? about pnuemonia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KYRock, Sep 9, 2002.

1. KYRock

KYRock New Member

I've got pnuemonia again for the 2nd time this summer.
    I've never had it before at least that I knew of.
    Can anyone tell me what's up with this?
  2. KYRock

KYRock New Member

I've got pnuemonia again for the 2nd time this summer.
    I've never had it before at least that I knew of.
    Can anyone tell me what's up with this?
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

It's possible that the first time around the pneumonia was down, but not gone completely. If that were the case then it would come back when you had finished your antibiotic, assuming it was bacterial to begin with.

I used to have sinus infections that lasted 6 weeks or longer and had pneumonia once, but it lasted a month!

Barbara
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

When I first got Fibro, I had pneumonia first, then brochitis,pleurisy, and severe sinus attacks.I got pneumonia and the other three for fifteen years off and on after that.

But for the last two years, I don't even catch cold. I have no idea why unless its the supplements I am taking now that has built up my immune system. I do know that drinking half my weight in ounces of water a day stopped the sinus, migrains, and cluster headaches plus a lot of my allergies are gone too.

I started wearing a thin tightfitting tee's under my shirts so that I would not catch a chill in the house or stores. I never, till yet go to a store without a jacket no matter how warm the weather is, the A/C in some places are so cold that it used to cause me to get a bronical infection, which in turn would give me bronchitis or pneumonia.

I hope this will help in some way, its really hard to have all these problems along with FM/CFS too!

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2002]
  5. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Barbara & Shirl both have good points. Your doctor, I assume, switched to a stronger antibiotic. I do know that once you get pneumonia, you're lungs get a little weaker & are more susceptible to getting lung infections, so talk to your dr as well abt vit supplements.

There's pros/cons to having a cool water vaporizer...my mom uses it for asthma...you may want to ask your dr. abt this as well, at least while you're recovering.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Had pneumonia last Sept., it was no fun...and I didn't have full-blown fms yet. Take care and let us know how you're doing, k? Michele
  6. Magnolia

Magnolia New Member

The answer to "what's up" isn't one that any of us can answer for sure. There are several possibilities: lack of complete clearing of the first pneumonia; re-infection from same or different bacterium or virus; poor breathing technique accompanied by poor hydration, etc.

What can you do to help clear it? Suggestions: Be sure to hydrate the air. (A cool mist humidifier/vaporizer while you sleep is an excellent means of doing this. Do not use any "medication" such as Vicks Vapo-Rub or Mentholatum, etc.) Be sure to do deep breathing exercises at least three times a day. Increase your fluid intake (a gallon of water a day if you can manage to get it down).

I hope this helps.
    Magnolia

P.S. Here is a copy of an earlier post which may help you and others who are interested.

***Ms Dee's Breathing Class.... 08/05/02 04:19 PM***

...this is not to say that anything said so far is incorrect or incomplete...but...sometimes, hearing the same thing said by several different people is helpful...we may pick up a different important point from all who speak on the subject. So here's Ms Dee's 15-cents worth (inflation, you know.)

As already stated, diaphragmatic breathing is the way we were created to breathe. If you will watch a baby sleeping on his back, you will see his tummy rise and fall with each respiration...rarely will you see his chest do much of anything...and, if so, there is minimal movement.

As already mentioned, a good way to train yourself is to lie on your back and place a small weight on your abdomen...on, and slightly above, your bellybutton. If you're not concerned about strengthening the muscles of respiration...just remembering to use them... your two hands with fingers laced across your abdomen will be sufficient resistance.

The aim of this exercise is to learn to fill your lungs FROM the bottom and to empty them completely all the way down TO the bottom.

Breathe in slowly through your nose being sure that your tummy rises the first thing and that you continue to breathe in slowly until there is no more room for air.

Breathe out slowly through "pursed lips" (formed as if you are going to whistle)...the parts of you which expanded when you breathed in should flatten out in reverse order...chest falls first and then abdomen.

Once you have learned to use your diaphragm for breathing instead of your chest and shoulders, you should continue to do this exercise daily. You should be in a standing position or an erect sitting position. If you are likely to become "dizzy", you should, by all means, do this while seated.

