? about sleep supplements meds, Mikie, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmakitty12, Mar 30, 2006.

1. granmakitty12

granmakitty12 New Member

I have been on the following prescribed meds for over 10
    years: amitriptyline,generic flexeril, paxil. These have
    definitely helped my sleep problems. I have fibro.

I would really like to try something from ProHealth for
    sleep problems and get off these drugs (especially the amitriptyline and flexeril.

I am thinking of ordering the ZMA and Melatonin. Does anyone have experience with quitting your meds cold turkey and going on supplements like these?

Any comments or help is appreciated. Thanks, Mary
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

ZMA and Melatonin can help some people but not others. However, even more important to you is to not quit those meds cold turkey. You will likely get into trouble if you do that. There is lots of documented evidence about the problems with quitting anti-depressants, especially Paxil. You can search this.
    My advice is, if you want to quit your meds, do it under Doctor supervision and do it very, very slowly.

Kathy.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2006]
  3. granmakitty12

granmakitty12 New Member

I appreciate your opinions and comments. I will ask my doctor before I make any changes. Mary
    bump
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I find the ZMA and the melatonin help me sleep as I'm weaning down on the Klonopin. The melatonin is a hormone and it comes with a lot of contraindications so it is definitely worth talking to your doc about. I can only take 1/4 tablet of the melatonin or I wake up groggy. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  5. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I would definitely not quit any or all your meds cold turkey. Try to wean off them one at a time, if anything.

Better yet, you may want to add in the melatonin or ZMA to your current protocol, see if you can tell any difference. If so, maybe then think about weaning the others. By the way, Paxil can have a fairly bad withdrawal. Not as bad as say Xanax, but wean slowly and gradually off that one.

What dose of Paxil are you on by the way? and is it the CR version?
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

you I'd try them first. Valerian or
    Melatonin and others noted. None of those did a thing for me.

SO I first tried Ambien but didn't like the amnesia qualities of it if you for some reason couldn't make it to bed immediately. So, my doctor went to the Trazedone at 50mg at first. Eventually after trial and error 150 mgs about an hour before bed works great for me. Let's me go to sleep and sleep through, though I could wake up if I had to. For me I have NO drowziness the next morning, but be forewarned that some do. It can take some trial and error but they will find something that works for you if you are patient.
  7. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Some natural things I've found very helpful for sleep and which have gotten me off Ambien is the following:

750mg Tryptophan (2 hours before bedtime)
    500mg Ashwagandha (2 hours before bedtime)

500mg Gaba at bedtime
    1mg melatonin at bedtime

This has really helped me to get a decent night of sleep without waking up all the time. And it's easy to fall a sleep. You might want to try it and adjust the doses as necessary. It took me a while to figure out what the doses were for me...everybody is a bit different. A friend of mine just takes 1000mg Ashwagandha and that's all he needs. I know other people on the board who take 1500mg Tryptophan and that works for them.

Just so you know, the tryptophan helps raise Seratonin levels which is important for sleep, The Ashwagandha really blocks cortisol well (that's when you wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep, it's cortisol that's keeping you wide awake) - I started using this about 2 weeks ago and it really has helped. The GABA is calming and helps the brain to calm down. And the melatonin is good for keeping your sleep cycle regular and also boosts the immune system.