About Probiotics! Look at this! Very unusual!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Prunella, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I came across this very unusal site about probiotics and gut health, although I did read about something like this in an issue of Science News a few years back. It (the Science News article) was about a procedure like this being done and how it cured a woman's IBS.

It is late and I don't have time to go into details. There is a place called Probiotic Therapy Research Center and they are located in Australia. Their website is probiotictherapy.com.au.

Interesting stuff. What do you think? To me it seems kind of scary and kind of promising. I am gald that someone is looking into this, although I would not be interested in a procedure like that till more is known about it.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/09/2006]
  2. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

I am not aware of the procedure but I have been taking DanActive for several months and my IBS has improved inmensely. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Thanks
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Oh my gosh! The site also states that the oral preparations are not capable of "adhering" to the intestinal wall, that only other human flora are capable.

I don't think the idea of having human intestinal flora from a donor is to appealing to me.
  4. dannybex

dannybex Member

Of course human strains are probably the best, but think of the testing, etc., needed to be done to make sure you weren't receiving any bad bugs from the host or donor!

Of course there are probiotic strains that adhere to the intestinal wall, and studies to prove it. Most though are in fact transitional, and don't hang around, pardon the pun.

from a website: "Lactobacillus Fermentum PCC™...provides a minimum of 2 billion live organisms that have been clinically shown to keep working for up to 48 hours."

and from another: "And while there are other bacteria that can contribute to a healthy intestinal balance, L. fermentum KLD is the tough one – able to survive a trip through the highly acidic environment in your stomach and to adhere and grow on the walls of the digestive tract."

d.

5. Prunella

Prunella New Member

What interests me about this site and what I think they are getting at is that there are so many bacteria, good and bad, in the gut that haven't been identified yet, that for some people the probiotics we have now either do not work or do not cover the needs we may have. That there may be other probiotics, yet to be identified, that may be beneficial,if not necessary for good gut health. Also, I know there are some probiotics strains that simply can not be made into supplement form.

If you look under "Donors" you will see that they do extnsive testing of donors so that they don't transfer other diseases the patient. (I hope this testing is sufficient. They list the tests they do, but who knows if they are missing any.)

The whole thing is very intriguing and like I said, I wouldn't be the first to volunteer for this, but if it can be done safely and effectively it could be a very good thing for those of us with IBS, CFS, etc. I read everthing on the site and get the feeling that someone is thinking out of the box and trying to do something to help people who are ill. They are not soliciting patients on this website. They just seem to be presenting what they do.
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

it was given to him by his personal physician to treat IBS symptoms and it worked for a while. There's nothing new about this theory. One proposed Tx is to make the GI tract sterile then use human flora.

Tansy
  7. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I take udo's probiotics. I heard they are really good. a dose has 30 billion in it. 8 strains. Does anyone know if this is good? I started it about a week and a half ago. Been actually feeling better but who knows if it's the probiotic or not.
  8. Txslady

Txslady New Member

DanActive daily and one acidophilus pearl (enzy.com/pearl)containg live bacteria. Check the website they offer a free sample.

Shannon
  9. Prunella

Prunella New Member