If done correctly, you will not hyperventilate from doing this exercise for only five breaths in and then out.

The most important thing about breathing properly is not only how much air you get in...equally important, is how much air you get out.

When you exhale, do so completely before you take your next inhalation.

When people are in pain, upset, afraid, or in a state of panic, they often reach a point wherein they feel they are "smothering" or "can't get any air in" and this feeling causes more fear and panic and the situation gets worse and worse until someone intervenes to help the victim get out of the situation into which they have actually put themselves.

This phenomenon is the result of "breath stacking"...it is a matter of not being able to get any air in BUT the reason for no air going in is the fact that there's no room in the lungs for it occupy. The lungs are already quite FULL with the air that has not been breathed out properly.

For one to breathe to maximum benefit, the air must go into the lungs in a smooth flow...not bouncing around the airways causing bronchospasams and must go to the lower and outer areas of the lungs to give any benefit at all. This is the reason for the slow breath in and for taking that breath through the nose.

To exhale to maximum benefit, the airways must remain open and not collapse due to bronchospasm and the lungs must be emptied as completely as is reasonably possible. This is the reason for the COMPLETE exhalation through "pursed lips" (the pursed lips create a "back-pressure" which keeps the airway at least partially open and functional even in the case of an asthma attack).

But, assuming that you will never have any "emergency" or reason for concern about your ability to continue breathing, these instructions are vital to proper respiration.

If these deep breaths are made a part of your daily life, you will be able to reap many benefits. Your tissues will be better oxygenated, the carbon dioxide which is the waste product of our use of oxygen will be eliminated more efficiently and you will feel much better.

Try doing this exercise at LEAST once a day (5 complete breath cycles)...but, don't forget to do it when you just "don't feel good"...do it when you are having to exert yourself unduly (and, for some of us this includes the simple act of walking)...do it when you are feeling stressed...do it first thing in the morning while sitting on the side of the bed upon arising...do it sitting on the side of the bed just before lying down for the night.

Use it for "everything" just like the Snake Oil Salesmen told their customers to use their products in the olden days...but...unlike the Snake Oil, this WILL help you.

In friendship and a desire to help others.....MsDee

And, another one:

***07/02/02 12:17 PM***

Those who have been around smokers for any length of time could have been smoking their own cigarettes with NO MORE harm than they have received from the cigarettes of others.
    Actually, if they had not been inhaling their own "second-hand" smoke (the smoke which comes from a burning cigarette whether anyone is puffing or no), they wouldn't have as MUCH damage. The smoke which comes from the end of the cigarette is much more destructive because it has not passed through the filter.

Also, just walking outside and breathing the nasty substance which is presented as "fresh air" is extremely destructive in many cases...the level of "destruction" depends upon WHERE one is breathing it. (Elevated level of toxins in manufacturing areas, areas of high traffic flow, etc.)

And...to promote better Respiratory Health and to do other wonderful things for your body-as-a-whole, there are breathing exercises.

This is one I recommend (I "invented" it at the same time Dr. Cheney was "inventing" it, I guess...'cause we both know it and neither one of us told the other about it.).

1) Stand or sit erect.

2) Inhale DEEPLY (and reasonably slowly) through your NOSE.

3) When there is room for no more air, purse your lips
    (in the EXACT manner you would use for whistling) and
    exhale slowly and COMPLETELY through your mouth.

4) Repeat this process for a total of at least 5 complete
    breaths in-and-out.

5) This should be done at least once a day...and can be
    done as many times a day as you desire without harm to
    you. Each time you do it, concentrate on the two words
    "slowly" and "completely".

Not only is this an excellent thing to do for your airways, it something that your WHOLE BODY will love you for. Each time you do this, you're giving all your tissues an extra "snack" by increasing your blood's oxygen content.

I hope that together Jackie, Mikie and I have been of assistance...and...I will be quite happy to give you any answers I may have at any time you ask for them.

In friendship and with a real desire to help you.....MsDee

[This Message was Edited on 09/10/2002]