just go and let SSD request my Medical Records directly? Also, I have been going to Emergency Rooms and Clinics for over a year, but have just been DX about two months ago. Should I wait the six months after I was DX with FM or can I use the year of pain and suffering? Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks,
    MLF
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

then you don't need that stuff - the person you talk to just takes basic information & afterwards they give you the papers they need filled out (including your list of docs. so they can send for info.)You just go to the office & give them basic info (name,age,reason for disability, ect) Why don't you call the office before you go & tell them you're coming down to apply for disability & what should you bring(besides your birth certificate & ss card)Amy Oh, the 2nd part - were you diagnosed by a doc that knew you were suffering for years? If you have enough documentation then I say apply now to get the long process going.Just make sure you have the names, dates etc. of each time you went to the er & clinics
    Also - I was just thinking about it - the 6 month thing is how long you were suffering until a doc can diagnose you - if you have a diagnosis then you should be all set.[This Message was Edited on 11/08/2002]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

SS asks you on your forms which docs you have seen. List all of them whom you have seen for your symptoms. They will request your records from your docs. Your attorney will also ask for your records or have you ask for them. From now on, keep a log of which docs you see, the treatment received, and any Rx written.

Your attorney, if he or she is a good one, will probably want you to see certain docs who know how to chart in order to show your disability. Good luck. P.S., according to the resident atty. who posts articles here to our library, the chances of getting SSD go up dramatically if the patient is depressed and is taking a narcotic drug for pain (sorry, Madwolf, the term, narcotic, is his, not mine).

Love, Mikie