About the mosquitoes in Alaska...HOW.....(tv show)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sleepyinlalaland, Jul 8, 2008.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

how are they tolerated?!!!

Tonite I watched the news show Primetime, featuring a guy who shares his yard and sometimes home with freely-roving bears of all sorts. Yes THAT was amazing enough and the question of his sanity (or at least WISDOM) is another topic.

What I was distracted by were the MOSQUITOES just forming a haze over EVERYTHING and hovering thickly over (or ON)everyones faces, yet no one seemed to flinch. (Ok, maybe it wasn't THAT thick, but ONE mosquito drive em around the bend.) How do they DO that? Mosquitoes seem to know when I'm around and I am a big holiday feast to those pests...I'd be bitten and driven to madness and insane itching in no time. Never mind the bears, I'd have been wearing a mosquito net and still would not be able to contain my frenzied swatting!

I know that Alaska is famous for their summertime mosquitoes, but what I'm wondering is...are they somehow DIFFERENT? Why is it that the news guy and the bear guy appeared unbothered; I mean why didn't they have welts and red lumps on their faces? Are Alaskans really tougher, or are those honkin big mosquitoes just milder than our "southern" variety.

I guess maybe they heavily applied Deet. Perhaps it stopped them from biting, but it didn't prevent them from landing on their faces. I twitch at the mere memory.

2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I think a mosquito is a mosquito, i thought MN was bad.

Those little bugger get into our house and at night keep ya awake. Even one is well versed in the art of torcher.
  3. greygodess

greygodess New Member

I watched the same program and must confess I never noticed one mosquitoe. Not saying they weren't there just that I was oblivious to them. Odd. Godbless