Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Nov 21, 2008.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Recently I posted about pain meds and where do we draw the line as far as our bodies getting accustomed to each medication we take...

Right after I made that post I went to see my dr...and I was quite pleased to his opinion of this same question that I asked him....

He says that when our bodies adjust to a medication and or it is not working as effectively then we need to "CHANGE THINGS AROUND"!!!!!!!!and that it is NOT always a matter of stepping up to a more potent medication...in fact he says he has patients that have been on the same strength of fentanyl patch for ten years without any increases

I have to say that I took vicodin for almost 4 years without any increases at all.....but in my fifth year I began to have a lot more health problems in ex: herniated disks and cervical stenosis that was adding to the pain I already had from this dd.....

I cannot tell you how many hours of my life I have spent worrying about "WHAT IF" I continue to deterriorate and need stronger meds......

Now I have peace of mind knowing that it is just a matter of "CHANGING THINGS AROUND"!, and that is it not a definate matter of increasing or adding somethng more potent!
    I just wanted to share this important information for those of you who have worried like I have about what will happen in the years to come in regards to taking your pain medications and wondering what you too will do when it no longer is helping like it once was

....I do hope this gives you some peace of mind knowing that an increase in pain meds is not the only way to continue to control your ap!

Canbrit, Iam so sorry that your dr is doing this to you!

Most Dr's just do not get it at all when it comes to pain medications!!!!!!!

I have done a lot of research and trying to educate myself about the use of pain medications and it amazes me how much more even "I" know than some Dr's!

No...of course Iam not saying Iam a Dr or even close to knowing some of the things Dr's know....but it is very clear to me that MOST Dr's do not have a clue when it comes to pain medications and their patients that need them!

My Dr does teach other Dr's about pain medications and prescrbing them properly for their patients as well as their rights to do so for the patients that need them...

I wish that it was mandatory for all Dr's to be educated on what is really the TRUTH and what is the NEED!

and that is that Dr's need to stop making the drug seekers the top priority and instead make the poor patients that are suffering their top priority!

But I just thought that enough of us have wondered this question about becoming immune to our pain medications and this theory my dr has certainly has eased my mind for the future and my pain medication needs!

Love you all
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2008]
  2. featherme

featherme New Member

Trials and Confusion Caused by Prescription Drugs
    Lorene Weaver

Last October I had been taking lyrica for about a year. I had put o 20+ pounds, was short of breath taking a shower or trying to tie my sneakers, and breathing at times was a real effort. One day, the day I visited my rheumatologist, I came down with laryngeal edema - a feeling of drowning in my own fluid. He verified the condition and that began six weeks of horrible withdrawal plus the pain returned that the lyrica had taken away. Many with fibromyalgia do not respond to medications like those who don’t have it.

During this time for two years I had been suffering with sweating spells that no doctor was able to track down. They were debilitating. I felt weak and sick when I had them. November I was in the hospital with heart related problems. I made it through December without seeing the inside of a hospital. January, February, March, April, May and July and September something had me in the hospital. I had gall bladder surgery and my right foot operated on for the second time in an attempt to restore what went wrong with the first surgery.

After my foot surgery, I had no pain relief for the first twenty hours. It was the most painful time in my life. No anesthesiologist in this teaching hospital could come and see me between the hours of 3 P.M. and 10 A.M.!
    When one did come, his comment was “You’re in pain. I can tell by the look on your face.” No, duh! I’d only been complaining forever.

I was given the normal dosage of pain killers. My tolerance level was far higher for I’d been on lortabs 7.5 for at least four years. The normal dosage simply didn’t cut it. I should have stressed that during the preop meeting as I found out too late.

They finally gave me pain pumps. After four days in the hospital I went to a rehab where I was put on oxycodone and oycontin. I did notice I had no sweating spells and wondered about it. When I got home after seven days there, I was weaned off the “oxies”. I took lortab as needed. The sweating spells returned. It was then I realized I was hooked. With the help of an ex-addict friend I went through yet another horrible withdrawal period. The pain was back, but I began to feel mentally a little different.

