?? about leg pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ~Cel~, Jul 7, 2003.

1. ~Cel~

~Cel~ New Member

Hi everyone,

Since I got dx in May, my biggest problem has been my legs. Saturday, we wanted to enjoy the nice summer weather and went out to the Old Port of Montreal for a walk. Within 30 minutes, my legs began to stiffen up and feel very heavy and tired. It's been this way since this whole thing started and I've been wondering if this is really FM or could it be something else? I'm going away on vacation and am going to have to bring a wheelchair because I know there's just no way I can walk around all day. I see the rheumatologist again only in September, should I try pushing for a sonner appt (if possible) or is this simply par for the FM course?

Thanks for any input. I hope you are all having as good a day as possible!

Celine
  2. Sekoya

Sekoya New Member

I have leg pain when walking too. I can't do stairs anymore and every day is a struggle.

Haven't had much luck with my rheumatologist ... or any doc for that matter.

Good Luck.
  3. mrcpvls

mrcpvls New Member

I was just recently diagnosed by a rheumatologist. My lower calves, tendons and feet get so stiff that I can hardly walk. Once I get going, it goes away. It really concerned me that I had something else until I read this board and saw that others have it too. Do whatever you need too. MP
  4. ~Cel~

~Cel~ New Member

What's annoying is that it's not always there, the pain I mean. Going to work (I'm back at it part-time) has been okay so far, but going out specifically for walking doesn't work at all, especially with the hot and humid weather we've been having. Sometimes my legs feel very heavy and weak, other times the tendons in my knees feel like they're pulled tight and I can't bend my knee. Strange and very frustrating. But it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this!

Thank you!

Celine
  5. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

Neurontin. I was scared of this med, but I was in such pain in my legs I gave it a try. I only take 300mg at nite, and it got rid of the leg pain and tiredness immediately. See if your Doc will let you try it. Side effects were nausea at first but that went away in a day or two, just ate crackers . feel better soon, Love Iggy
  6. suz41

suz41 New Member

Celine:

I too experience leg pain, usually after over exerting or if I'm standing for long periods of time. I have notice that gentle streching before I go out walking usually 30 minutes a day helps. I don't know if you are any Vitamins, Supplements or meds, however I have noticed that since I incresed my B vitamins and added Magnesium and VitaminE as well as Glucosamine I have had less achiness in the legs in general. I still have the "tender points" that flare but the achiness has decreased. If possible see if you can bump up your rheumy appt, however if not check with your physician about Vitamins and supplements. My internis gave me the go ahead to add these to my daily intake. Howver if you do, go slow add one per week to see if you have any problems. Let us know how you make out. Also try a hot bath with lavender it may help relax your muscles as well.

LOL
    Suzanne
  7. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I have terrible leg pain. I can't stand or walk for more than 5 minutes at a time. I'm getting so sick and tired of this. I wonder every single day if there is something more wrong with me. This is very depressing and scary.
  8. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

walking? what's that? LOL took my dog down the road a couple weeks ago and couldn't walk for days....and grocery shopping...after about 20 mins i'm done for.
    then there's the sciatica thing....:)
    alice
  9. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Celine,
    Yes, my legs give me fits also. I use Chinese Accupuncture when it gets really bad and that helps me alot. The leg tiredness is so common with Fibro. I also get the swelling from walking for long periods and stairs are the worst. Rest as often as possible and elevate them at night if you are able. Ibuprophen is also helpful. Good luck hope this is of some help.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  10. fullarmor

fullarmor New Member

Hello! My legs are in constant pain. I find that some stretching exercises and walking in the morning helps my legs. At first I could only walk 5 minutes at a time, but I'm up to about 15 now. It seems like it loosens up my legs, and after the walk i do some gentle stretches. It feels so good! I also use Salonpas, these ben-gay sort of patches that stick to you skin, and I frequently have those on my calves and/or thighs. What a laugh i have at myself when i change into shorts and forget they are there, and go to the store. oops!!! :) good luck!