? about pain specialists

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bibby, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. bibby

    bibby New Member

    My PCP has refered me to one but of course I don't know how long it will take yet to get an appt. but I was wondering exactly what do they do? Sorry to be such an idiot but I just have no idea what they can do.

  2. mamafurr

    mamafurr New Member

    still trying to figure that out. i went to one once. he was a quack and said "water therapy" LOL....so he will look at you and say..."yep you're in pain"...not to be flip. hoping you get a good one that can diagnose the issues at hand and prescribe necessary therapy/meds necessary. sorry to sound cynical but my experience was not optimum.

  3. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    My pain specialist was more knowledgeable about our illnesses than my other docs put together at that time. He did a physical exam and took my medical history. He mapped my tender points and wrote an Rx for Morphine to help me with my pain.

    My rheumy had already sent me for physical therapy, so he didn't do that.

    These docs are all different and there are good ones and not so good ones. You may have to shop around or you may find a good one on the first try. It helps if you can ask questions before making the first appt.

    Love, Mikie