about Gupta, Mikel, Lightening etc (rant)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmama2, Mar 9, 2009.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

all these ""drs"" claim to have found the cause, and effective treatment for CFS/ME, and therefore they would be in a position to help the millions of people worldwide whos lives have been RUINED by cfs. they theorize that the problem is in the brain (simplified version - without all the fancy psuedo scientific psychobabble) and can be cured/reversed by CBT/talk therapy/retraining the brain. well this type of therapy could EASILY be published on the internet or in a book. these "drs" could charge $30. bucks for the book or website access and still become millionaires. (remember the US alone has 1 to 4 million cfs sufferers, and there are millions more all over the globe.)

but nooooooo, instead of helping suffering people in an affordable way, these folks only allow you to get treatment with expensive in person therapy, or over the phone coaching, or with dvds that cost $200. or so.

seriously how hard is it to publish a book that basically says - think like this " i am calm, i am healthy, i am able to do things like a normal healthy person.... i feel good" blah blah blah and yadda yadda yadda.

so A- i think the theory is total bs
    and B - it is even more bs how much they charge
    and C- to give false hope and try to get rich off desperate sick people is truly vile

thanks for letting me vent
    bigmama2

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

There is no amount of right thinking on this planet that will fix the level of pain and stiffness I suffer from. And the audio processing disorder, and the short term memory loss and the light and sound sensitivity. And how about the weakening of the left ventricle of my heart, the Hashimoto's, and the GERD/Acid Reflux and the NMH/POTS with severe drops in blood pressure.

Why don't they tell people they can cure cancer, AIDS, genetic disorders, and everything else with right thinking?

It's all garbage. They just want to make money off this disease.
  3. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I agree with you TeaBisqit. No amount of "correct thinking" or cognitive therapy is going to fix this. I HAVE TRIED IT ON MY OWN and yes, maybe it works for a day or so, but I'm right back to where I started.
  4. znewby

znewby Member

we bought the gupta tape and never really could get into it. They pump up these products on web sites - it's all about the money.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This type of thinking is setting progress made with our DD back thirty years when ulcers were thought to be caused by stress and MS was "hysterical paralysis".

If anyone who is involved in research or in the medical field, were to read these posts they could very easily dismiss our DD.

Need pain medication from a doctor? No scripts for you when you can just think your way out of your pain.

Need more money for studies? Nope, just go to a psychiatrist or therapist.

I find this very distressing.

Thank you KJM, Bigmama2 and all the other people responding to this post.

gap
    [This Message was Edited on 03/10/2009]
  6. luckyman

luckyman New Member

Check out his video on u tube. It is so bizarre, as well as obvious that this therapy is a total scam. At first I became angry, then my anger subsided, and I ended up laughing, as this has to be the least convincing and most unprofessional video I've ever seen on CFS/Fibro. What a stooge! He really makes a total fool of himself! You need to see it before someone removes the video.

On another note, before he exposed himself in this video the shred of credibility he once had, he misused, and took money from some very sick people. Now he has set up a multilevel marketing scheme that preys on those least able to fend for themselves, physically and often monetarily. Truely sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoSFJ5Wxsuw[This Message was Edited on 03/11/2009]
  7. luckyman

luckyman New Member

I'd love to hear other people's reation to this video. Please watch at least half of it to get the full flavor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoSFJ5Wxsuw
  8. vivian53

vivian53 Member

I watched most of it too. Kina, I think you summed it up. It would be great if we were all emotionally healthy and we can strive for that just like everyone else.......but we would still suffer from our DD. Maybe we would just feel better about having it. :)

vivan
    [This Message was Edited on 03/11/2009]
  9. luckyman

luckyman New Member

Just thought others should see the video and see for themselves. I don't know how anyone could take him seriously after viewing at least half of the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoSFJ5Wxsuw
  10. alangan1

alangan1 New Member

SOME PEOPLE, APPARETLY YOU BEING ONE OF THEM, MAY STILL BELIEVE ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD. hONESTLY, IF YOU THINK IT'S A MATTER OF THINKING RIGHT, THEN YOU MUST NOT THINK IT IS PSYSIOLOGICAL IN ORIGIN. THAT BOTHERS ME? YOU CANT SQUARE AWAY IMMUNE SYSSTEM PROBLEMS, AND NASTY VIRUES ATTACKING YOU BY A DVD TELLING YOU HOW TO THINK. SORRY, BUT YOU ARE BEING A SUCKER IF YOU THINK THAT, AND THAT IS WHY ITS SUCH PRIVILEDGED INFO FYI, ITS BOGUS. SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE YOU ARE JUST VENTING AND DO ACTUALLY KNOW THIS IS ANOTHER 'YADDA YADDA"
  11. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Bigmama, Hi All,

I went back and found a post I made on Dr. Mikel and his therapy back in 2007. It appears we're pretty much on the same page with this guy. :)

Wayne

P.S. The video I refer to in my post is different than the video that is being discussed here. The two appear to show an inconsistency.

First posted on 12-30-07

Hi All,

Watching this video was somewhat of a stunning experience for me in a number of ways. First, I was taken off guard to find out it was by David Mickel, founder of Mickel Therapy. Within seconds of watching and listening to him, I experienced an immediate discomfort with him.

But I decided to watch the ten-minute video just to find out more about him and his therapy, since it comes up often on this message board. Besides continuing to experience a visceral discomfort with him (bordering on dislike) as I watched the video, I found it even more disconcerting to listen to him as he purported to know the underlying cause of CFS/ME/FM (hypothalamitis).

His take seems to be that all of what we experience with these illnesses starts with this hypothalamitis. He specifically discounts any kind of viral causative factor, saying instead that susceptibility to any virus starts with the hypothalamitis. He also seems to discount any other causative factor. I couldn’t disagree with him more on all these counts.

For somebody claiming to know so much about these illnesses, I felt he showed an almost dangerous lack of knowledge of so much of the physiology behind them. I could only conclude that he either doesn’t know much about the physiology of these illnesses, or chose to not elaborate. Whatever the case, it sure seemed to me that he way to quickly tried to steer listeners to his Mickel therapy.

I still feel pretty stunned by my visceral reaction to watching this video, as I usually keep a pretty even keel about these things. I guess I’ll chalk this experience up to learning just a bit more about this world of CFS/ME/FM and the many different kinds of people that inhabit it. I could easily be a bit more critical, but won’t say anymore out of respect for some readers who say they have found some success with this therapy.

Regards, Wayne[This Message was Edited on 03/11/2009]
  12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

The Lightning Process costs about UK£700 and you have to sign up that you will not talk to anyone about it.

It has made members of my ME/CFS group very ill, who have then been told that they were doing it incorrectly! It is marketed very much like a pyramid selling scheme.

13. vivian53

vivian53 Member

Those of us who spent may years in school to become licensed by our state boards REALLY resent other who are unlicensed quacks calling themselves "therapists". In Texas it's not only awful but unlawful. I venture it is the same elsewhere.Turn these folks into your states licensing boards (for Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Social Workers or Counselors) and they will take action that will prevent charlatans like these from using the incorrect and misleading title of "therapists."

vivian