? about Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kloet4, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Kloet4

    Kloet4 New Member

    I have seen an internist and he thinks I have sleep apnea. If you have this do you know you have it? I am also doing a sleep lab on Wednesday night. I am nervous about this. What do they do to you at these sleep labs? Anyone with info would be much appreciated.

    God Bless All
  2. MJJBunny

    MJJBunny New Member

    The sleep lab was not scary. You arrive at night and they put you in a private room. They hook you up to a bunch of wires to all parts of your body to monitor you during the night.

    I found out that I don't have sleep apnea, but I do grind my teeth a lot. So I now wear a mouth guard at night.

    The experience was not bad at all. Don't be nervous.
  3. breton

    breton New Member

    Hi, Lisa,

    I have sleep apnea and had a sleep study done back in 1999. I've been told that most people aren't aware they have apnea until their partner mentions it to them. I knew something was wrong because my apnea was so severe. I'd start to drop off to sleep and jerk myself awake with this choking sensation. Over and over and over, sometimes all night long. I also knew that, according to my husband, I was a major snorer. But I never connected these symptoms with apnea until my husband read a newspaper article, stuck it in my face, and said, "This is what you do. You've been doing it for years." The article told about how people with sleep apnea stop breathing in their sleep. He said he'd been watching me at night for years. I'd stop breathing, he'd wait a minute or two to see what would happen, then he'd poke at me or shake me and I'd start breathing again.

    When it got so bad that I was falling asleep at my desk at work and going night after night with no sleep, I met with the sleep doc and we scheduled a sleep study. Here's what happens: You'll be scheduled to spend the night at the hospital. The technician will attach you (via some gunky adhesive) to a bunch of electrodes, and probably to an oxygen sensor that clips to your finger like a clothespin. You'll spend half the night sleeping as usual, with the tech monitoring your awakenings via the electrodes. The second half of the night, the tech will put a C-PAP mask on you and continue to monitor your sleep after you're on C-PAP. C-PAP is a machine that pumps air through your nose and into your throat to keep the passage open. This is why we stop breathing with obstructive sleep apnea. Once we fall asleep, the throat muscles relax and close up the opening so we're unable to get air. C-PAP, with its steady air flow, will prevent that from happening.

    I was very nervous about the sleep study, but the technician was a sweetheart, and I was able to relax. The only downside I saw was a couple of minor things. I wasn't really thrilled about somebody watching me while I slept. And when they took off the electrodes, it took me a day or two to get all the gunky adhesive out of my hair.

    When my test was finished, at 5:30 a.m., the tech told me I'd awakened 186 times. He also told me that my blood oxygen level (monitored by the clothespin-like thing on my finger) had dropped to 68. According to him, anything below 85 was dangerous.

    By 5:00 that night, I had a C-PAP machine sitting on my kitchen table. The equipment tech had driven 60 miles late on a Friday afternoon because the doctor didn't want me to wait until Monday to start on the machine. I was told later by the nurse at my doctor's office that the average pressure setting for most people is 7. Mine's set at 15.

    It was the best thing I've ever done. If you or your doctor think you have sleep apnea, get that sleep study done. A C-PAP machine can make a major difference in your life.


  4. cindy_cfids

    cindy_cfids New Member

    I've been through 3, nothing to be scared about. If you have sleep apnea, it is easily managed with a CPAP (breathing) machine. Do *NOT* let anyone talk you into surgery to remove tissue in your throat. A friend of mine had it done & it grew back within a few months - he now uses a CPAP machine also. My neurologist at the sleep lab said that was common.