It was at this time the osteopath I relied on for pain control, started seeing patients less and less. He finally told me he was moving his practice to a town about an hour away but it would take several months. I was excited for him as he has a definite talent that more people need access to. I asked if it would be another six weeks until I saw him and he said no that it would be two weeks. He looked me right in the eye and lied to me. I think he was afraid to tell me it would be more like nine months. Losing all pain control and still expecting to get a phone call about an appointment, caused me to lose it emotionally and I took a horrible trip filled with hopelessness, anxiety, depression, unusual attention to my physical screamings, and I desired to give up. The idea of suicide was a frequent visitor. I think the getting off the drugs played an important role mentally. I was so messed up and I tried to act “normal”. My therapist didn’t really even catch on. I was definitely adrift in some world! Life was not fun.

My pain did not allow me to garden, but I could swim. I was busy with PT but not making much progress pain wise. My physiatrist put me on topamax. It did help with taking the edge off the pain. I noticed my thoughts became obsessive and I wrote emails about my thoughts to my osteopath. I finally had to renew the script and that’s when I read about mental mood changes as side effects and a light bulb popped. I stopped taking that! Things didn’t change right away. I felt terrible about so many things that had happened during that time. It was an uphill battle and I couldn’t do it alone. A man came to town from Tennessee and preached at my church every evening for four nights. I went to them all. God saved the best for the last and on that night he sovreignly healed my mind. I learned I’d rather the physical pain over the mental distress and pain any day! I have a sense of freedom, joy, and peace I haven’t had in a long time. I can have these - freedom, joy, and peace - even with the pain, because I am not afraid of the pain any longer.

I am afraid of prescription medications and will be ever so cautious taking on anything new, no matter what I read or hear. It will have to be proved I am in desperate need of that medication or no go.
    Copyright © 2008,Lorene Weaver

3. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

You have been through so much..and Iam proud of you for your bravery and strength!

I also commend you for you ability to endure your pain everyday.....you are one strong strong person!

Unfortunately Iam not strong like you and I cannot nor do I care to endure the pain I have....

for me when I was not taking pain medication I had NO quality of life...and my days were filled with thoughts of suicide....

pain medications under the careful supervision of a highly qualified physician who is specially trained in pain management is what has given me my quality of life back!

If it were not for pain medication I would simply not be here!

I really appreciate you sharing your story and the time and effort it took to post it here.......

and Iam sure that there are many of us that wish we had the strength that you do.....but unfortunately our pain is much too strong to bear....

So..my hat is off to you...you are doing great and wish you continued strength and ability to handle your pain your way!

4. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

5. featherme

featherme New Member

Today I had an osteopathic appt. and I spasmed all over the table as usual. After I got up, I found I couldn't move. I was stuck. My thighs especially seemed unmovable. The nurse walked by and I asked her to grab my crutches for me because I was stuck. With her help and the crutches I made it back a foot or two to the table and laid down. My feet felt they were encased in cement and I had a great deal of pain in my legs. I couldn't move them or tell really where they were. The doctor came back in. I could feel him touching me but still couldn't move my legs. He had another patient and then came back and worked on me for a little while. He left again. My right leg started to feel better as did the cement feeling on my foot. My left leg was still painful and encased. He came back in and helped me get up. My right leg was a bit wobbly but walkable. My left leg was heavy and I dragged it (and me) with the aid of my crutches to the bathroom.

This is the second episode I have had of this. It's as though I'm paralysed. He had no clue. I have no clue. I gave in and agreed to a script of ultram. I read the side effects and am not thrilled but the pain woke me this morning at 4 and I never got back to sleep. I need to sleep.
    This was not the first time I've been awakened with pain and lost sleep. Anyone on ultram?

It is hard to have one more symptom pop up - there have been so many in these past months.
    With my faith, and now having a mind that's with it, I work at concentrating on other things when I'm not dealing with a doctor. Curiosity is one of my problems. I want to know and I can't at this point so I have to deal with that frustration or give it over so I can have my peace back. It requires work to throw out the thoughts about what is it, what is it going to lead to, when is it going to happen again and think about getting my book finished,working on my website, calling friends to check on how they are doing, etc.

Oh, I'm probably older than you, Doxy, and age does agree with me! I see things I never was able to see before when I was younger, teaching, raising four kids, and one husband!

I'm glad you have found pain medication that helps. I hope I have as well.

Hugs back,